Holly Warlick's response worse than Lady Vols' loss

One thing beyond coaching, a team takes on the personality of the coach. That is one reason Pat's teams were so tough and had fight in them and would not lose. ESPN is even questioning the coach now!!

Last edited:
1. No one is dumb enough to expect Holly to be Pat. Some may think she is being held to "too high" of standard (whatever your standard may be) and initally that may have been true. However, she is 6 years in now and I think people just don't wanna lose to Alabama anymore and be fighting at the middle of the pack in SEC when you have 5 top 15 players on your roster.

What they do expect is for Holly to put together a staff to address the areas she lacks so the team can continue to be good. They must evolve to stay good. Even Pat wasn't an offensive whiz and Holly doesn't need to be either but like I said before, she gets 3 paid assistants time for somebody to either show skills to help w/ offense or maybe take the same route SCar did and hire someone outside the program for a short term contract like Staley did w/ Balcomb for a year to get that offense in order. All that being said... she's not going anywhere until she retires.

2. I fully expect losing Geno and likely CD @ the same time to hurt. That's a combined 60+ years of experience. You aren't going to just find that somewhere else.

3. What happened to UConn MBB after Calhoun retired? They won another Championship, under Ollie. In fact, they did it w/ the women in 2014. Only school to do it twice. Also, the ONLY sport the conference effects is WCBB. It is still very competitve on the mens side w/ the American getting Cincy, Houston, & Wichita State in the NCAA and a couple others into the NIT. When the AD was trying to get UConn into the B12 it was for WCBB & Football only. The issue is they keep trying to sell it as a package deal and nobody wants UConns football team in their league.

Ollie won it with Calhoun's (most likely ineligible) players. Ollie didn't know how to cheat as good as Calhoun hence, the unemployment....

And yes, Holly needs to be fired (needed to be fired at least a year ago)...

One thing beyond coaching, a team takes on the personality of the coach. That is one reason Pat's teams were so tough and had fight in them and would not lose.

Exactly...If the coach is the main focus, the team isn't.

That team coached itself yesterday. They looked like a pickup game against a school team. The pickup team had "sum of the parts" by a country mile.

At 2:20 of Q3 we led 35-39, at the 3:30 mark of Q4 after 8 minutes and 50 seconds of enduring a 19-3 run a timeout (3 left) was called....We can't put that on these kids.

Reactions: 5 people
Exactly...If the coach is the main focus, the team isn't.

That team coached itself yesterday. They looked like a pickup game against a school team. The pickup team had "sum of the parts" by a country mile.

At 2:20 of Q3 we led 35-39, at the 3:30 mark of Q4 after 8 minutes and 50 seconds of enduring a 19-3 run a timeout (3 left) was called....We can't put that on these kids.

Oh, good lord, Jump. Is the time oUT thing the only dead horse you can beat this morning?

I like time outs, too. But some coaches don't. Rick Barnes is notorious for saving time outs; he just said so in his most recent presser. But now he's up for national coach of the year.

(Then again, they lost in the second round. 🤔 Maybe you ARE on to something. Lol)

Reactions: 1 person
Oh, good lord, Jump. Is the time oUT thing the only dead horse you can beat this morning?

I like time outs, too. But some coaches don't. Rick Barnes is notorious for saving time outs; he just said so in his most recent presser. But now he's up for national coach of the year.

(Then again, they lost in the second round. 🤔 Maybe you ARE on to something. Lol)

Re-read it Chatt....8 minutes and 50 seconds of enduring a 19-3 run with no called TO.

You say you're a coach...Be one
over being a coach-fanatic, brother.

I am fair with CHW.
I am loyal to UT.

I'm normally not a fan of his either and he didn't give our athletic dept. enough credit in the years it was thriving from 1995-1998 but I don't see how you can take issue with this column. There is no faster way to lose a fan base than to turn your nose up at them and act like you have better things to do than to try and win. Butch defined himself with the Champions of Life bs... Holly is doing that now.

Well if you become an occasional fan of his, we will never be rid of him. I feel he is the main reason why we have so many knuckleheads for fans. Since he is a knucklehead, the fans who read him become knuckleheads. Get a class act writing editors's commentary and maybe the knuckleheads will become classy in 20 or 30 years.

Holly cares more than just about anyone when it comes to the Lady Vols - and I don't doubt that statement for a second. She took over Pat's legacy and had to own the most historically impactful program in the sport from the get go. I believe she wants to protect these players from what they've failed to bring out in them, and she wants to deflect the burden of the Lady Vol legacy from being born by them alone. The statement was an emotional one that was both sincere and still sorrowful to see. I don't believe they can win titles in the current arrangement, but that doesn't mean I don't feel bad seeing her and the program in this spot.

Well the players are big girls now. They don't need "protecting". They need to be coached into better players, not to be babied into shadows of what they were meant to be. If they can't handle the burden, that Holly's fault. You don't deflect it from them, you show them how to carry it together.

When John Adams said this response was like Butch's "Champions of Life" comment, he was correct. Butch tried to tone down the expectations of the team by the fans, using phrases such as the above and that we should feel good about other aspects that have been improved. It all goes together and if there's not wins associated with these other aspects, fans simply expect more. After all many fans pay good money to see a good product on the field or court, not just to support the athletic department or university. Holly will receive the same reaction Butch did on this one.

She definitely is forgetting who is paying the bills for athletics that is the fans that spend their money to go to games and donate to the University. She acts like fans should not have a voice that whatever they do should be accepted.
I hope we can change direction now her thought process is wrong and is not giving fans any benefit for caring about the players. Fans want players to succeed they need proper guidance not gonna get it from Holly.

Two 5* seniors that showed little to no leadership. How does Holly defend that. ItÂ’s really a shame. Remember when lady Vols had solid leadership? Long gone

It really isn't the players' fault. It's the broken system and the broken spirits that resulted from the total lack of confidence that anyone had anything helpful to say or tell them to do every time the going got tough. Lack of confidence in leadership is the reason any group fails, and Lady Vol basketball is no exception.

Reactions: 2 people
Her response is pitiful! Instead being accountable for the piss poor coaching you try to shift the focus to something else. I really hope Tennessee boosters and alumni speaks up.

Kind of reminds you of another former coach doesn't it. We all know how that turned out. If the AD doesn't learn from recent history then he isn't very intelligent. The definition of insanity is, "doing the same thing the same way and expecting different results."

IMO, Holly has without question recruited women who presented as super talented high school players, but she also, without question, hasn't demanded that they improve once they get to big girl basketball. In recent years, talented high school All Americans have come to UT and been allowed to coast. The blame has to be squarely on the coach.

The toughness and drive of players like Gordon, Frost, Holdsclaw, Catchings, Randall, Parker, Simmons, Jolley, etc., simply doesn't exist on recent rosters. Warlick the player was a warrior. Pat made sure she was. Pat coached those legends up and demanded performance and effort. Warlick the coach has either accepted the obvious lack of toughness and effort exhibited by recent all-everything recruits or she doesn't appreciate that, like PS, her #1 job as a college coach is to toughen up the buttercups. Most floor leaders are made, not born.

She may be afraid that her high school wunderkinds will take their talent and leave if she demands more. I know that Russell and Nared have been talented athletes, good students and good young women. However, they have not been, in my opinion, determined floor leaders who demand maximum effort of themselves and those around them all the time. Holly coached teams go through the motions. They do not will themselves to out effort their opponents.

I seriously wonder how many of Holly's recent AA high school recruits would bale out if a truly demanding head coach gave them the choice of getting better and playing harder or learning to enjoy the bench or Division II basketball a la Rick Barnes. Make a mistake on the men's team and you sit, whether your name is Williams or a walk on. Every single player is held to the coach's standard and they either play as instructed or they are "invited" to sit down and think about it.

Holly is over her head as a coach. Two years ago I thought she needed time to perform. Now I think this legendary VFL player and assistant needs to be a senior athletic department adviser. I'm ready for someone who both knows the game and will demand improvement/performance from the players, regardless of how many prizes they list on their high school resume.

Reactions: 3 people
All the talk about Oregon State being such a tough draw.... what do they have one player in top 50 i think... while we have all stars/// why are they so good? I suggest it is because of coaching they have.... wish we could have gotten to next weekend

She has not 1 clue in whats shes doing or how to fix it

I was one for giving her a chance but in the last 2 years she has not fix the problem. What makes anyone thing she will fix it next year. It is time for a new Lady Vols basketball coach.

2. I fully expect losing Geno and likely CD @ the same time to hurt. That's a combined 60+ years of experience. You aren't going to just find that somewhere else.

3. What happened to UConn MBB after Calhoun retired? They won another Championship, under Ollie. In fact, they did it w/ the women in 2014. Only school to do it twice. Also, the ONLY sport the conference effects is WCBB. It is still very competitve on the mens side w/ the American getting Cincy, Houston, & Wichita State in the NCAA and a couple others into the NIT. When the AD was trying to get UConn into the B12 it was for WCBB & Football only. The issue is they keep trying to sell it as a package deal and nobody wants UConns football team in their league.
I agree with most of what you say, but you should check the AAC sports a little more carefully. While they aren't the SEC in football they had 3 ranked teams at the end of the season and were 4-3 in bowl games, including a UCF win over Auburn. Only undefeated team, UCF (13-0), USF and Memphis were ranked 6,21,25. They have a national championship in Women's Field Hockey, they represent well in soccer, ice hockey, women's volleyball, softball and baseball. Maybe these aren't marquee sports to some people, but they are important to others.

I agree with most of what you say, but you should check the AAC sports a little more carefully. While they aren't the SEC in football they had 3 ranked teams at the end of the season and were 4-3 in bowl games, including a UCF win over Auburn. Only undefeated team, UCF (13-0), USF and Memphis were ranked 6,21,25. They have a national championship in Women's Field Hockey, they represent well in soccer, ice hockey, women's volleyball, softball and baseball. Maybe these aren't marquee sports to some people, but they are important to others.

I am and was aware of all of those accolades for the other sports and was saying there are no issues there in terms of conference alignment & competitveness. I actually reached out to the Women's Field Hockey team to try and get a one of their commemorative shirts but couldn't (they were for the team only). I also follow the Women's Lacrosse team @ UConn. My point was that the only sport this conference really effects is WCBB.

YES, the American Athletic Conference is on par with the Southeastern Conference, especially with that dominant Women's Field Hockey program.

"This isn't about winning or losing". -Holly Warlick. There it is. " It's about young ladies getting better on and off the court". Well...I don't know how being talented and having it completely wasted is gonna make these girls lives better off the court. On the court? Nobody on this team got "better". They got progressively worse. Congratulations Holly.

I agree. She seems to think and is promoting the idea she's running some kind of social club. She's running a college sports team and she needs to get her head straight and seek employment elsewhere. Pat Head Summit was probably one of the most competitive people on planet Earth and the idea we're getting better somehow overriding we are not winning as we should would be an anathema to her. Leave Holly if you love the Lady Vols, you are hurting the program.

Holly was very close to telling us the players are "champions in life"............that would be enuf to fire her!!!:banghead2:

Ok so it's been 4 hours and I have some words, not many but some as it relates to our #ladyvols.

I was a player, so was Abby and Pashen and Tamika and Semeka and Chamique and Candace and Dawn and Shelley and Lisa and Pam and and and......

And I'm sorry but you just can't blame this on the coach. Players play. Players make plays. Players win games. Players make free throws or they don't. Players are on the court. Players are in control. Players contest shots. Players get defensive stops. Players make or cause turnovers. Players take charges or punk out and don't sacrifice their bodies to do so. Players hit chippies or they don't. Players dive after loose balls or they choose not to. Players are taught by their leaders, their coaches and I cannot stress enough the experience of this staff who is coaching these kids....is beyond what any other program can ask for. The grass is NOT greener on the other side folks. Players need to mature. Players need to value winning. Players need to feel the pain. So the next time when pain is looming, it feels different and therefore they will get a different outcome. I really don't care if some fans don't agree with what I am saying but we have great players and great players need to step up as they always have in the TN program. Onus is on the players. I will remind everyone that in 1996, we were 5 years without a Championship and Pat was as stressed as anyone EVER. She put the blame ON US to win. Mark my word, it was ours to win or not. So please before you throw a baby out with the bathwater in blaming Holly, just remember it's a journey, not a sprint. In today's Me first, Video game reset world, everyone wants to get rid of the coach and think it will make it all right. Not so people. Holly is a Pat's protege. She's got her blue print mapped in her body, soul and mind. You won't get any better, any closer to Pat than Holly. I'd like everyone to think about this post as we tend not to blame the players only the coaches. Trust me, Pat blamed us and held us responsible. Time for the players to own up. Whether anyone likes to read this or not, it's true and you can't argue it because I have been there and done that. 18 to 21 year olds are adults.

Holly warlick response was to you fans and media that talk sooooo bad about the players . I thought it was appropriate and needed to be said you guys can say whatever you want about her , but when she say something its worst please. We had a better season than last , we need guards that can shoot and I hope we can fix that

Fans see five star player coming to Tennessee number 2, 7, and 9 in the top 100. That immediately makes you think that players like this have to be able to shoot the ball, make free throws, etc. They may take a few games or half a season to get adapted. Then they are joining number one rated and number six rated player in their classes who are seniors.
So we have five players all rated as top ten players in their respective class and then we see this inability to perform the basics of basketball for the last 18 games of this season. We lose to a team with no top 50 players and have close calls with several others.
What does Holly think fans spend money, time and energy to see were not into participation trophies. You recruit players that are highly regarded fans expect they can perform to that level. If they can't why are they even here.

VN Store

Back