How do you honestly feel about Butch as of February 2015, post-NSD?

Doyle's just depressed there's no football . He'll start cheering up when we go up 21 pts.on Bowling Green at the end of the first qtr.

This is all true, but this is the first season where he is able to compete in a fair fight.

year 1, he was playing with inherited garbage.

year 2, he was playing with children learning how to do it his way.

you're not going to be very successful trying to win under those circumstances.

this year he has players who have experience on the field, he has a QB, etc.

completely different ball game now.

One of the few that made sense in this thread. I can't believe I said that about a gator fan. CBJ is being attacked for being conservative, but that's how you need to manage a game with inferior and/or young talent. An appropriate analogy is you don't run and gun in basketball when all you have is slow short players.

Reactions: 1 person
Big butch is the man with the plan, 2015 he will have a sec🏆 in his hands and the praise of volnation any logical person needs no explanation 🍊🍊🍊⌚️⌚️💣💣💣💣💣

I think butch will be great, however, I am still in wait and see mode. I think this is the first year I will really be able to judge him. The program was so *****ed up from all of the horrendous series of events we went through that he came in behind the eight ball. He now gets to show what he can do with some depth (though it's extremely young depth) and lots of talent.

Reactions: 2 people
One of the few that made sense in this thread. I can't believe I said that about a gator fan. CBJ is being attacked for being conservative, but that's how you need to manage a game with inferior and/or young talent. An appropriate analogy is you don't run and gun in basketball when all you have is slow short players.

See I just completely disagree with this. Now granted, I'm no football coach. No one has ever hired me to coach a D-1 college team, and rightfully so, but in my opinion when you have younger, inferior talent you have to be creative. Going up by 14 in the 1st quarter and then sitting on the lead and going conservative is a poor strategy when you are outmatched. Eventually the bigger, faster team is going to muscle their way into the end zone. You have to outsmart the other team, keep them constantly guessing and try to confuse them.

It seemed like James Franklin had this philosophy at Vandy during what is destined to forever be their "glory years." Franklin was an absolute tool, but he was very creative in his playcalling, and he won a lot of games he shouldn't have won with VASTLY inferior talent because of it.

That's all any of us have... and zeal for the Vols of course. Otherwise we wouldn't be discussing football like this in February... :good!: Throwing opinions at each other and disagreeing doesn't hurt a thing as long as people can handle it.

I'll agree to disagree with you on all the statements above this one. Good discussion, but I have students that keep asking why I am on the computer during class, so I had better let it go for now. Good discussion though.

As to the last paragraph. We are in absolute agreeance. I've been on the receiving and to my shame the giving end of the stupid mud slinging. More to my shame, I'm sure i'll be on the giving end again. It is nice to have the occasional adult conversation about differences of opinion though.

Back to the Physics lesson now......God help em, Tennessee Football has me pumped up tonight. :crazy:

I feel very similar to the OP. For all we know he could absolutely crash and destroy our program for good or he could win championships and become a legend. Way too early to tell.

Gotta do some soul-searching on this one. Butch has the fans and the program hyped up right now. His recruiting is absolutely stunning, his energy is exciting, and he's got us going in the right direction with getting to a bowl game, winning the bowl game, etc.

It may be odd timing to have this kind of mentality, but truth be told I'm still in wait-and-see mode with Butch. He's still got some serious, inexcusable stains on his record from 2014. Namely, the Florida loss. He's done some great things, he's had some good wins, but he's also made some questionable decisions. Playing Peterman over Dobbs is a bit of a head scratcher, going ultra-conservative when he gets a lead, regardless of how small or large the lead is, seems to have lost a few games for us this year.

I like Butch Jones, a lot. He's making all the right moves, but I can't help but worry that he's one of those "can recruit the lights out, but can't win games" kind of coaches. I don't think that's the case here, but he's got to be able to win against decent/bad teams, in clutch conference games, under the lights of a packed out Neyland. He's got to start taking more risks IMO. Again, I like Butch, I could definitely see him being the right man for the job long-term. But I think it's safe to say that if he can't get Tennessee legitimately good again with the talent he's bringing in, we have a problem.

Thoughts?

Chatt, you're still basically pissed at the Florida loss. If Dobbs had played we would have won so you should relax with the fact that Dobbs will play and we will beat Florida this year.

Gotta do some soul-searching on this one. Butch has the fans and the program hyped up right now. His recruiting is absolutely stunning, his energy is exciting, and he's got us going in the right direction with getting to a bowl game, winning the bowl game, etc.

It may be odd timing to have this kind of mentality, but truth be told I'm still in wait-and-see mode with Butch. He's still got some serious, inexcusable stains on his record from 2014. Namely, the Florida loss. He's done some great things, he's had some good wins, but he's also made some questionable decisions. Playing Peterman over Dobbs is a bit of a head scratcher, going ultra-conservative when he gets a lead, regardless of how small or large the lead is, seems to have lost a few games for us this year.

I like Butch Jones, a lot. He's making all the right moves, but I can't help but worry that he's one of those "can recruit the lights out, but can't win games" kind of coaches. I don't think that's the case here, but he's got to be able to win against decent/bad teams, in clutch conference games, under the lights of a packed out Neyland. He's got to start taking more risks IMO. Again, I like Butch, I could definitely see him being the right man for the job long-term. But I think it's safe to say that if he can't get Tennessee legitimately good again with the talent he's bringing in, we have a problem.

Thoughts?

soul searching? Really? soul searching? it's a damn FOOTBALL team!

Chatt, you're still basically pissed at the Florida loss. If Dobbs had played we would have won so you should relax with the fact that Dobbs will play and we will beat Florida this year.

Negative. We will never beat Florida again. The sooner we all accept it the better off we'll be.

soul searching? Really? soul searching? it's a damn FOOTBALL team!

What I meant by that is you have to really put thought into it. If you don't, you'll just go by the knee-jerk reaction of "Top 5 recruiting class heck yeah he's the man for the job yeeeee-hawwww."

Put your pacifier back in.

Negative. We will never beat Florida again. The sooner we all accept it the better off we'll be.

dr-evil-right.gif

We hired a mystery chef who has proven he knows how to pick the perfect ingredients that go into making the perfect soup. The soup is cooking now, and we don't know how it's going to turn out, but it has the potential to be really good. Whether our mystery chef turns out to be a Gordon Ramsey or Wolfgang Puck, we have no idea... because he could just as likely turn out to be no better than the Swedish Chef.

We just don't know yet . ... But he's got an eye for good ingredients, that's for sure.

I hate to bring this up and spoil the party but........Butch Jones knows 10x more about everything being discussed here than any of us. We might as well be debating "Global Warming"

At least Tennessee football is real and not a perpetrated political hoax and is actually worth debating. Point taken.

I can think of three play calls that were truly questionable. I'm sure there were others, but the pass inside the 10 at Oklahoma. Going under center and then calling a slow developing handoff inside our own one at Georgia and the pass into double coverage at the end of the Florida game really stand out.

Do we blame those on Bajakian or Jones?

The decision not to play Dobbs is on Jones without question and I'm sure, privately, he would like a do over on that one.

On the other hand, no coach is going to be confident in his play calling with a patchwork offensive line that has shown itself to be slow of mind and foot picking up stunts, loops and blitzes.

VN Store

Back