How do you honestly feel about Butch as of February 2015, post-NSD?

I remember a lot of talk about how much Fulmer "loves Tennessee".... Butch puts his heart and soul into it, and its 100% sincere.

Good old Doyle, gettin' ready to head off to third grade in the morning.

attachment.php
:eek:lol:

Reactions: 1 person
Happy with recruiting, representing UT and instilling the never quit mentality.

OC search - see how it pans out.

Dobbs - I wasn't watching practice so for now, I have the coaches opinions v Volnations.
Sorry guys, many of you sound convincing but just gotta go with those that were there.

Game day coaching - Talent gap is closing. We will know soon. Like a few, I have been confused by some decisions. Maybe confidence in the talent on the field will result in more aggressive tactics. But never thought about wanting him gone.

So far so good for Butch as things have fallen in place for him at just the right times in his 2 plus years. We all basically agree he is a great PR man and is doing great on the recruiting trail, though we are still at least one more top five class away from being a true contender for conference and national accolades. Things just have to keep going in a timely fashion for him and maybe we finally found a coach with a tad bit of good fortune on his side. His gameday execution is in the bottom half of the conference though and that is what is going to need to see major improvement if we are to excel further. If Butch does not basically get lucky and not win at USC this past year, then I do not know how much appeal he would have to our fans with another 5-7 losing season and no bowl appearance. I also think it would have hurt in recruiting as well as the Vols came off a great bowl win with quite a bit of momentum and national attention. We all know we need around 8 wins this season to keep the ball rolling and I believe talent alone can get you to that 8 win threshold, but to begin having 10 win seasons year in and year out like we all want then the jury is out and then some on Coach Jones. The UF game is his major black mark but there have been numerous errors in game management and play calling in quite a few games. We all hope that can change as he still is adjusting to the big world of the SEC. Time will tell I guess. Butch grade so far B-, but if he does not win USC game it would be C-...just think of how close that was. Then take terrible Dooley and his first year...he prob got a D+ and if we wins the LSU and UNC bowl game then he is looking at a B+. That is how finicky coaching is.

Reactions: 3 people
What exactly has he not done that we should be expecting from him? Win an SEC Championship? Anyone who thought that anyone short of Jesus Christ was going to get that mess that we were 2 years ago into a winning team in 2 year is diluted. He has done exactly what he needed to do. Recruit, retool, reinvent. For the first I me in 7 years we have a bowl win, 2 top 5 recruiting classes, and upbeat media coverage. The only people not convinced are a handful of people on VN.

He has the roster heading in a direction to win championships in the future.

If he dont, it wont be because he doesnt have good enough players.

Gotta do some soul-searching on this one. Butch has the fans and the program hyped up right now. His recruiting is absolutely stunning, his energy is exciting, and he's got us going in the right direction with getting to a bowl game, winning the bowl game, etc.

It may be odd timing to have this kind of mentality, but truth be told I'm still in wait-and-see mode with Butch. He's still got some serious, inexcusable stains on his record from 2014. Namely, the Florida loss. He's done some great things, he's had some good wins, but he's also made some questionable decisions. Playing Peterman over Dobbs is a bit of a head scratcher, going ultra-conservative when he gets a lead, regardless of how small or large the lead is, seems to have lost a few games for us this year.

I like Butch Jones, a lot. He's making all the right moves, but I can't help but worry that he's one of those "can recruit the lights out, but can't win games" kind of coaches. I don't think that's the case here, but he's got to be able to win against decent/bad teams, in clutch conference games, under the lights of a packed out Neyland. He's got to start taking more risks IMO. Again, I like Butch, I could definitely see him being the right man for the job long-term. But I think it's safe to say that if he can't get Tennessee legitimately good again with the talent he's bringing in, we have a problem.

Thoughts?

Butch does not mind going all in with plays. 2 years ago at home vs GA on 4th down, fake field goal, the pass to VW in the bowl game, balls to the walls in the game at Asc this year. But Butch plays the odds and the odds are if it is close play conservative. Do not give the ball game to the other team with a stupid play like the Seahawks did against the Patriots. The conservative play is run the ball twice if need be, but once probably gets it done, game over. The non-conservative call is a slant route and we know how that turned out for Pete Carroll.

Jones can not win either way on here because everyone is making decisions after everything has unfolded. He gets no credit when he calls successful play calls because all the THOUSANDS of coaches on here agree completely that that conservative call was right at that time because we made the first down, ate up clock and eventually went on to score a TD. If it fails then our armchair experts can come up with a multitude of sure fire plays that would work and all will tell you they knew that was a bad play Butch called irregardless if it was conservative or aggressive.

The man is fixing to start coaching JUST HIS 3 SEASON here. We can all see the quality of the players on the field is getting better. Do you not think the end result will be better play from better player? Of course it will. Give the man some time to get the studs in here to compete.

I HAVE TRUST IN BUTCH. I FEEL GOOD ABOUT OUR PROGRAM. WE JUST NEED TO PAY THEM MORE SO WE DO NOT LOSE THEM. I saw where that azzwipe Bielma got a raise, B1G championships or not I would not trade CBJ for 5 CBB's. UT needs to quit being so cheap and pay to keep good coaches.

Reactions: 2 people
I can't believe anyone who claims to be a Tennessee fan would not be behind Butch Jones 100% right now! It blows my mind. I certainly hope for your sake that the people around you don't expect as much from you as you do from other people because I sincerely doubt they get it! Apparently you don't get it either. Butch gets it!

Reactions: 8 people
Personally, I think he's done about as good of a job as anyone could have in his position. He didn't have much to work with but managed to pull out a winning season and a bowl win. He has far exceeded my expectations on the recruiting front.

The DeBord hire is a bit underwhelming but the guy has a ton of experience. I'll wait to judge that decision until I see it on the field in the fall.

Overall, Butch seems like a very affable, like able person who genuinely loves his job. He's got all the chips in place to deal a very powerful hand. I Don't know what I have to complain about right now.

I can't believe anyone who claims to be a Tennessee fan would not be behind Butch Jones 100% right now! It blows my mind. I certainly hope for your sake that the people around you don't expect as much from you as you do from other people because I sincerely doubt they get it! Apparently you don't get it either. Butch gets it!

It's possible to both like Butch and at the same time recognize that there are a couple of areas that he could improve upon. Still, he's pretty well met or in some cases exceeded my expectations at this point.

I'm not even sure what this means. All posts have given him credit for what has been accomplished. Everyone does support him in the fact that if he wins, UT wins.

My employers do expect a lot from me and pay me for that. And that pay is not in the ballpark with his.
I want to keep the guy.
What are you wanting? People to offer to have his child?

Reactions: 2 people
I have an 8×10 photo of Butch on my nightstand, that's how I feel.

I don't know that anybody could do any better at recruiting than he has at this point.

I like CBJ ok. Beat Bama, UF and other ranked teams not named SC Jr and I'll like him better. Recruiting is great, wins on the field are what count.

Is "next year" ever going to arrive?

Reactions: 4 people
I like CBJ ok. Beat Bama, UF and other ranked teams not named SC Jr and I'll like him better. Recruiting is great, wins on the field are what count.

Is "next year" ever going to arrive?

Welcome to next year. Spring practice is on the horizon. I'm thinking 8-4 reg season and 2nd in the East. 16 and on is when we'll really shine.

Welcome to next year. Spring practice is on the horizon. I'm thinking 8-4 reg season and 2nd in the East. 16 and on is when we'll really shine.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Butch seems like he's got the team headed in the right direction and the bowl win was a big positive. He's a good ambassador for the university and appears to be making the right moves.

I mean there are legitimate concerns. Not a lot of them, but they do exist. He obviously is completely sold out for Tennessee, which is great, again I just need to see a couple more fantastic on-the-field performances to think Butch is the guy that will lead UT back to glory.

Patience. Try it

Gotta do some soul-searching on this one. Butch has the fans and the program hyped up right now. His recruiting is absolutely stunning, his energy is exciting, and he's got us going in the right direction with getting to a bowl game, winning the bowl game, etc.

It may be odd timing to have this kind of mentality, but truth be told I'm still in wait-and-see mode with Butch. He's still got some serious, inexcusable stains on his record from 2014. Namely, the Florida loss. He's done some great things, he's had some good wins, but he's also made some questionable decisions. Playing Peterman over Dobbs is a bit of a head scratcher, going ultra-conservative when he gets a lead, regardless of how small or large the lead is, seems to have lost a few games for us this year.

I like Butch Jones, a lot. He's making all the right moves, but I can't help but worry that he's one of those "can recruit the lights out, but can't win games" kind of coaches. I don't think that's the case here, but he's got to be able to win against decent/bad teams, in clutch conference games, under the lights of a packed out Neyland. He's got to start taking more risks IMO. Again, I like Butch, I could definitely see him being the right man for the job long-term. But I think it's safe to say that if he can't get Tennessee legitimately good again with the talent he's bringing in, we have a problem.

Thoughts?
This thread is skeptical, OP, but in a veiled fashion. I'd say you're being subjective. How? Let's examine those "inexcusable stains" and "questionable decisions." Shall we? Florida's D line and linebackers...admit it or not...were some of the fiercest pass rushers and run stoppers UT faced last season. The Vols had no depth to speak of on either side of the ball. We couldn't score and didn't have the personnel nor the experience to switch our D to stopping the third option of a running qb when that new kid came in. By the 4th quarter...many times...that disparity of depth forced the coaching staff to play conservatively. Fatigue kills aggression. Or didn't you know that? As for Worley or Peterman over Dobbs: Just as was the case for players like Cam Newton or Jameis Winston, Dobbs hadn't been a very good practice player, either, and CBJ really, really wanted to RS him, realizing he'd be properly developed by the '15 season. Now we've got the same hand wringers questioning bUTch's choosing Mike DeBord as OC. I personally applaud this choice. I also am just as confident in Coach Jones' choices, and not just his stellar recruiting acumen. I'll give bUTch an A+ thus far.

Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back