How many quality wins does Butch have since coming to UT?

I see it differently.
Every thread, someone is pointing out the total number of wins or total number of SEC wins, since the arrival of Jones.
As long as the first couple of seasons are included, I see no problem pointing out the level (talent/experience) of the first couple of teams.

If you mean the issues he suffered upon his arrival should no longer determine his expected record, I completely agree.
But in general discussion of 'what has Jones accomplished', of course where he started is relevant to where he is now.

That was why my post included going forward specifically. Pointing out the obvious 2 years ago made sense then. Everybody knew UT wasn't gonna be very good his first 2 years in record, and that would have been the same for any other coach given the situation.

Knowing Jones was better than Dooley isn't enough to pile up confidence going forward. It was a slight sigh of relief 2 years ago that he wasn't a repeat of that, but that time has passed. The conversation going forward should be can you compare him to somebody that has won something here. He had a shot at that last year and it didnt pan. He ll have another this year given the condition of the East. Better make some hay. It's not gonna be this manageable forever.

Reactions: 1 person
Agree about the O-line, disagree about the secondary sucking. Oh and if they were controlling the line of scrimmage then why were they only able to score 2 TDs, one with the assistance of a muffed punt deep in our territory?

I said nothing about our secondary sucking.....their passing game was inept, their running game was working, they ran it 2/3 of the time with good success. Outside of the wheel route td pass to their running back where we neither covered nor tackled him, I don't recall our secondary at all that game.

If you doubt that both their OL and DL controlled the line of scrimmage, go back and watch the game. It was 13-3 at the half, and 13-6 late in the third. We couldn't block them and we struggled to slow them late with the game on the line....if their kicker hits a routine 40 yard fg, we start the season 0-1 to what should've been a severely overmatched Sunbelt team.

There's more than 2 imo - but for every quality win its seems like there's double the amount of sh*tty losses - like losing to Vandy half the time.

This is a good summary of the Butch Jones era. When he finally manages to capture a quality win he follows it up with humiliating losses to inferior opponents. The other big issue is that 90% of the time, his teams play like crap for at least 2 of the 4 quarters.

Agree about the O-line, disagree about the secondary sucking. Oh and if they were controlling the line of scrimmage then why were they only able to score 2 TDs, one with the assistance of a muffed punt deep in our territory?

Because their QB sucked. It's tough to string together long, sustained drives when you can't convert on easy pass attempts.

I said nothing about our secondary sucking.....their passing game was inept, their running game was working, they ran it 2/3 of the time with good success. Outside of the wheel route td pass to their running back where we neither covered nor tackled him, I don't recall our secondary at all that game.

If you doubt that both their OL and DL controlled the line of scrimmage, go back and watch the game. It was 13-3 at the half, and 13-6 late in the third. We couldn't block them and we struggled to slow them late with the game on the line....if their kicker hits a routine 40 yard fg, we start the season 0-1 to what should've been a severely overmatched Sunbelt team.

The person I was quoting made 3 statements about the 1st game, our O-line was bad, our secondary was in shambles after JRM was ejected, and Dobbs had a low QBR. I agreed with him about the O-line and Dobbs but pointed out our secondary played well in that game. You said I essentially agree with him, which wasn't true, our offense played bad in that game, our defense did not. Their O-line did a decent job, but at the end of the day they were 3-13 on 3rd down, their 1st TD was helped by a muffed punt and their missed FG was due to a long punt return. Our D laid some eggs this year for sure, but this game wasn't on them

This is a good summary of the Butch Jones era. When he finally manages to capture a quality win he follows it up with humiliating losses to inferior opponents. The other big issue is that 90% of the time, his teams play like crap for at least 2 of the 4 quarters.

This is where I'm confused, sure Butch isn't the best coach around, but other than Vandy and SCAR 2016 what other losses does he have to inferior opponents?

I consider quality wins games that i can go back and watch the highlights of on YouTube and be satisfied no matter what point of the video i click on:

IOWA and NW in 2 of last 3 bowl games. VT at Bristol. UGA in 2015. FLA in 2016.

Some of the games some of you posters are claiming are like the fans of other schools claiming a win against Tennessee is a quality win over the past decade. Some of these traditionally good schools have not been that when Jones has played them or their coaches have not been that good.

Ask yourselves, has Tennessee been a quality win for any of the teams that have beaten us over the past decade?

Some of the games some of you posters are claiming are like the fans of other schools claiming a win against Tennessee is a quality win over the past decade. Some of these traditionally good schools have not been that when Jones has played them or their coaches have not been that good.

Ask yourselves, has Tennessee been a quality win for any of the teams that have beaten us over the past decade?

it's that we haven't been that good the past decade that makes some of those wins "quality". hell, the best win we had prior was the NC State win 6 or 7 years ago.

if this was 90's TN, then of course, beating GA last year doesn't have the same feel to it. or VT. they would have fallen in the category of "should've won" games.

but where this program is, and where it's come from, yeah, you have to start winning games like that again, and we have done that, in varying degrees.

now, if you want to talk signature wins...that's another subject. not sure that i'd say anything other beating USCe in 13, GA 15 and FL last year would qualify as "signature".

now, to your other question....i think Vandy considers it's two wins in the last 4 as quality. USCe probably considers their win last year as 'quality'. FL in 15 probably does too. OU the same.

SC '13
NW '15
VT '16
UF '16
Nebraska '16

I don't count Iowa, because they were not good that season.
Nebraska was respectable and so was Northwestern.

Georgia in '15 finished 10-3 and unranked. They were not good.

Any Vandy win over UT is quality.

Any UT loss to Vandy is an inexcusable disaster.

Jones is 2 and 2.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back