How many FRESHMEN break the starting lineup this season?

What do you think about this year? Seems obvious the JUCO DL's were brought in to play right away. I don't think they signed any fr DL's, did they? I suspect all of the Fr OL's will RS barring injury.

agreed. still thin at this spot, so playing time is available in the rotation right now.

OL, i see all getting RS.

as for the freshmen only, you've already said it, and i agree....most will likely get a RS, and that's good. the ones that don't will only be because of the production they can offer in spots that still need it....WR namely.

Because of talent deficiencies in past years. It was never ideal...but it was necessary. Now we have UPPERCLASSMEN who don't have starting roles, but abundant talent.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see a few freshmen earn special team roles. If our 3rd string true freshman RB was starting on kickoff coverage all year, why not our 4th string true freshman RB in 2016? If someone like CFA, Warrior, Callaway, or Byrd gives us an edge on STs, he'll play. I'm not saying that we'll have the same number we've had in the past, just that STs are usually a spot where a talented guy can make a difference even if he's a little behind the curve from a S&C standpoint.

Iirc, he participated in all of 2015 spring practice except the last practice or two and the O&W game due to a thumb. He was given the "Andy Spiva Defensive Player Award" at the Orange & White game for his outstanding work in Spring Practice last year.

I don't recall him missing time as a freshman but certainly could be wrong there. I do know that he played in 11 games as a freshman and was very good on special teams.

He didn't miss any time this Spring so hopefully that's a good sign going forward. Hopefully 184lbs is an optimal weight for him and he stays healthy at that size.
I'm fairly certain he missed 2 games in 2014. I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I recall him being one of the long list of guys who were banged up the last couple games of the year but was able to use the weeks leading up to bowl season to heal up and get back on the field.

I'm fairly certain he missed 2 games in 2014. I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I recall him being one of the long list of guys who were banged up the last couple games of the year but was able to use the weeks leading up to bowl season to heal up and get back on the field.

I mentioned that he played in 11 games as a freshman, so he didn't play in two games, just don't know if it was due to injury. Certainly could've been.

No. I'm kind of excited to see if Byrd can give the O what it has been missing since Pig left.

Warrior looks physically ready but UT seems to have a glut of talented guys at S now. I could see a RS to save eligibility or a significant ST's role depending team needs.

I think Osborne has already staked a claim to either a ST's or back up role.

I don't think UT will need as much help from the Fr this year which will allow Jones to do what he would rather do anyway- red-shirt them and develop them before throwing them into the fire. This should reduce injuries and on the field mistakes.

There will almost always be a few guys in each class that are ready to play. UT has played quite a few over the last 3 years that weren't ready.
me too.

I mentioned that he played in 11 games as a freshman, so he didn't play in two games, just don't know if it was due to injury. Certainly could've been.

Yeah...I know he at least missed or was greatly limited for a string of practices because I had a buddy at the time who was privy to such things (not claiming insider status by ANY means...just knew a very low level guy at one point). But it's hard to find any info on whether the games he didn't play were because of injury or other circumstances.

Either way I can't wait to finally see him in action.

I watched his highlights yesterday, again lol. Byrd is one of the most electric guys coming in. He has size too. I imagine that he will get on the field as a freshman. He's just too good. As a receiver he looks great. The way he catches the ball. He's definitely more skilled at the WR position than many think.

I watched his highlights yesterday, again lol. Byrd is one of the most electric guys coming in. He has size too. I imagine that he will get on the field as a freshman. He's just too good. As a receiver he looks great. The way he catches the ball. He's definitely more skilled at the WR position than many think.

yeah, he's one of those "instant offense" guys. i don't expect him to start, but i expect him to see the field.

how much of an impact he has is up to him...but he can be one of "those" guys.....

one we haven't had in a bit...that Percy Harvin type of player that can break a defense back.

yeah, he's one of those "instant offense" guys. i don't expect him to start, but i expect him to see the field.

how much of an impact he has is up to him...but he can be one of "those" guys.....

one we haven't had in a bit...that Percy Harvin type of player that can break a defense back.

Yep I agree and I think that he will surprise some people. I am actually thrilled that we got him. His tape is sick. He blocked quit a few kicks too which shows is burst. He has the skills and the size to compete early.

Yeah...I know he at least missed or was greatly limited for a string of practices because I had a buddy at the time who was privy to such things (not claiming insider status by ANY means...just knew a very low level guy at one point). But it's hard to find any info on whether the games he didn't play were because of injury or other circumstances.

Either way I can't wait to finally see him in action.

Me too.

Now I'm going to flip sides on you.... :neener2:

The Vols need a "solution" at slot. I love J Smith. Really do. But I don't think he's the answer based on what we've seen him do. Plus, the Vols are anything but "solid" at the WR position.

Byrd has a wide open opportunity if we're all right about his talent to start vs ASU.

VN Store

Back