How do you honestly feel about Butch as of February 2015, post-NSD?

I like CBJ ok. Beat Bama, UF and other ranked teams not named SC Jr and I'll like him better. Recruiting is great, wins on the field are what count.

Is "next year" ever going to arrive?

This...This...AND...THIS!

He has definitely proved that he can recruit in the SEC, but if he can coach kids up to SEC level of play still remains to be seen. We have to see serious improvement in wins this year. I'll be rooting for him every step of the way. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Spot on. Staring Worley ahead of Dobbs when he himself openly stated numerous times the best guys would play (red shirt or not), was just moronic. Plus losing to UF this past year was inexcusable. CBJ is far from perfect despite his following of blind sheep.

Reactions: 4 people
Gotta do some soul-searching on this one. Butch has the fans and the program hyped up right now. His recruiting is absolutely stunning, his energy is exciting, and he's got us going in the right direction with getting to a bowl game, winning the bowl game, etc.

It may be odd timing to have this kind of mentality, but truth be told I'm still in wait-and-see mode with Butch. He's still got some serious, inexcusable stains on his record from 2014. Namely, the Florida loss. He's done some great things, he's had some good wins, but he's also made some questionable decisions. Playing Peterman over Dobbs is a bit of a head scratcher, going ultra-conservative when he gets a lead, regardless of how small or large the lead is, seems to have lost a few games for us this year.

I like Butch Jones, a lot. He's making all the right moves, but I can't help but worry that he's one of those "can recruit the lights out, but can't win games" kind of coaches. I don't think that's the case here, but he's got to be able to win against decent/bad teams, in clutch conference games, under the lights of a packed out Neyland. He's got to start taking more risks IMO. Again, I like Butch, I could definitely see him being the right man for the job long-term. But I think it's safe to say that if he can't get Tennessee legitimately good again with the talent he's bringing in, we have a problem.

Thoughts?

Yea, just a thought for op...sit around and wait til Gruden gets hired, you won't have to think so much.

Butter side up:
He is a likable person. I believe he is sincere and genuine. He is a lights out recruiter. Our kids go to class and are learning. Few off the field incidents. The discipline and desire are there for both staff and team.

Butter side down:
I could do with less coach speak and less slogans. Butch is infallibly on point and message but a touch of candidness would be welcome at times. I understand he is trying to build a brand and he absolutely attempts to frame the conversation and steer it where he wants it, but at times...I would like to see Butch be less prepared on the mic.

I would like a more aggressive game plan, more variety in play calling. I so far rarely ever feel that we have out game planned or schemed a team. Spurrier might disagree, but so far we seem conservative and just serviceable on offense.

Overall I am very happy with Butch. I think as he establishes the brand and has more arrows in the quiver, we will hear fewer slogans and see more creative play on the field.

Took a wait and see with Butch from the start but I think I've seen plenty. He's lights out recruiting, best in the nation in my opinion. He's won some games he should have lost and lost some games he should have won. I'm convinced now thought that he will win and win big here.

Reactions: 1 person
Butter side up:
He is a likable person. I believe he is sincere and genuine. He is a lights out recruiter. Our kids go to class and are learning. Few off the field incidents. The discipline and desire are there for both staff and team.

Butter side down:
I could do with less coach speak and less slogans. Butch is infallibly on point and message but a touch of candidness would be welcome at times. I understand he is trying to build a brand and he absolutely attempts to frame the conversation and steer it where he wants it, but at times...I would like to see Butch be less prepared on the mic.

I would like a more aggressive game plan, more variety in play calling. I so far rarely ever feel that we have out game planned or schemed a team. Spurrier might disagree, but so far we seem conservative and just serviceable on offense.

Overall I am very happy with Butch. I think as he establishes the brand and has more arrows in the quiver, we will hear fewer slogans and see more creative play on the field.
Let's get this straight. You come out with "Butter side up/butter side down" and "arrows in a quiver," then poke a stick at slogans, demand less coach speak from a coach and request less preparation for his statements to the press. More aggressive? I guess you're OP's cousin in thinking a 1 or 2 deep roster can play balls out aggressive. OK. I'm sure CBJ will rest more comfortably when he adjusts to your reasoning. Go easy on the fella'.:thud:

Gotta do some soul-searching on this one. Butch has the fans and the program hyped up right now. His recruiting is absolutely stunning, his energy is exciting, and he's got us going in the right direction with getting to a bowl game, winning the bowl game, etc.

It may be odd timing to have this kind of mentality, but truth be told I'm still in wait-and-see mode with Butch. He's still got some serious, inexcusable stains on his record from 2014. Namely, the Florida loss. He's done some great things, he's had some good wins, but he's also made some questionable decisions. Playing Peterman over Dobbs is a bit of a head scratcher, going ultra-conservative when he gets a lead, regardless of how small or large the lead is, seems to have lost a few games for us this year.

I like Butch Jones, a lot. He's making all the right moves, but I can't help but worry that he's one of those "can recruit the lights out, but can't win games" kind of coaches. I don't think that's the case here, but he's got to be able to win against decent/bad teams, in clutch conference games, under the lights of a packed out Neyland. He's got to start taking more risks IMO. Again, I like Butch, I could definitely see him being the right man for the job long-term. But I think it's safe to say that if he can't get Tennessee legitimately good again with the talent he's bringing in, we have a problem.

Thoughts?

He's done better than most with no talent so I'm sure he'll be fine with plenty of talent. You should call him and tell him he needs to take more risks... He probably hasn't thought of that ..

Last edited:
If Butch starts getting big wins, then he will be the read deal! If not, he will be remembered as that kind of coach who talked big to recruits and media, but just couldn't finish the job. I know we are all (and should all) be pulling for him to finish the job. I think he's done great so far.

butch-jones-seal-kiss-by-a-brick.jpg

This is how I feel

Reactions: 5 people
Every coach makes mistakes and will have bad games on their resume. It happens. I think its safe to say that Butch will get us to around a Mark Richt level in the SEC. We still don't know if he has enough to get UT to elite status.

Let's get this straight. You come out with "Butter side up/butter side down" and "arrows in a quiver," then poke a stick at slogans, demand less coach speak from a coach and request less preparation for his statements to the press. More aggressive? I guess you're OP's cousin in thinking a 1 or 2 deep roster can play balls out aggressive. OK. I'm sure CBJ will rest more comfortably when he adjusts to your reasoning. Go easy on the fella'.:thud:

That was going easy. Sorry colorful language is a trigger for you.

He has definitely proved that he can recruit in the SEC, but if he can coach kids up to SEC level of play still remains to be seen. We have to see serious improvement in wins this year. I'll be rooting for him every step of the way. I'm cautiously optimistic.

So are we just going to ignore the huge strides Coleman, Reeves-Maybin, Mcneil, Aj Johnson, Jordan Williams, Sutton, Barnett, Maggitt, Worley, and Hurd has made?

It seems like he has a lot of players are playing their best football, and thats not even counting how many players he put in the NFL at the low programs of CMU and Cincy.

Reactions: 2 people
oh for the days of Dooley. It was so much easier for a coach to meet expectations back then. You didn't need to worry about what bowl game we would be in. You didn't need to bother to see if we were in the top 5 in recruiting. Saved so much time. Let's bring back Dooley. Who is with me?

Was at the bowl game and it felt like the good ole days and I feel more good things are on the way!

If all else fails just out talent em with what's he building!! Don't need to be cute and take chances as often when your good!! Relax and don't over think this!!! Butch has got it !! GBO

Dudes been here 2 seasons. Nice attitude.

My "next year" was more about the program in recent years than CBJ. Every year for what seems like forever, we're a year away. Sometimes 2.

I like the direction of the program, but want to see the overall results before the ball is swiped away again.

DAAldV51KUzUA.gif

My "next year" was more about the program in recent years than CBJ. Every year for what seems like forever, we're a year away. Sometimes 2.

I like the direction of the program, but want to see the overall results before the ball is swiped away again.

DAAldV51KUzUA.gif

If it helps, the majority of us got what you meant.

Butch is awesome. I don't know if he will win a national championship here, but I think at worst he will be a young Fulmer (minus 1998) or Richt level coach. Great recruiting classes, constant presence in the top 25, and 10+ wins at least every other season.

I think he's capable of winning a national championship, but he will need to start putting guys in the NFL with regularity for me to believe it will happen for him at at Tennessee. We will find out soon.

VN Store

Back