Holly says we have One Starter

She shot very poorly in losses against Stanford, ND, and Vandy. She did have a solid game against UNC, a team with talent but not particularly well coached....

And Izzy shot very poorly against Stanford and ND, and could barely stay on the court without fouling in Vandy 1...but I'm not going to write her off as minimally improved based on those few games against tougher competition.

Stanford and ND - Ariel averaged 15.5 ppg. That is NOT an example of "fairly easy to scheme against". Against Stanford, she may not have shot well, but she got to the line 10 times.

Stanford and ND - Ariel averaged 15.5 ppg. That is NOT an example of "fairly easy to scheme against".

Actually the ND game is a PERFECT example of how she is easy to scheme against. She was a perfect 3-3 on three pointers, and a dismal 2-12 inside the arc. The book is out on Ariel. She can kill you from three if you leave her open, but make her put it on the floor and she's a very limited offensive player. The most consistent stat of her three years at UT is her poor true shooting percentage.

Actually the ND game is a PERFECT example of how she is easy to scheme against. She was a perfect 3-3 on three pointers, and a dismal 2-12 inside the arc. The book is out on Ariel. She can kill you from three if you leave her open, but make her put it on the floor and she's a very limited offensive player. The most consistent stat of her three years at UT is her poor true shooting percentage.

You're not telling the complete story. It wasn't that ND took away the three and dared her to put it on the floor. This is a player who shoots about 1/3 of her shots from beyond the arc. The reality is she played a great first half and a crappy second half...along with the rest of the team.

Stanford game, she was 1-2 from behind the arc, but 8-10 from the FT line...because she was putting the ball on the floor and driving. She may not have the most consistent mid-range game, but she can get to the rim against most teams out there and either get the layup or the foul. Look at what she did against Georgie and Shacobia Barbee (one of the better PGs in the league). 22 of her 28 points came from the within the arc or the line. Looks like GA had the wrong book ordered!

Reactions: 1 person
You're not telling the complete story. It wasn't that ND took away the three and dared her to put it on the floor. This is a player who shoots about 1/3 of her shots from beyond the arc. The reality is she played a great first half and a crappy second half...along with the rest of the team.

I told exactly what happened. The reality is one great coach made adjustments which included shutting down Ariel, the other coach didn't.

Look at what she did against Georgie and Shacobia Barbee (one of the better PGs in the league). 22 of her 28 points came from the within the arc or the line. Looks like GA had the wrong book ordered!

How many box scores did you rummage through to cherry pick that anomaly? Again, see my disclaimer about well-coached teams...

I told exactly what happened. The reality is one great coach made adjustments which included shutting down Ariel, the other coach didn't.

How many box scores did you rummage through to cherry pick that anomaly? Again, see my disclaimer about well-coached teams...

How in the hell can you claim to support a team that you only find fault with?

Reactions: 3 people
Massengale NEEDS to take the rock to the rim--needs to drive and score or get fouled and get to the line. It is true that she doesn't have much of a mid-range game. She can shoot the 3, however, and she's got a good handle and a wide body, which are two qualities tailor-made for driving to the basket. Massengale's big issue, IMO, is toughness--I don't see a lot of it from her, and she's not a real good defender either. She's got top-level PG skills but I don't see a lot of passion in her game.

a 5'6" pg taking the ball to the hoop is just asking for a blocked shot. She needs to worry more about running the offense, hitting the open teammate, and reducing TOs. Let the 6' guards take it to the hole. She already is concussion prone.... :(

The only issue I have with her is her toughness and defense. She sometimes seems timid when she's playing against a more aggressive guard. I've been watching old videos of past lady vols team and players like Bobbitt, Randall, Hornbuckle, etc were fearless.

Reactions: 2 people
Massengale NEEDS to take the rock to the rim--needs to drive and score or get fouled and get to the line. It is true that she doesn't have much of a mid-range game. She can shoot the 3, however, and she's got a good handle and a wide body, which are two qualities tailor-made for driving to the basket. Massengale's big issue, IMO, is toughness--I don't see a lot of it from her, and she's not a real good defender either. She's got top-level PG skills but I don't see a lot of passion in her game.

My thoughts exactly. We wont win a championship with Massengale as our lead alpha guard, can still be apart of the equation, but coming off the bench, someone tougher has to be there.

a 5'6" pg taking the ball to the hoop is just asking for a blocked shot. She needs to worry more about running the offense, hitting the open teammate, and reducing TOs. Let the 6' guards take it to the hole. She already is concussion prone.... :(

drive on every play. When there is an opportunity to drive, you do it. That is what every good guard does. Do you watch much basketball? Of course the PG runs the offense, and she /contributes/ to the offense when she can. Massengale is one of our more skilled offensive players, so we need her to score AND run the offense. What's more, most good teams have multiple players who can beat defenders off the dribble and get to the basket.

VN Store

Back