Holly Warlick's response worse than Lady Vols' loss

"This isn't about winning or losing". -Holly Warlick. There it is. " It's about young ladies getting better on and off the court". Well...I don't know how being talented and having it completely wasted is gonna make these girls lives better off the court. On the court? Nobody on this team got "better". They got progressively worse. Congratulations Holly.
They are “champions of life” with “5 star hearts” Holly IS Butch Jones

Reactions: 2 people
Off topic but since a UConn fan is posting here... I really think they are in for a taste of what it's like to lose a legendary coach when Auriemma steps down. Whether it's Chris Dailey or whoever steps in to replace him? This transition from one of the all time greats isn't easy. Look at the state of their men's program since Calhoun retired especially if they remain stuck in that mid-major conference. I think that's what their women's team is for as well.

That's probably true. It depends on what they do. If they hire the assistant coach, they are more likely to follow the doomed recipe Tennessee followed.

The formula for hiring a head coach was proven by the men's North Carolina program. They had a legend Dean Smith. He retired. They hired an assistant, Bill_Guthridge and that worked out about as well as Holly has worked out. They got a LITTLE smarter, but not much, by firing him and hiring a men's coach with at least 1 year of head coaching experience in Matt Doherty. He proved not up to the challenge. After 3 mediocre to bad seasons, they let him go.

The third time was the charm. They went out and got a PROVEN head coach with SUCCESS. Someone who had made the final game TWICE, never had a losing record more than 10 games outside the first season, and always made the tournament outside the first season. That coach, Roy Williams came to North Carolina from Kansas with an ALL STAR resume. In the 15 years to date since arriving at North Carolina, he's only had 1 "bad" season, but has delivered THREE national championships and one runner-up.

There are coaches like Roy Williams out there on the women's side now like Muffet McGraw and Wes Moore. We just need to fold a bad hand like North Carolina did with their two failed experiments.

The FUTURE can be better, but it won't happen by wishing it. They have to DO something about it like getting a better head coach. North Carolina, had TWO poor hiring choices after their legend, but NONE of those coaches were around longer than 3 years. North Carolina KNEW when to let them go and keep looking. It's been 6 full seasons with Holly. How much longer does this need to go on? Move on already. You aren't protecting Pat's legacy by keeping Holly as head coach. You are tarnishing it.

By the way, when Holly says "Don't blame the players", that reminds me of David Letterman calling out Jay Leno saying 'Don't Blame Conan' with that late night debacle. No one was blaming Conan. No one is blaming the players. Jay Leno was at fault with that late night theatrics because he said he'd walk away from late night and reneged on the deal. Holly is at fault now. I next to never blame the players because it starts with the coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
I just don't understand Holly's response. She didn't win any points by breaking down at the press conference, either. Most people are upset with her, not the players. Also, are the recruits coming there and getting better? Not really. Skill sets are not being developed and basketball IQ is horrid. And finally, Holly does know the season is over, right? I mean she said they would go back to work and get better. Ummmm...not Jamie, Mercedes and Kourtney. It's over for them.

Maybe it's time for it to be over for Holly, too!

Reactions: 9 people
"This isn't about winning or losing". -Holly Warlick. There it is. " It's about young ladies getting better on and off the court". Well...I don't know how being talented and having it completely wasted is gonna make these girls lives better off the court. On the court? Nobody on this team got "better". They got progressively worse. Congratulations Holly.
Champions of Life 🤔

Reactions: 1 person

Holly cares more than just about anyone when it comes to the Lady Vols - and I don't doubt that statement for a second. She took over Pat's legacy and had to own the most historically impactful program in the sport from the get go. I believe she wants to protect these players from what they've failed to bring out in them, and she wants to deflect the burden of the Lady Vol legacy from being born by them alone. The statement was an emotional one that was both sincere and still sorrowful to see. I don't believe they can win titles in the current arrangement, but that doesn't mean I don't feel bad seeing her and the program in this spot.

Reactions: 4 people
I just don't understand Holly's response. She didn't win any points by breaking down at the press conference, either. Most people are upset with her, not the players. Also, are the recruits coming there and getting better? Not really. Skill sets are not being developed and basketball IQ is horrid. And finally, Holly does know the season is over, right? I mean she said they would go back to work and get better. Ummmm...not Jamie, Mercedes and Kourtney. It's over for them.

Maybe it's time for it to be over for Holly, too!

That bothers me too. It's like she was feeling sorry for herself in that moment. I know that her players like her but do they respect her?

That's probably true. It depends on what they do. If they hire the assistant coach, they are more likely to follow the doomed recipe Tennessee followed.

The formula for hiring a head coach was proven by the men's North Carolina program. They had a legend Dean Smith. He retired. They hired an assistant, Bill_Guthridge and that worked out about as well as Holly has worked out. They got a LITTLE smarter, but not much, by firing him and hiring a men's coach with at least 1 year of head coaching experience in Matt Doherty. He proved not up to the challenge. After 3 mediocre to bad seasons, they let him go.

The third time was the charm. They went out and got a PROVEN head coach with SUCCESS. Someone who had made the final game TWICE, never had a losing record more than 10 games outside the first season, and always made the tournament outside the first season. That coach, Roy Williams came to North Carolina from Kansas with an ALL STAR resume. In the 15 years to date since arriving at North Carolina, he's only had 1 "bad" season, but has delivered THREE national championships and one runner-up.

There are coaches like Roy Williams out there on the women's side now like Muffet McGraw and Wes Moore. We just need to fold a bad hand like North Carolina did with their two failed experiments.

The FUTURE can be better, but it won't happen by wishing it. They have to DO something about it like getting a better head coach. North Carolina, had TWO poor hiring choices after their legend, but NONE of those coaches were around longer than 3 years. North Carolina KNEW when to let them go and keep looking. It's been 6 full seasons with Holly. How much longer does this need to go on? Move on already. You aren't protecting Pat's legacy by keeping Holly as head coach. You are tarnishing it.

By the way, when Holly says "Don't blame the players", that reminds me of David Letterman calling out Jay Leno saying 'Don't Blame Conan' with that late night debacle. No one was blaming Conan. No one is blaming the players. Jay Leno was at fault with that late night theatrics because he said he'd walk away from late night and reneged on the deal. Holly is at fault now. I next to never blame the players because it starts with the coach.

A like for the Letterman reference.

There is little chance that Warlick will be replaced; she might retire at some point. The low-energy AD assures this. Fulmer would have to actually sell the job; if you have seen him recently you know that much effort is just not feasible. Plus, all she does is get the team to the tourney every year. Sorry to have to point this out, but the days of Summitt are long gone. Tennessee will never be the recruiting draw it was in her heyday. I'm not satisfied with this; I just don't waste my money anymore. Disappointing end to two initially promising basketball seasons. Kind of defines UT athletics in the current era.

7 years at the helm (including PHS's last year) of one of the top 2 all-time programs, with top-tier facilities, and Final 4 talent. She can't get it done. It's sad, but she is not a championship coach. The program is regressing.

Reactions: 3 people
Off topic but since a UConn fan is posting here... I really think they are in for a taste of what it's like to lose a legendary coach when Auriemma steps down. Whether it's Chris Dailey or whoever steps in to replace him? This transition from one of the all time greats isn't easy. Look at the state of their men's program since Calhoun retired especially if they remain stuck in that mid-major conference. I think that's what their women's team is for as well.

1. No one is dumb enough to expect Holly to be Pat. Some may think she is being held to "too high" of standard (whatever your standard may be) and initally that may have been true. However, she is 6 years in now and I think people just don't wanna lose to Alabama anymore and be fighting at the middle of the pack in SEC when you have 5 top 15 players on your roster.

What they do expect is for Holly to put together a staff to address the areas she lacks so the team can continue to be good. They must evolve to stay good. Even Pat wasn't an offensive whiz and Holly doesn't need to be either but like I said before, she gets 3 paid assistants time for somebody to either show skills to help w/ offense or maybe take the same route SCar did and hire someone outside the program for a short term contract like Staley did w/ Balcomb for a year to get that offense in order. All that being said... she's not going anywhere until she retires.

2. I fully expect losing Geno and likely CD @ the same time to hurt. That's a combined 60+ years of experience. You aren't going to just find that somewhere else.

3. What happened to UConn MBB after Calhoun retired? They won another Championship, under Ollie. In fact, they did it w/ the women in 2014. Only school to do it twice. Also, the ONLY sport the conference effects is WCBB. It is still very competitve on the mens side w/ the American getting Cincy, Houston, & Wichita State in the NCAA and a couple others into the NIT. When the AD was trying to get UConn into the B12 it was for WCBB & Football only. The issue is they keep trying to sell it as a package deal and nobody wants UConns football team in their league.

CHW made a strange statement chastising the people who blame the players. She’s stepping on the toes of her own fans. The people that blame the kids for everything are the ones that support her no matter what. At least on volnation, that is. She should be thanking those people for blaming the kids, that way they are not blaming her.

I don't think Holly is a bad person. And I don't doubt for a second her love for the program. But does that necessarily make her the best person to continue coaching the Lady Vols?

I think this is what's causing the friction in the fan base.

If this was a school that normally finishes year in and year out about mid conference in standings, it would be different. Holly would be viewed as successful and doing her job.

But this isn't just your average women's basketball program. And although no one will ever come close to being Pat or achieving what Pat accomplished, does that mean we give Holly a pass for being slightly above mediocre?

Would Pat settle for that? I don't think so. And fans who say she would are kidding themselves. Did they REALLY watch Pat when she was stalking the sidelines? The things Holly's teams display would drive Pat nuts!

Pat would expect them to have high energy. Be fundamentally sound. Develop a high basketball IQ. Improve skill sets. Be competitive. Are we seeing that?

Those are things Holly and the players could control, regardless of player rankings/placement in the polls. We haven't seen any of that in the six years Holly has been at the helm.

Doesn't have anything to do with whether she is liked or nice. Is she doing her job?

Frankly.....no.

Reactions: 6 people
What's unfair to these players is the fact that they aren't being developed to their full potential and taught how to play winning basketball

By and large people have taken their anger out on Holly not the players. And the facts are a storied program like Tennessee should expect to win a lot more than they lose. But she is right about one thing it is more than that, there is NO TOUGHNESS or GOOD FUNDEMENTAL TOUGHNESS to this team or any that she has coached. Nobody wants to hear it's not about wins and losses, we realize your going to lose sometime but it is the way you lose. I have been proud of many teams I cheer for when the lose because the lose fighting hard with great effort, that hasn't been the case with most of Holly's team loses, we beat ourselves more than anything and that is coaching. We make the same type of mistakes over and over. Shame on Holly for lashing out at fans, acting like they are on the players. No they are tired of inconsistent play and at time downright lackluster play. In the end she is the coach, and anybody with eyesight can tell we are regressing not improving. Teams with much less talent get more out of theirs, and the teams outperforming us are growing by the day. We haven't been a well coached team since she took over. I have no doubt she wasn't a great assistant, but not all great assistants make great head coaches. That is what we have with Holly. That's not hate, that's just fact. GBO!!!!

Last edited:
There is little chance that Warlick will be replaced; she might retire at some point. The low-energy AD assures this. Fulmer would have to actually sell the job; if you have seen him recently you know that much effort is just not feasible. Plus, all she does is get the team to the tourney every year. Sorry to have to point this out, but the days of Summitt are long gone. Tennessee will never be the recruiting draw it was in her heyday. I'm not satisfied with this; I just don't waste my money anymore. Disappointing end to two initially promising basketball seasons. Kind of defines UT athletics in the current era.
Great programs don't crumble just because they lost a legendary coach. Now they may stumble a few years, but most of them would not stay with the same coach that took a legends place by saying well we can't never reach that level again. That is WEAK MINDED THINKING. Tennessee womens brand should sell a top flight coach, no doubt they could afford to pay a top flight coach. The resources are there to fully compete. Pat Summit's recruiting draw was earned with great coaching and wins over a period of time. But she overachieved, we need a coach that can overachieve and has drive to push they players hard. I'm sorry but Holly hasn't had 1 team that achieved their potential, much less overachieve. But to say Tennessee can't find a quality coach and reach the top of womens basketball and at least be a top 5 team is total hogwash. GBO!

Great programs don't crumble just because they lost a legendary coach. Now they may stumble a few years, but most of them would not stay with the same coach that took a legends place by saying well we can't never reach that level again. That is WEAK MINDED THINKING. Tennessee womens brand should sell a top flight coach, no doubt they could afford to pay a top flight coach. The resources are there to fully compete. Pat Summit's recruiting draw was earned with great coaching and wins over a period of time. But she overachieved, we need a coach that can overachieve and has drive to push they players hard. I'm sorry but Holly hasn't had 1 team that achieved their potential, much less overachieve. But to say Tennessee can't find a quality coach and reach the top of womens basketball and at least be a top 5 team is total hogwash. GBO!

This is correct. Unfortunately, our dysfunctional AD allowed a mediocre unproven coach to take over the most prominent program in the nation. All without even interviewing another potential candidate.

100% of the blame lays right there at the feet of the Dept. Now, concerning your post. As soon as the newly led AD acts shrewdly enough to suceed, then they will replace the current HC. And yes, even after the slow slip into WCBB on-court mediocrity, this program still has massive draw. The AD should be able to almost pick anyone they want, except for a handful.

A real elite wcbb leader can have the UTLV back in the elite of the sport in short order.

Really? Holly had the # 1 Recruiting class last year and has the #3 class coming in this year. It's just like UNC, KY and Duke in men's basketball. Anyone can recruit to a program with the storied history of the Lady Vols. The problem is, Holly doesn't know what to do with them when they get here. The ONLY reason they Winn any games is because the talent overcomes the lack of coaching. But when they are matched up with teams that have a better coach and almost equal talent, they get beat every time. If Holly really loved this program and University, she wouldn't wait to be fired, she would resign because it's more than obvious she is not going to work out.

85 Vols I like what you have said. If you really want to keep the program at its highest level, it is extremely important that you realize that the Coaching is the bedrock for this to happen. Without the best coaching you can find, your foundation will crumble and the storied program will fail. I realize the time of Pat is gone, but if you believe in what she has done and accomplished at the great University, change needs to happen...now!

Reactions: 2 people
We don't need you to rub it in our face. I'm sure you UConn fans are overjoyed at the state of the Lady Vol program.

I'm a UConn fan and I am not overjoyed at the state of UT basketball. I really miss the days of the UConn/UT rivalry when those games were the most anticipated games of the year.

This is correct. Unfortunately, our dysfunctional AD allowed a mediocre unproven coach to take over the most prominent program in the nation. All without even interviewing another potential candidate.

100% of the blame lays right there at the feet of the Dept. Now, concerning your post. As soon as the newly led AD acts shrewdly enough to suceed, then they will replace the current HC. And yes, even after the slow slip into WCBB on-court mediocrity, this program still has massive draw. The AD should be able to almost pick anyone they want, except for a handful.

A real elite wcbb leader can have the UTLV back in the elite of the sport in short order.

Exactly...........THIS job fell into her lap. No discussion. No looking for other. It was GIVEN to her. And who can blame her for taking it. But I can certainly blame her for allowing the program to degrade to where it is.

Talent. Highly rated classes ONLY expose her more!

Some on here are saying GREAT assistants don't always make good Head Coaches........well you could not be more wrong. She was NOT a great assistant.

Another interesting item.....the Supposed Fanz that went full tilt crazy for getting back the name Lady Volz and some Pale Blue on the Unis.......are the same ones supporting Holly???? Don't get it. If you want to protect the legacy, you would be marching to get a new Coach. :hi:

Exactly...........THIS job fell into her lap. No discussion. No looking for other. It was GIVEN to her. And who can blame her for taking it. But I can certainly blame her for allowing the program to degrade to where it is.

Talent. Highly rated classes ONLY expose her more!

Some on here are saying GREAT assistants don't always make good Head Coaches........well you could not be more wrong. She was NOT a great assistant.

Another interesting item.....the Supposed Fanz that went full tilt crazy for getting back the name Lady Volz and some Pale Blue on the Unis.......are the same ones supporting Holly???? Don't get it. If you want to protect the legacy, you would be marching to get a new Coach. :hi:

Don't assume.

I want that logo because it represents the college, coach, Pat Summitt and org that put women's BB on the map...Possibly, women's sports, all together was impacted...It has nothing to do with the staff or players at present. It is our heritage with this program to have that identity.

Don't assume!

VN Store

Back