How long does C. Martin have to show improvement?

Ryan Kelly or not, Duke loses the game last night.

It's pretty clear, you just won't admit it has an effect...pre-injury duke was 15-0 had beaten the #2, #3 & #4 teams in the country and earned themselves a #1 ranking. Without Kelly, they are 1-2 and have lost to #18 & #25. How can you honestly sit here and say it shouldn't have an effect? Is K a horrible coach now in your mind because he clearly hasn't made the proper adjustments?

Rematch is March 2nd, Kelly should be back by then, we can revisit this then.

Last edited:
Then you must not have watched the actual game or halftime...Ryan Kelly was shown MULTIPLE times on the sideline and his injury discussed.

Jay Williams and Greenberg during half also were discussing what a different team they are without Kelly.

So...losing a starter who's a major contributor effects your team, that was my point. Oh yea, final score 90-63, way to have them prepared K.

I didn't watch the game or the half time show.

My point is, losing a starter before the season in September is very different from losing a starter in the middle of the season two weeks ago.

If you believe otherwise, that's fine. A coach and team preparing for a season without a player is very different than having to adjust midseason.

Reactions: 1 person
It's pretty clear, you just won't admit it has an effect...pre-injury duke was 15-0 had beaten the #2, #3 & #4 teams in the country and earned themselves a #1 ranking. Without Kelly, they are 1-2 and have lost to #18 & #25. How can you honestly sit here and say it shouldn't have an effect? Is K a horrible coach now in your mind because he clearly hasn't made the proper adjustments?

Sure it has an effect - it was two weeks ago midseason. What I disagree with is trying to equate cuonzo knowing he wouldn't have Maymon for the season and Duke losing a player midseason. You say those are the same, I say they are not.

And I disagree with cuonzo and this board constantly referencing Maymon as an excuse. I was only pointing out that the espn spot on the duke/miami game had a former duke player and he never mentioned a missing player as an excuse for getting blown out.

When that happens to UT, the first excuse is "if we had Maymon we would have won that game".

So you're saying Martin knew in August and September that Maymon would miss the whole season...I have to disagree with that, maybe that's the issue here.

not that I care about the ongoing discussion between UT IE and BTO - Miami did beat Duke at Duke last year and NC St gave Duke a run for their money last year at Duke.

That being said - please carry on.

And I disagree with cuonzo and this board constantly referencing Maymon as an excuse. I was only pointing out that the espn spot on the duke/miami game had a former duke player and he never mentioned a missing player as an excuse for getting blown out.

When that happens to UT, the first excuse is "if we had Maymon we would have won that game".

So one person in a 2 minute segment didn't mention Kelly...he was mentioned multiple times during the game, and was the focal point of halftime show.

So you're saying Martin knew in August and September that Maymon would miss the whole season...I have to disagree with that, maybe that's the issue here.

I have no idea when he knew he would be out for the season, but certainly there was no expectation of his availability prior to SEC play.

A coach's job is to prepare his team with the players he has. He knew well before the season started that it would start without Maymon. Continuing to use that like he did this week as an excuse is past ridiculous - it's sad.

I have no idea when he knew he would be out for the season, but certainly there was no expectation of his availability prior to SEC play.

A coach's job is to prepare his team with the players he has. He knew well before the season started that it would start without Maymon. Continuing to use that like he did this week as an excuse is past ridiculous - it's sad.

He said he'd miss November and reports were they expected him back by Georgetown game (prior to SEC play). Now whether you choose to believe that or not is up to you, but that's what the staff said.

There was before the season started.

Your attempts to say Maymon's absence has or should have NO effect on the team are as futile as they are senseless.

Then you must not have watched the actual game or halftime...Ryan Kelly was shown MULTIPLE times on the sideline and his injury discussed.

Jay Williams and Greenberg during half also were discussing what a different team they are without Kelly.

So...losing a starter who's a major contributor effects your team, that was my point. Oh yea, final score 90-63, way to have them prepared K.

Losing a player does affect your team but it can't be a continuous excuse for having a bad season like we are having so far. Martin has never ever made a tournament and has a lot to prove.

As for Duke, they were never going to go undefeated this season and probably/possibly would have lost at nc state and Miami with Ryan or without him. The next games against Miami and nc state offer no proof either bc duke will more than likely win whether Ryan plays or not.

There was before the season started.

Your attempts to say Maymon's absence has or should have NO effect on the team are as futile as they are senseless.

At some point using Maymon as an excuse is the same as using Tobias Harris as an excuse.

Going forward, eliminate the infection in Maymon's knee, rehab the knee as necessary, get Maymon on the practice court, and get him in playing shape w/o any setbacks. Then, look at the calendar to see where you are.

At this point, he is the most important key to the team's potential success in 2013. As a realist, I would worry about Maymon's health/return until he reports for the 1st practice in October.

Martin has until next year to get things figured out. If he isn't winning at higher clip and making the NCAA tournament, he's done.

I think he should have no problem at the very least sneaking us in the tournament....year four I feel will be his most telling season.

A few of you act as though Martin literally got up and said, sorry we're 9-7, but in my defense we don't have Maymon. He hasn't gone out of his way to name him, reporters constantly asking how are you gonna guard holloway, do you miss Maymon, how would Maymon being out there effect your team usually warrants a response with Maymon 's name in it.

I've seen multiple statements from CCM in which he says something like: yea we miss jeronne because he did this or that well, but he's not out there and we've got to play better without him. That's not an excuse IMO, that's the truth.

Whether some of you want to admit it or not, losing your best player hurts teams. People have mentioned examples and EVERYTIME there's an excuse of how it's a different situation. Look how different Mizzou and Duke have looked without key contributors. If you don't want to hear Maymon being mentioned ok, I can see that, but to think that losing Maymon shouldn't have caused this team to struggle some is just plain naive.

At some point using Maymon as an excuse is the same as using Tobias Harris as an excuse.

I understand the point you are trying to make here, at some point a coach just has to go with the guys he has on the floor. However, this comparison isn't the same. When I player leaves for any reason (graduation, going pro, whatever) the coach has an opportunity to recruit a replacement. With an injured player like Maymon you don't get a chance to replace him. You also can't call a guy up or sign a guy like in professional sports. So you don't only lose the player in question but you lose a portion of your roster. In a sport with only 13 scholarship players 1 guy sitting in street clothes is a pretty big deal. If that guy is your best player it's a very big deal.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back