Holly says we have One Starter

You can disagree all you want but there isn't a choice. Moore is a spot role player, not good enough to play extensive minutes. There will be games Izzy is in foul trouble. Graves is the only other option. It isn't ideal, but she is capable. With Russell's redshirt, this is just the hand they've been dealt....

I call it like i see and the stats speak for them self. So im not gonna go back and forth with you on this issue and it is what it is.

If she can't play the 5 on offense against those teams, then she can't play the 4 against those teams either. IMO, she's better off trying to score 5 feet from the basket against Taya Reimer than trying to take Brianna Turner off the dribble 15 feet out.

Where she will hurt Tennessee is if Izzy gets in foul trouble and she has to defend the low post against girls that are 3 inches taller, with a much longer wingspan, and greater hops.

Like the next poster says, like it or not, she's the backup center. On offense, that works; on defense, she'll struggle.

Thank you and you are 100% correct

I really don't see any advantage to playing her there with all the actual three's we have that are quicker and have a better outside shot than she does. It makes you wonder what Holly has in mind for the inside Harrison and four perimeter players seems to be what she is thinking. If that is so then we would run the motion offense with four perimeter players and only one post. In this offense you can certainly spread the court for players to drive to the basket. Still it seems more ideal that the four perimeter players would be Massengale, Nared, Carter, and either Middleton, Tucker or Dunbar.
Still seems to me that Graves would be the backup post to Harrison in this offense. Guess we'll see what is up real soon.

In an ideal world, Izzy would play the 4 and Mercedes the 5. The 4 is where Izzy will likely be considered in the WNBA, and I think she would have been deadly from that spot. With Mercedes' injury, unfortunately this option is not there.

Graves would be a very good 4 if she had a face up game to go with her low post moves. If she's away from the basket, defenders sag off her and dare her to shoot the jumper. I hope she practiced that shot 100s of times per day during the off-season, because the 12-15 foot jumper is going to be the shot that's open to her day in and day out. She will need to capitalize if she wants to rebound from her disappointing season last year. I think at the end of the day, she needs to be in the game because she is a physical player.

Your idea of 4 perimeter players + Izzy only works if the perimeter players are scorers. Right now, only one of them (Ariel) is a proven scorer. Trying that line up before the players are comfortable taking the shots in games would not end in a good way for Tennessee.

Reactions: 1 person
In an ideal world, Izzy would play the 4 and Mercedes the 5. The 4 is where Izzy will likely be considered in the WNBA, and I think she would have been deadly from that spot. With Mercedes' injury, unfortunately this option is not there.

Graves would be a very good 4 if she had a face up game to go with her low post moves. If she's away from the basket, defenders sag off her and dare her to shoot the jumper. I hope she practiced that shot 100s of times per day during the off-season, because the 12-15 foot jumper is going to be the shot that's open to her day in and day out. She will need to capitalize if she wants to rebound from her disappointing season last year. I think at the end of the day, she needs to be in the game because she is a physical player.

Your idea of 4 perimeter players + Izzy only works if the perimeter players are scorers. Right now, only one of them (Ariel) is a proven scorer. Trying that line up before the players are comfortable taking the shots in games would not end in a good way for Tennessee.

Wasn't saying I support using it but if Graves is saying she is playing a wing position instead of in the post seems like a likely offense. I don't see her as one of three players on the perimeter and who would play the four if she was out there? I was just trying to rationalize why Holly would allow Graves to play the three only thing I could come up with.

Wasn't saying I support using it but if Graves is saying she is playing a wing position instead of in the post seems like a likely offense. I don't see her as one of three players on the perimeter and who would play the four if she was out there? I was just trying to rationalize why Holly would allow Graves to play the three only thing I could come up with.

I'd like to see them do that against smaller teams to 1.) Give Graves some confidence playing offense and defense i the low post and 2.) Get a lot of players valuable minutes. Rest Izzy and Ariel. Let Graves/Jones/Burdick play in the low post and get Dunbar some minutes at the high post. Give Middleton and co. some extended minutes. Of course, for this to happen, the starters need to come out and really lay it on at the start of the game and let the reserves finish the job. Tennessee has to stop playing down to the competition so that the bench can get more meaningful minutes without making it a win or lose situation.

Well then it happened today in her press conference Holly said we would play a lot four guards and one post offense and defense.

Well then it happened today in her press conference Holly said we would play a lot four guards and one post offense and defense.

That's a big mistake IMO. They weren't a very good post defense team...even worse without Russell. Better teams will have a field day pounding the ball inside.

Granted, UConn survived a few years ago with a 5'9 center, but that means they will really need to play some stingy perimeter defense. If teams get the ball inside, then Tennessee is cooked.

That's a big mistake IMO. They weren't a very good post defense team...even worse without Russell. Better teams will have a field day pounding the ball inside.

Granted, UConn survived a few years ago with a 5'9 center, but that means they will really need to play some stingy perimeter defense. If teams get the ball inside, then Tennessee is cooked.

I have to see what they are going to do. She may be talking to Donnie Tyndall who plays an undersized four to create matchup problems. I don't know what were going to do guess I'll know more after I see a game or two. Holly can be a bit of an air head when talking about how they will play. If I see them line up like last year Graves and Harrison on the blocks and three perimeter players. I will know she has no clue as to what she said at the news conference.

Its never been about size. Size has never won a championship. The best five players who play defense and play well together, I don't care about their height. I care about fight, will, heart.

We are not a championship team with Ariel as starting point guard and Holly always mention her third in the terms of leadership and point guard.

Its Draya's spot. Why keep giving underachieving players more opportunities to underachieve? Draya and Reynolds are simply better player, she prolly has more experience but they are better.

Draya
Reynolds
Jasmine Jones
Graves
Izzy...

Ariel and Burdick off the bench would be nice..going against a tired first unit or a team's second unit would be huge.

Last edited:
Holly is smart, she is playing to her team strength, why try to play a post heavy game when you have limited post players. Wow. Are really that slow? That we believe she should force and try to go the whole season playing the traditional 3/2 lineup. smh wow.

Holly please use the 4/1 a lot, this year especially with a hot shooter at the 4 spot to help free up Izzy, to give her room to work.

Its never been about size. Size has never won a championship. The best five players who play defense and play well together, I don't care about their height. I care about fight, will, heart.

We are not a championship team with Ariel as starting point guard and Holly always mention her third in the terms of leadership and point guard.

Its Draya's spot. Why keep giving underachieving players more opportunities to underachieve? Draya and Reynolds are simply better player, she prolly has more experience but they are better.

Draya
Reynolds
Jasmine Jones
Graves
Izzy...

Ariel and Burdick off the bench would be nice..going against a tired first unit or a team's second unit would be huge.

Draya - won't shoot
Reynolds - bad shooter
JJ - turnover machine
Graves - lacks confidence
Izzy - probable 1st team AA

That team you mentioned will not be a top 20 team, unless 80% of them come back this season as totally different players.

Holly is smart, she is playing to her team strength, why try to play a post heavy game when you have limited post players. Wow. Are really that slow? That we believe she should force and try to go the whole season playing the traditional 3/2 lineup. smh wow.

Holly please use the 4/1 a lot, this year especially with a hot shooter at the 4 spot to help free up Izzy, to give her room to work.

You play a post heavy game because 1.) your most experienced players on the team are post players and 2.) you need to have players that can defend the middle...that's why. Which guard do you want to have on Breanna Stewart, Brianna Turner or Aja Wilson? Talk about "SMH" and "wow".

Is Warlick smart? She certainly never impresses me with her analysis when talking about the team--lots of vague, nice generalities. She never gives the impression that she's got a real grip on our personnel.

Massengale SHOULD by the starting PG, but she is a bit of a dilemma for the coaches. She's got talent and experience, but she's also got some issues. She's not very tough, she's not a very good defender and she doesn't lead in the way that point guards should lead. Carter MIGHT be a better alternative at the 1--but then who plays the 2 (shooting guard)? We wouldn't have one! Massengale has never played the position, and Reynolds seems a more natural PG, no? She doesn't strike me as a 2, but maybe I'm wrong. If not, Carter will play the 2. We've got four guards, all of whom seem best suited for the PG position--bit of a problem. Otherwise, I think this team will rise or fall on the play of Graves and Jones--two players with size and athleticism and experience but whose offensive problems have held the team back. They each need to handle the ball better, pass it better, make better decisions, shoot it better.

you bunch of Debbie Downers need to sit down & chill. let the season play out a little before you cut your wrists.

Reactions: 4 people
Is Warlick smart? She certainly never impresses me with her analysis when talking about the team--lots of vague, nice generalities. She never gives the impression that she's got a real grip on our personnel.

Is armchair smart? He certainly thinks he is. However, he never impresses me with his analysis when talking about the team -- lots of criticism, coach-bashing, put-downs, complaining, and general pettiness without ever giving the team or coaching staff credit for anything. He never gives the impression that he's got a real grip on how to be much of anything other than a cantankerous, whiney old man who believes his opinions are more valid than they actually are.

Fixed.

Massengale SHOULD by the starting PG, but she is a bit of a dilemma for the coaches. She's got talent and experience, but she's also got some issues. She's not very tough, she's not a very good defender and she doesn't lead in the way that point guards should lead. Carter MIGHT be a better alternative at the 1--but then who plays the 2 (shooting guard)? We wouldn't have one! Massengale has never played the position, and Reynolds seems a more natural PG, no? She doesn't strike me as a 2, but maybe I'm wrong. If not, Carter will play the 2. We've got four guards, all of whom seem best suited for the PG position--bit of a problem. Otherwise, I think this team will rise or fall on the play of Graves and Jones--two players with size and athleticism and experience but whose offensive problems have held the team back. They each need to handle the ball better, pass it better, make better decisions, shoot it better.

I think you need to see what happens once the season begins before you write these players off.

Reactions: 4 people
Holly says Jasmine Jones vastly improved her offensive game and floor game. I hope that is true because she really can play defense.

Draya - won't shoot
Reynolds - bad shooter
JJ - turnover machine
Graves - lacks confidence
Izzy - probable 1st team AA

That team you mentioned will not be a top 20 team, unless 80% of them come back this season as totally different players.

You play a post heavy game because 1.) your most experienced players on the team are post players and 2.) you need to have players that can defend the middle...that's why. Which guard do you want to have on Breanna Stewart, Brianna Turner or Aja Wilson? Talk about "SMH" and "wow".

Sound logic, two experience post players and you want em to play one of the hardest schedule and play in one of the hardest conference all year. hmmm I can tell you never played the game or coached. Oh well, but you would play players who have underperformed their whole career.

I think they both are better defenders and we won a game against a top 5 or top 10 with Ariel not playing, when was the last time that happened. I would roll the dice with the more athletic, better defensive players, younguns, give the youngens a shot Holly.

I don't care about offense, cos if you play good defense the offense will come. Defense and rebound wins championships.

Last edited:

If we defend like a team that want to win a championship, that means more possessions. If we rebound the basketball more possessions. I do agree this season hinges on Graves and JJ and their ability to make the other team pay, but if we defend and rebound the basketball, everything should be fine.

Rewatch the SEC championship, last year. We lose that game without Reynolds, and Reynolds can play the 2 in the old lady system, 1-3 were pretty much interchangeable, it all depended on who the had the best matchup.

Last edited:
Holly says Jasmine Jones vastly improved her offensive game and floor game. I hope that is true because she really can play defense.

Jasmine don't have to be a scorer. We need her to be a lock down defender so other team best player don't have their best night against us. How much energy she spends on defense, a simple layup can be a chore?

We need her to defend better than last year, and anything she gives on the offense is a bonus, she has to make shots that we know she can make like Nicky, rebound the basketball and defend.

Spacing and getting to the rim should be our game this year, especially if teams are gonna double Izzy. And if you don't think none of those players gotten better. Then why the hell are you a Lady Vols fan.

I hope they all aren't an Ariel, Kinna, Alicia or Cierra, the slew of players in the past six years whose game pretty much stayed the same for four years. Some players do get better.

Lady Vols Swag, would love to see that, Jasmine has swag, Izzy is swaggalicious, Graves has swag, Reynolds has swag, Draya has swag. Go Lady Vols

Middleton and Dunbar start hitting those threes really gonna open up the inside for Izzy and Graves I look for both to have huge seasons in the post.

Spacing and getting to the rim should be our game this year, especially if teams are gonna double Izzy. And if you don't think none of those players gotten better. Then why the hell are you a Lady Vols fan.

I hope they all aren't an Ariel, Kinna, Alicia or Cierra, the slew of players in the past six years whose game pretty much stayed the same for four years. Some players do get better.

If you are going to berate fans for questioning player development, maybe you shouldn't list several examples of players who failed to develop in the system...:thud:

Middleton and Dunbar start hitting those threes really gonna open up the inside for Izzy and Graves I look for both to have huge seasons in the post.

Holly said they have been working with Graves to get her a face up game. The reason is like me and others have said Grave has problems with post players that taller then she is. I`m not being mean but she is a non factor against the top team`s post players.

Holly said they have been working with Graves to get her a face up game. The reason is like me and others have said Grave has problems with post players that taller then she is. I`m not being mean but she is a non factor against the top team`s post players.

Agree no elevation and her pump fakes were easily determined. She had a lot of shots batted right back in her face. I think she has great touch and some very good moves facing the basket. I know when she was at Clarksville she played very little in the post. She had a very good three stroke back then guess no need for that at this level.

VN Store

Back