How many quality wins does Butch have since coming to UT?

Reality for the past two years:

Bama is a notch above everyone in SEC
The Vols are battling with FL, GA, LSU, AR, AU, A&M for next best.
These teams have beat each other up and each has lost big games they should have won.
OleMiss slipped last year.
KY, USC, Mizzou, Vandy, MissSt (minus Dak) are still trying to get up into that second group, but have pulled upsets from time to time.
Every SEC win is a tough quality win.

Reactions: 6 people
2013 -- 1 -- beat #11 South Carolina, 23-21
2014 -- 0 -- no signature wins; best was defeating unranked South carolina 45-42 in overtime
2015 -- 2 -- beat #19 Georgia, 38-31, and #13 Northwestern, 45-6 (!!)
2016 -- 4 -- beat Virginia Tech, 45-24, #19 Florida 38-28, and #25 Georgia 34-31 before the wheels came off; came back at end of season to beat Nebraska 38-24

Those are all quality wins; they're not all signature wins, but in my book they are all 'quality'.

Reactions: 10 people
I'm still boiling over losing to SC and Vandy last year. Despite our injuries we had a significant talent advantage over those 2 teams, a trip to to Atlanta was on the line, and a 10-2 finish to the regular season. Yet our mid major head coach BUTCH JONES CHOKED ON APPLESAUCE. So despite a few quality wins along the way, the inexcusable losses are more significant.

Reactions: 6 people
He's lead us to 3 bowl wins in a row for the first time in 20 years. He beat a VT team that finished with 10 wins and a #16 national ranking -- in front of the largest audience to ever watch an American football game. Was that a big game?

The more important question to me is are we getting better under Butch? And I think the evidence suggests that we are. I think if not for the unusually high number of injuries to key players last season, we win a couple more games and finish with 11 wins. That would make our last four seasons look like this...

2013: 5 wins
2014: 7 wins
2015: 9 wins
2016: 11 wins (-2 in reality due to the injuries, IMO)

He's recruiting quality kids who are staying out of trouble (for the most part), taking care of their academics and generally representing the school well. As long as we keep going along like this, I feel like Butch gives us as good a chance to win as any coach we could realistically hope to get to replace him.

I think any reasonable person would have to agree....

Reactions: 2 people
1st year : USC
2nd Year : None
3rd Year : UGA, Northwestern
4th Year : VT, UGA, UF, Nebraska

That puts me at 7 good wins.
This year Butch had some good wins to begin with but those were soured with Vandy and SC losses. Last year, I believe team over achived in games against OU and AL but could not finish to win those.

I think any reasonable person would have to agree....

That's the problem with us Vols fans, isn't it? :loco:

For me, any win is a quality win. Getting to see the boys in orange and white come away with a W is a privilege.

Sometimes it's just a bit sweeter than others... the UF and UGA games last year will never be forgotten, that's for sure.

Quality escapes:

Florida 2
Georgia 1
Vandy 2
USCe 1
OK 2
Alabama 1
Ark 1
aTm 1

Gosh, what could have been if we could have converted 50% of those to Wins? Pick any 5 or 6.

But, then again, we escaped a few ourselves (ASU16, UGA15-16, USC14-15 etc.), so it's all a moot point.

Last edited:
He's lead us to 3 bowl wins in a row for the first time in 20 years. He beat a VT team that finished with 10 wins and a #16 national ranking -- in front of the largest audience to ever watch an American football game. Was that a big game?

The more important question to me is are we getting better under Butch? And I think the evidence suggests that we are. I think if not for the unusually high number of injuries to key players last season, we win a couple more games and finish with 11 wins. That would make our last four seasons look like this...

He's recruiting quality kids who are staying out of trouble (for the most part), taking care of their academics and generally representing the school well. As long as we keep going along like this, I feel like Butch gives us as good a chance to win as any coach we could realistically hope to get to replace him.

This is why I'm still on the train. Believe me, I have a ton of ? marks and head scratches. But, overall, there are too many +s to overlook. Here's hoping that our staff is growing along with the rest of the program. If so, we may experience some exciting times again.

Reactions: 1 person
Alright, who brought the shovel?

xOeJM6.gif

This is why I'm still on the train. Believe me, I have a ton of ? marks and head scratches. But, overall, there are too many +s to overlook. Here's hoping that our staff is growing along with the rest of the program. If so, we may experience some exciting times again.

There's also just as many if not more -'s to overlook.

- Massive amounts of injuries every year
- Losing twice to vandy
- O'fer against Muschamp
- No Division Titles in year 4
- Downward recruiting trends
- No wins against the West
- Last year's cultural problems

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
2013 -- 1 -- beat #11 South Carolina, 23-21
2014 -- 0 -- no signature wins; best was defeating unranked South carolina 45-42 in overtime
2015 -- 2 -- beat #19 Georgia, 38-31, and #13 Northwestern, 45-6 (!!)
2016 -- 4 -- beat Virginia Tech, 45-24, #19 Florida 38-28, and #25 Georgia 34-31 before the wheels came off; came back at end of season to beat Nebraska 38-24

Those are all quality wins; they're not all signature wins, but in my book they are all 'quality'.

I agree. The only "signature" wins he has is 2013 South Carolina, 2015 UGA, and 2016 UF. Maybe 2016 VT due to the fact it turned out VT was a way better team tha people expected.

When UGA and UF are our main east rivals, I think those wins have to be considered quality.

That Northwestern team was pretty hyped until we beat their brains in. Then everyone decided they were overrated.

I think our fans don't appreciate our bowl wins. I understand the frustration of the season but Butch has clobbered each team in the bowl games. He has done a fantastic job with bowl preparation.

Reactions: 5 people
There's no doubt that the Vols have improved since the Dooley dark ages, but how much have they improved? They've won more games, but those wins have mostly been over lower tier non-conference teams and division teams in a historically weak Eastern Division. How many quality wins does Butch have so far? And what wins do you think count as quality wins?

Why don't YOU tell us, sport? :snoring:

I think our fans don't appreciate our bowl wins. I understand the frustration of the season but Butch has clobbered each team in the bowl games. He has done a fantastic job with bowl preparation.

Some fans appear to not appreciate any wins or anything associated with the program. I seriously believe they just love losing so they can complain.

Reactions: 4 people

The "-2 in reality due to injuries" is a weak argument that still stems from a Dooley like mentality.

I agree with Bill Parcells that you are what your record says you are. Tennessee flirted with disaster throughout the entire year. Sometimes they came out with a win, sometimes they didn't.

I could just as easily call "+2 in reality due to luck"

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I'm sorry but beating a solid Big Ten team in bowl games are quality wins.

They aren't program changers but they are quality for how good our team was that year. I think context for each individual teams potential has to play into what's considered quality, program stature you are playing, stage it is played on, the record of the team and their talent level. You don't need every one of those to be checked for a win to be quality but a few.

2013 - SC
2014 - @SC, Iowa
2015 - UGA, @Missouri, Northwestern
2016 - VT*, UF, @UGA, Nebraska

1 more each year!!!

5 quality wins coming this year folks.

GT, @UF, UGA, LSU and NY6 Bowl!

Reactions: 4 people
Here are quality wins I see:

'13- South Carolina
'14- Iowa
'15- UGA
'15- Northwestern
'16- VT
'16- UF
'16- UGA
'16- Nebraska

The "-2 in reality due to injuries" is a weak argument that still stems from a Dooley like mentality.

I agree with Bill Parcells that you are what your record says you are. Tennessee flirted with disaster throughout the entire year. Sometimes they came out with a win, sometimes they didn't.

I could just as easily call "+2 in reality due to luck"

Not an argument, just an opinion. Of course you're right, the opposite could be said. I would counter that some of those close wins might not have been so close if we had more of our key guys on the field. But the bottom line is we won 9 games and I'm not trying to give credit for more than that.

I realize all teams deal with injuries. And coaches and players can never be seen to use them as an excuse. But we, as fans, shouldn't ignore the effect when we're assessing the trajectory of our program. The win/loss columns don't always tell the full story.

We had high hopes at this time last year. I wish I had a dollar for every post I saw that said, "Barring injuries..." -- or some other words to that effect. Everyone realized that our depth was tenuous and we were still feeling the effects of the post-Fulmer debacle years. If I had a time machine and went back to tell all the injuries we were going to have, our expectations would have plunged. And I honestly think most fans would have viewed a 9-win season a lot differently than they do now.

Some fans appear to not appreciate any wins or anything associated with the program. I seriously believe they just love losing so they can complain.

It's been said that Tennesseans hate losing more than we love winning. I would bet that most of us can relate to that.

How many games has CBJ won that we had no "business" winning?

CBJ has improved our roster to the point that all games are winnable. It's past time to go win them.

Figure it out Butch.

VN Store

Back