Holly has to lead us to the final four next season.

I don't believe its going to be fixed just by recruiting more High School All-Americans. It isn't like men's basketball. The difference between a Candace Parker, Myra Moore, Jewell Loyd or Brianna Stewart and players 8-50 in a class are enormous. And the UConns and ND's don't have every player on their roster rated top 10. I think the tail has begun to wag the dog a bit with UConn recruiting (they've got some issues if Aja Wilson goes elsewhere-issues others would gladly take). They do mix in a special player with good players. They recruit girls who like their equal opportunity offense. Girls who willing to be passers or mainly defensive players.

Of UConn's starting 5, they have two #1s (KML and Stewart), one #2 (Jefferson) and two players that were not highly rated coming out of HS but happen to be AP or WBCA AAs (Dolson and Hartley). Those last two in particular put the rest of Tennessee's players to shame. Same as Kelly Faris last year. They show what happens when you aren't a star coming out of HS, but are willing to work.

UConn's offense works because the open players have the confidence to take the open shots the defense gives them and developed the skill to hit those shots. Not like Tennessee who would rather force the ball into the post rather than take an open shot. Tennessee players need to work on their fundamentals and their confidence so they are a balanced offensive team.

Whether UConn gets Wilson or not is irrelevant. Geno is the best coach in the game right now, and he has a pretty good track record of helping his players maximize their potential. As much as I hate to admit it, he's the best coach the women's game has ever seen, as far as success on the court, success in developing players and as a master strategist. Girls will continue to line up to play for this guy.

Reactions: 2 people
our cup runneth over with connvicts, it seems?

git back up north ya bastages.....

Bria Hartley was number 14 in the 2010 class and rated a five star. Dolson was number 39 rated a four star. Stewart and Lewis were both number one in their classes and Jefferson number two. That is a lot more talent than anybody else has in their starting lineup.
They will be challenged tonight by a lineup that has Kayla McBride number 20 in the 2010 class, Taya Reimer number 4, Jewell Lloyd 4, Braker was not in the top 100 and Mabrey was number 33 in her class. So just on recruiting rankings UConn has a huge advantage in talent.
I think this will be a very close game expect it to be a single digit win for somebody.

Bria Hartley was number 14 in the 2010 class and rated a five star. Dolson was number 39 rated a four star. Stewart and Lewis were both number one in their classes and Jefferson number two. That is a lot more talent than anybody else has in their starting lineup.
They will be challenged tonight by a lineup that has Kayla McBride number 20 in the 2010 class, Taya Reimer number 4, Jewell Lloyd 4, Braker was not in the top 100 and Mabrey was number 33 in her class. So just on recruiting rankings UConn has a huge advantage in talent.
I think this will be a very close game expect it to be a single digit win for somebody.

I didn't realize Hartley was so high. However, she was still rated below many of the Tennessee players (Russell, Massengale, Burdick, Graves) and was a significant contributor from the get go and maintained it throughout her career.

I do think at some point HS rankings become meaningless. McBride may have been #20 in her class, but she's clearly one of the top 3 in her class.

I think UConn wins going away. If Achonwa was suited up, I'd like ND to make it a game, but Reimer is too green to go up vs Dolson, and Braker will have to play smart to avoid foul trouble. I hope both have the games of their career....I really don't relish the idea of Geno breaking Pat's record, but the odds are probably against me.

Reactions: 1 person
I am so damn tired of watching uconn and geno win rings every year while our program continues to decline. The Lady Vols have now become almost irrelevant. Geno is going to pass Pat tonight. All we say every year is "wait until next year." Next year has come and past. Damn uconn is now the mecca of women's basketball and we are freefalling*Something has to change.

Well, my kids probably think I'm a moron, but that's another story.

My point being, have we as a fanbase still not learned our lesson about sticking our noses too far into these situations and setting ridiculous expectations that need to be met with a pink slip if we are not happy? Do you really think we should show Holly the door if she doesn't make the Final Four next year? Have you not read any of the discussions about what almost happened with us trying to run off a coach who just made it to the Sweet 16? I understand that these situations are not exactly the same, but the idea that our fanbase continues to eat its own is relevant here.

How about this. How about maybe letting the coach do their job and at least coach the games first and let's see what kind of team we have before we, common place fans, tell them what we expect. I know a lot of us think we're the s*%t when it comes to coaching, but there's a reason those guys get paid millions and we don't.

If we don't make it to the Sweet 16 next year should we FAHR CUONZO?????????

If we don't go 9-3 of better next year should we FAHR BUTCH???????????

What about Serrano? College World Series Finals or BUST?

C'mon man!!!!!

UT women making the Final 4 isn't an unrealistic expectation...it's THE expectation because WE set the foundation.

Hey Mule,always enjoy your posts.

. All in all,it's going to be fun watching the team add the newcomers to the mix. So I say,Go Lady Vols!!
:hi:
I'm not so sure about Massenagle coming back,I'm sure she wants to,but it has been a while since her injury

I'm like you,I'm not sure what went on with Graves,of course there was a lot of poor passing to the paint and a lot of times they weren't even looking,once they did get it going,it seems like the outside scoring went away and other teams just clogged up the middle daring them to shoot

I'm not sure about Carter either,once she had played some games,it seemed that the opponents adjusted to what she was doing and set there defenses accordingly.of course if she would shoot the ball a little bit more i would be happy

i will be damned if Reynolds didn't play like a Freshmen :) but she has a big upside

I can't believe they won't throw the ball over the Defense in the paint to Russell and get her into a groove,of course I will be damned if she didn't play like a Freshmen too lol I can't wait to see what some S&C can do for her next season

Burdick needs to improve her shooting,espically the mid range shots,when she is hitting them,it opens up a lot of options

I have no Idea what to say about Jones,she looks like she is playing the wrong position and needs to work on handling the ball big time

FREE NIA lol she must be doing something terrible in practice to get no more playing time than she does

I'm like you,it will be interesting to see what the new Freshmen bring to the Team and I can't wait to see them play

I all most left out Izzy,I would say this falls team will go as she goes,she is one heck of a player for sure,if they can make some 3s and play better Defense,Izzy will have a hell of a year,along with Russell in the paint

as all ways Go Lady Vols :clapping:

Last edited:
Haven't heard anything and I guess at this point not hearing is good news. I am thinking if we hear anything it might be she is not gonna play anymore. We could really use her next season can see us going to a four guard offense with Izzy our one post. I would like to see her, Tucker, Nared, and Carter in there. Nared and Tucker are both great rebounders. I think Graves can play facing the basket as well probably the way she plays best. She was never a post up player in high school. Mercedes could spell Harrison gives us 10 fouls in there actually 15 as Graves could take that post spot as well.

I am worried that Massengale might not return,I would like to hear something about her injury and how well her recovery is

if i remember right,she has all ready had 4 concussions,if that is what it is this time,which i do think it is,that is a lot and no telling if a few more have went undetected

like i said,she needs to step back and think is it worth it ?

my nephew blew out his knee twice in high school football and quit the game he loved for long term health,he told me he didn't want to be crippled when he has a family and raising kids

Holly has everything she needs to win a championship. On paper she has better talent than any of the final four teams. Her biggest opposition should come from within her own conference from South Carolina and Kentucky. I still believe that the best women's coaches in the SEC are Staley, Mitchell and Caldwell, at best I would rank Holly @ number 4. She has to develop her team to be deadly from the 3, mid-range and down low. She has to quit saying she does not know how to correct the turnovers. I just do not think she has the killer instinct as the top three SEC coaches as well as the head coaches at UCONN, Baylor, Louisville, Stanford, Notre Dame, North Carolina and Maryland. That lack of killer instinct will make the difference between losing with great talent and winning with good talent. Next year the ball is in Holly's court there are no excuses. Russell received just as many awards as UCONN's Stewie and USC's Aja Wilson, she should be a dominate player from the word go. She has three 3 shooters coming in. My suggestion to Holly is win or find another job.

Last edited:
UCONN does have it good, though. They use a 6 man rotation and never get in foul trouble. Seriously. TWO players all year foul out: Moriah Jefferson and Morgan Tuck, NOT 6'5'' Dolson. Must be nice :)

By comparison, we had 8 players foul out throughout the season and used MANY more players to try to stay out of foul trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Write this down, UCONN will not dominate next year. They may win it all next year but not like the last two years. Being in a very weak conference will give them a leg up on wins, however, weak competition will catch up with you. Most recruits want to compete in a top conference. I don't blame Geno for UCONN's plight in a weak sister conference, but because their football team is so weak no power conference will give them an invite. Can't you see what UCONN would do for a power conference such as the Big 10, Big 12, SEC, or ACC. It would be a plus for Women's basketball but Women's programs do not wag the tails of the power conferences it is football and large stadiums. Right now the world of women and men's college basketball goes through UCONN, however, football is the number three sport at UCONN, to power conferences, "who cares".

Holly is here to stay and a small minority of fans that don't like her can go and sulk in a corner..... That is all
Are you serious do you really think Holly is in the same league as some of the top four Women's basketball coaches. I do not have anything against Holly as a coach. As a Lady Vol fan I hope next year she kick butt and take names, but that will never happen when your team is averaging 12 or more turnovers a game. Before you make rash statements break the game down. If we are going to stand among the elite, we are a ways away. We have to develop a long range, a mid range and a down low game. Next year we will have the parts to do so. I want Holly to stay and be successful but this is Tennessee and 2nd, 8th, or 16th best cannot be acceptable.
(We have to stop the multiplicity of errors and turnovers)

We will not smell another title until we get a great coach. UT has not had good coaching for a long time. Summitt was great back in the day--but the game passed her by the last decade of her tenure; that was quite obvious, and we still have serious coaching issues. The fact that we haven't been to a final four in six or seven years is evidence of our decline, but some diehards still want to hang onto the PS era. It is over. Time to find our next great coach.

We will not smell another title until we get a great coach. UT has not had good coaching for a long time. Summitt was great back in the day--but the game passed her by the last decade of her tenure; that was quite obvious, and we still have serious coaching issues. The fact that we haven't been to a final four in six or seven years is evidence of our decline, but some diehards still want to hang onto the PS era. It is over. Time to find our next great coach.

good post ..very tr:lolabove:ue

I agree that if we get Diamond and Holly can't get us to the final four in the next two seasons we need to let her go. We want ever have more talent than we will have in the next two season especially two seasons from now.

*yawn*

We are all well aware of your utter disdain for Holly Warlick. We are also well aware of your total irrelevance regarding the situation. The fact of the matter is, Holly is the coach (and she's doing a pretty good job considering the situation). And then there you are . . . sitting in your armchair trying desperately to garner message board accolades by fooling your Holly-hating sycophants into thinking you actually know what you are talking about. You don't fool anyone who is reasonable or objective.

Most sane fans are aware HW is not the fit for the position she is in.

So what do we do?
A). Continue to root for our team as they underachieve(winning the SEC is not a good season all the league teams are getting killed during the NCAA tournament)

B).Or I'm waiting to see someone start a petition obviously that's the thing to do here in Knoxville clearly when the coach underachieves she has BOAT loads of talent or is disliked whatever your case may be?

Waiting to see how long this disgruntle fan base allow her to remain?

Dooley was canned by the admins after performing poorly?

Conzo was ran out of town by fans and boosters?

Warlick is performing poorly with boat loads of talent?

Most sane fans are aware HW is not the fit for the position she is in.

So what do we do?
A). Continue to root for our team as they underachieve(winning the SEC is not a good season all the league teams are getting killed during the NCAA tournament)

B).Or I'm waiting to see someone start a petition obviously that's the thing to do here in Knoxville clearly when the coach underachieves she has BOAT loads of talent or is disliked whatever your case may be?

Waiting to see how long this disgruntle fan base allow her to remain?

Dooley was canned by the admins after performing poorly?

Conzo was ran out of town by fans and boosters?

Warlick is performing poorly with boat loads of talent?

Actually, Holly Warlick is not performing poorly at all. She is a second-year head coach with a .800 winning percentage. To suggest she needs to be fired is patently ridiculous.

That she cannot appease the rabid, knee-jerk reactionary fools who populate a small (albeit vocal) segment of the Tennessee fan base and who believe they are entitled to a Final Four appearance every year is all but irrelevant. The fans and supporters who are truly sane brush those people off like so much dust on the bottom of their shoes.

Actually, Holly Warlick is not performing poorly at all. She is a second-year head coach with a .800 winning percentage. To suggest she needs to be fired is patently ridiculous.

That she cannot appease the rabid, knee-jerk reactionary fools who populate a small (albeit vocal) segment of the Tennessee fan base and who believe they are entitled to a Final Four appearance every year is all but irrelevant. The fans and supporters who are truly sane brush those people off like so much dust on the bottom of their shoes.

Question: With the talent we had this year do you think we met expectations?
Honest answers only lol

Honest answers only lol

Yes we did about what was expected. There was just about 8 teams better than us. Two of them we played in the regular season and got beat. The other 6 look at the elite 8.

Honest answers only lol

The short answer: yes.

One thing that a certain . . . segment . . . of Vols fandom needs to come to terms with is that there is a difference, sometimes vast, between hopes and expectations. They are not one and the same. As a fan, it was my hope that the Lady Vols would win it all. Was it my expectation this year? Honestly, no. I think the Lady Vols as a team were tremendously talented in 2013-14. I think they – and their coach – will be in a better position in 2014-15, and even more so the following year.

Patience is a virtue that many Vols fans don’t seem to possess in great quantities. There is nothing at all wrong with hoping to win (that’s why we are fans). There is nothing wrong with having reasonable expectations of a team. (For example, had this team gone 6-29 instead of 29-6, I would have absolutely questioned both the talent and the coaching. Of course, that isn't even close to what happened, though to hear the whining coming from some, it might as well have.) It’s when people become unreasonable in their expectations that things are said and done that, quite frankly, shouldn’t be said and done . . . and it is very often the people who know the least who complain the most. As much as you think you know this team and all the individual components of it . . . you don’t. You don’t know the dynamics. You don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, or what issues affect game performance beyond the rather ridiculous (and I daresay totally incorrect) assumptions that the players aren’t being taught fundamentals or that they aren’t adequately prepared.

The whole “blame the coach for everything wrong with the team” shtick is really rather old and worn out. It’s not unlike all the arbitrary blaming and bashing of teachers when students are perceived as underperforming. Are teachers sometimes to blame? Of course. Are they ALWAYS to blame? Absolutely not. The same is true of coaches. There are a myriad of reasons why a team may underperform during any given game situation; it isn't all on the coach's shoulders.

Develop some reason and learn to have patience. This team is far from being yesterday’s news, and all the coach-bashing and naysaying simply make you look foolish.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back