How many FRESHMEN break the starting lineup this season?

At season's start? 0. I'm sure by season's end 1 or 2 may start due to injury. I imagine there will be between 6 and 10 in the 2 deep though.

We've got a consensus top 5 recruiting class coming in (ranked as high as #3 by 24/7). Even Alabama who has as much experienced depth as anyone in the country has stud freshmen win starting jobs for them year in and year out. Butch has recruited at such an elite level that it isn't asking much to expect 2-3 of these freshmen to turn into instant starters. Who do ya'll think can break the lineup this season? I'm pretty confident these 3 guys start from the jump.

Darrin Kirkland Jr. - starting MLB
Kahlil McKenzie - starting DT
Drew Richmond - starting RT

Shy Tuttle should be starting by mid-season.

not in the numbers you are stating

2014 - Cam Robinson 14 starts
2013 - OJ Howard 5 starts
2012 - Amari Cooper 9 starts
2011 - not a single freshmen started
2010 - Demarcus Milliner 9 starts
2009 - Nico Johnson 2 sarts
2008 - Julio Jones 14 starts, Don'ta Hightower 12 starts
2007 - Kareem Jackson 12 starts, Rolando McClain 9 starts
2006 - Andre Smith 13 starts

Other freshmen those years started very limited number of games. They have not started 3 true freshmen from the start and a fourth by mid season.

I would say none start game one but Mac could have a chance. See how quick he learns what to do with the scheme. the other two will definitely not start game one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
not in the numbers you are stating

2014 - Cam Robinson 14 starts
2013 - OJ Howard 5 starts
2012 - Amari Cooper 9 starts
2011 - not a single freshmen started
2010 - Demarcus Milliner 9 starts
2009 - Nico Johnson 2 sarts
2008 - Julio Jones 14 starts, Don'ta Hightower 12 starts
2007 - Kareem Jackson 12 starts, Rolando McClain 9 starts
2006 - Andre Smith 13 starts

Other freshmen those years started very limited number of games. They have not started 3 true freshmen from the start and a fourth by mid season.

I would say none start game one but Mac could have a chance. See how quick he learns what to do with the scheme. the other two will definitely not start game one.

We're not Alabama. I used them as an example only to show that even the most ridiculously stacked team in recent history has true freshmen start games for them.

Obviously we are nowhere close to Alabama in terms of depth or talent. Given the talent disparity, if Alabama has about 1 true freshmen start most of the games each season, then I would say I'm not that far out of bounds if I believe 3 true freshmen can start for Tennessee.

We're not Alabama. I used them as an example only to show that even the most ridiculously stacked team in recent history has true freshmen start games for them.

Obviously we are nowhere close to Alabama in terms of depth or talent. Given the talent disparity, if Alabama has about 1 true freshmen start most of the games each season, then I would say I'm not that far out of bounds if I believe 3 true freshmen can start for Tennessee.

you certainly have a right to your opinion. Understand your logic.

I disagree with 3 starters as I stated in the earlier post. If all 4 are starting by November it is because we are headed to a losing season and we may as well get them experience. That is possible but not likely.

JMO

you certainly have a right to your opinion. Understand your logic.

I disagree with 3 starters as I stated in the earlier post. If all 4 are starting by November it is because we are headed to a losing season and we may as well get them experience. That is possible but not likely.

JMO

SMH. Ole Miss had Laquon Treadwell, Laremy Tunsil, and Robert Nkemdiche start every game for them as true freshmen in 2013. They were considered the best players on the team (even as true freshmen) and led them an 8-5 record in the SEC west. An improvement over the 7-6 record the season before.

The idea that starting freshmen = losses is FALSE. Starting lousy freshmen = Ls. However, super talented freshmen are usually an upgrade over average seniors. I'm not comparing our class to that historic ole miss class. But, my point remains the same. Just because you rely on freshmen doesn't mean you're destined for losing.

Also, IMHO, Tuttle is more likely to RS than start. I know he was complimented in the spring but that's relative to the low number of DT's participating in spring ball and to his class. He looked good for an incoming Fr. I don't think I heard anyone claim that he was SEC ready from either a physical or mental standpoint. McKenzie appears to be both.

I'd be highly surprised if Tuttle redshirt. Barring injury, he's not a 5 year player. At the very least, he's looking at the type of workload we saw from freshmen like Mixon/McDowell last year. He may not start, but he needs to get some game reps to get a feel for SEC ball. The expectation for next season is to be playing in Atlanta in December and he will be counted on to help make that happen.

With Richmond, I could see it happening potentially. The coaches always harp on the OL being a developmental position and lord knows the DL he'll face every day in practice should give him an idea about SEC ball. I'm not sure you can say the same for Tuttle though.

McKenzie is such a dominant player, he'll be in the starting lineup from Day 1. I think Kirkland will be in the lineup by the UF game or before, and by
midseason Richmond will start at one of the tackle spots.
I see this as about right, although young Tuttle may be hard to keep off the field as well. Another case of a very real 5 star talent sitting behind older less talented players I just do not see happening.

SMH. Ole Miss had Laquon Treadwell, Laremy Tunsil, and Robert Nkemdiche start every game for them as true freshmen in 2013. They were considered the best players on the team (even as true freshmen) and led them an 8-5 record in the SEC west. An improvement over the 7-6 record the season before.

The idea that starting freshmen = losses is FALSE. Starting lousy freshmen = Ls. However, super talented freshmen are usually an upgrade over average seniors. I'm not comparing our class to that historic ole miss class. But, my point remains the same. Just because you rely on freshmen doesn't mean you're destined for losing.

I think the percentages favor losing but your right, doesn't mean certainty of losing. Attaching a link to a spreadsheet I keep up. Not 100% of to date with starts. SEC is up to date though. If you want to review.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...72nGxXOCz3SheMsM2OIKrjBk4/edit#gid=1937517945

Last edited:
I think the percentages favor losing but your right, doesn't mean certainty of losing. Attaching a link to a spreadsheet I keep up. Not 100% of to date with starts. SEC is up to date though. If you want to review.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...72nGxXOCz3SheMsM2OIKrjBk4/edit#gid=1937517945

percentages? are you kidding me? get your head outta the sand and notice that butch recruited a consensus top 5 class. you can't compare the freshmen who'll start for us this year to the average freshmen in college football. obviously, non-elite freshmen starting will hurt you badly. i'm assuming anyone who breaks into the lineup this year are similar in quality to what we saw from Hurd, Barnett, and Jashon Robertson last year or Marquez North and Cam Sutton in 2013.

here's a little nugget to chew on. In the last 2 years, if you go by Rivals rankings, Tennessee has recruited more 5 star and 4 star prospects than any other school in the country not named Alabama. if two or three freshmen break thru the ranks from such talented classes, then you best believe they're really good.

I'd be highly surprised if Tuttle redshirt. Barring injury, he's not a 5 year player. At the very least, he's looking at the type of workload we saw from freshmen like Mixon/McDowell last year. He may not start, but he needs to get some game reps to get a feel for SEC ball. The expectation for next season is to be playing in Atlanta in December and he will be counted on to help make that happen.

With Richmond, I could see it happening potentially. The coaches always harp on the OL being a developmental position and lord knows the DL he'll face every day in practice should give him an idea about SEC ball. I'm not sure you can say the same for Tuttle though.

Agree. Just no way Tuttle can redshirt IMO. We're way too thin numbers wise at DT. He has to be part of the rotation. He might need a RS, but we just can't afford it this year.

percentages? are you kidding me? get your head outta the sand and notice that butch recruited a consensus top 5 class. you can't compare the freshmen who'll start for us this year to the average freshmen in college football. obviously, non-elite freshmen starting will hurt you badly. i'm assuming anyone who breaks into the lineup this year are similar in quality to what we saw from Hurd, Barnett, and Jashon Robertson last year or Marquez North and Cam Sutton in 2013.

here's a little nugget to chew on. In the last 2 years, if you go by Rivals rankings, Tennessee has recruited more 5 star and 4 star prospects than any other school in the country not named Alabama. if two or three freshmen break thru the ranks from such talented classes, then you best believe they're really good.

Larry has direct connections to the program and has for a very long time. Though I tend to believe he's too pessimistic when it comes to predicting records... he's a guy who knows things.

You act as if no one has ever recruited two good classes in a row. Was it you that said earlier that you didn't care about stars?

There are some good, experienced, and now well developed players on this roster. There are a boat load of Sophs who got a lot of experience last year and now have a full year of development. For the first time in a while... a Fr will have to be very, very special to start simply because the Vols do not need them to start now.

And you can add to this that Jones prefers good, experienced, and well developed players over Fr.

People quickly forget our LAST recruiting class was also Top 5, so I am positive that several of those talented athletes will break the starting lineup by the start or end of the season. I see 1 Freshmen starting at the beginning of the season and that is Kahlil. By the mid-point, maybe as many as 3-4. Richmond will probably get a lot of playing time at the beginning of the season and then prove just how talented he is. By the Arkansas/Georgia game I expect him to be starting. Same with Darrin Kirkland.

I also think one person to keep an eye on depending on health is Preston Williams. He was a man among boys before his ACL and it seems like he is ahead of schedule. If Von Pearson is truly gone and not coming back and Williams is healthy, expect him to be a major factor and possible starter halfway through the season.

All I know is that it's great to be in this situation now instead of where we were 2 years ago!

;-)

Tennesseeduke

Agree. Just no way Tuttle can redshirt IMO. We're way too thin numbers wise at DT. He has to be part of the rotation. He might need a RS, but we just can't afford it this year.

I expect him to have some sort of role in the rotation by the end of the season. He may have a long way to go, but he should at least be the type of guy you can put in a 3 technique a couple times of game in passing situations and just let him attack.

That being said, I'd be surprised if he was one of the main guys in that rotation. He seems in line to be more or a role player this year.

The way I see it is that the more freshmen who start the better! Because if they are starting then they have beat out guys we've already seen play. So I hope we start 15 or more freshmen.

The way I see it is that the more freshmen who start the better! Because if they are starting then they have beat out guys we've already seen play. So I hope we start 15 or more freshmen.

Could happen due to injuries and suspensions too.

I love seeing positive threads like this. Especially after the last couple of days.

Butch's recruiting classes have been so deep and talented it's ridiculous.

Fringe 4 stars were headliners during Dooley's tenure. Now we forget 4 (and sometimes 5 star) players are even on the team.

Preston Williams will be a preview of things to come a couple of years down the road for this program. A five star freak having to ride the pine. I don't see him cracking the line up unless we have a ton of injuries at the position. It'll be great for his recovery.

McKenzie, Kirkland, and Phillips were possibly the 3 most impressive defensive players at the Army AA game, and Phillips was the most impressive of them all in the game. It would be hard for me to imagine, that if healthy, that all 3 are not starting at some point this season. De1 has stated that Phillips has the quickest first step of any prospect that he has ever seen. Then you have to think back to last season. None of us a year ago would have predicted Barnett or Robertson being game 1 starters or freshmen Alll Americans. Its possible that the 15 class is more talented top to bottom than the 14 class. Who had Evan Berry penciled in as the starting kick returner? I suspect when fall camp begins that there will be couple of pleasant surprises that have not been mentioned in this thread. KM, PW, and Taylor have all been mentioned this summer as complete physical freaks. When the pads go on, you never know who might shine. Realisticly, it would be hard to imagine a true freshman starting anywhere other than MLB, DT, or one of the OT positions by looking at the depth chart. But, looking at what we have in this class, I could see DE, CB, or even OLB being a possibility.

We can let the season play out and see what happens. Appreciate the conversation.

Larry has direct connections to the program and has for a very long time. Though I tend to believe he's too pessimistic when it comes to predicting records... he's a guy who knows things.

You act as if no one has ever recruited two good classes in a row. Was it you that said earlier that you didn't care about stars?

There are some good, experienced, and now well developed players on this roster. There are a boat load of Sophs who got a lot of experience last year and now have a full year of development. For the first time in a while... a Fr will have to be very, very special to start simply because the Vols do not need them to start now.

And you can add to this that Jones prefers good, experienced, and well developed players over Fr.

In 2000, I started recording season predictions for the VolQuest posters that wished to participate. Turned it over to someone else to keep up with several years ago. I believe he has them posted on one of the VQ boards.

But here is my pessimistic history on season predictions. :)

Year wins losses
2000 9 2
2001 9 2
2002 10 2
2003 10 2
2004 6 5
2005 10 1
2006 7 5
2007 9 3
2008 8 4
2009 7 5
2010 4 8
2011 6 6
2012 5 7
2013 5 7
2014 6 6

Note: I never predict a bowl game. don't know opponent so I'm not sharp enough to predict an unknown.

Reactions: 2 people
Also, IMHO, Tuttle is more likely to RS than start. I know he was complimented in the spring but that's relative to the low number of DT's participating in spring ball and to his class. He looked good for an incoming Fr. I don't think I heard anyone claim that he was SEC ready from either a physical or mental standpoint. McKenzie appears to be both.

His January enrollment and 7 months of training most likely negates that scouting report. He's a vital component of the DT rotation IMO.

VN Store

Back