Holly has to lead us to the final four next season.

Next season Tennessee adds two more five star players to their roster both averaged 30 ppg in their senior seasons. I am all for parity someone forgot to tell UConn it is here they just keep winning and next season we can match them in talent for the first time in a long time. I think that is why I say expectations should be high a final four at least. If not we can lower our expectations because if she can't make it next season I don't see it happening in the future.

Next years team will be talented, but realistically speaking no one on Tennessee is anywhere close to Stewart or KML talent wise. Plus, Uconn is bringing their own freshmen crop of 5 star players, so it's not like their recruiting is barren.

The only saving grace is the fact that UConn loses Dolson, and that is a huge loss for them, especially since they aren't bringing in another similarly sized or talented player.

Reactions: 2 people
I think it's a pretty easy really.

IF we can get a squad that moves its feer on defense and stops reaching, we should be better than this year. If that same squad can also learn to shoot the ball into the basket, we'll be excellent.

We missed both of those qualities this year.

I think some can't come to terms that the women's game is no longer just Tennessee & UCONN. The Women's Tournament is getting closer and closer to being like the Men's game where any team can win on a given night.

Girls high school basketball across the country is getting better and better (you can see that just here in-state) and top players who just 10 years ago were going to Tennessee or UCONN are now going to schools all over the country like Notre Dame, Baylor, Louisville, Nebraska, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Oklahoma St., Kentucky and Maryland among many others.

UCONN disagrees with your assessment. Yes you can argue that Notre Dame, Stanford, Louisville, Baylor and a few others have raised there game but UCONN has continued on where TN was once part of. TN has dropped a little and it started before Holly.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

What do you do when nobody has a clue? :eek:lol:
Oh, of course, I meant me too. :angel::tease2::naughty:
GO VOLS!

Holly is here to stay and a small minority of fans that don't like her can go and sulk in a corner..... That is all

Reactions: 1 person
Holly is here to stay and a small minority of fans that don't like her can go and sulk in a corner..... That is all

and if they go sulk in the corner, stay home, quit coming and then attendance dips will you then ***** and moan? Its a two way street ya know....

I find a lot of the comments regarding next year interesting. I sense a lot of you are thinking they will be back in the company of the elite. I have my doubts--I wouldn't be surprised if they are voted pre-season #3 in the SEC behind South Carolina and Texas A&M.

I'd pick them preseason #3 too, unless a certain young lady from SC decides to wear Big Orange.

Warlick is a mediocre coach at best--and I'm sorry that some diehard PS fans who value her longtime association with the program don't see that. We have a pedigree and a tradition, and there are some of us who aren't too crazy about UT falling to second-tier status. Winning the SEC does not a great coach make: it's not our bar.

RE next year: Coaches have some big decisions to make about the guard rotation, and both the offensive and defensive execution have to be improved. I mistakenly thought last year that our front line was an asset. Harrison is a talent, and Carter is good and SMART--a quality that our program lacks. After that we've got questions. Can you keep Graves in the starting lineup? She is a very good rebounder but is a cipher on offense. Burdick? Can shoot it and rebound but an iffy defender. Massengale: talented but soft. Jones: excellent athlete but a turnover machine--bad decisions. Can't say I'm optimistic that this staff will fit the pieces to create an exceptional team.

If not I don't think she ever will. Next year will be the best Tennessee team since 2009. If she can't get it done with the talent on this roster I am fearful of the future of the Lady Vol program under her guidance.

PG- Carter, Massengale, Reynolds, Middleton
SG- Tucker, Middleton, Dunbar
C-Harrison, Russell
PF-Graves, Burdick, Moore
WF-Burdick, Nared

This has to be Holly's year to put up or shut up with top five talent.

Harrison at the 4 Russell at the 5 and Nared at the 3

Graves and Burdick to the bench

Harrison at the 4 Russell at the 5 and Nared at the 3

Graves and Burdick to the bench

Yes that could certainly happen. Looks like I forgot about Jones sorry she could make a difference she would have to start completely over. She needs a complete course in basketball IQ and really needs to improve her passing and dribbling skills.

The point of this thread was not to promote the firing of Holly Warlick. It was just to point out that some people are blind to the amount of talent that will be on this team next season. Second the shot attempts will be more balanced. Finally you have to eventually face reality if she can't get to the final four with seven five star players then how is she gonna continue the program expectations that Pat Summit built.
That is why I say if she can't get to the final four next year don't ever expect to get there again. We will have to develop an understanding that we are now a second tier WCBB team. This is not being mean to Holly just the reality of the situation as it exists.

The point of this thread was not to promote the firing of Holly Warlick. It was just to point out that some people are blind to the amount of talent that will be on this team next season. Second the shot attempts will be more balanced. Finally you have to eventually face reality if she can't get to the final four with seven five star players then how is she gonna continue the program expectations that Pat Summit built.
That is why I say if she can't get to the final four next year don't ever expect to get there again. We will have to develop an understanding that we are now a second tier WCBB team. This is not being mean to Holly just the reality of the situation as it exists.

The need players who will shoot the ball. For all of the criticism of Simmons (myself included), at least she was willing to be the hero or scapegoat by trying to make plays.

During the Maryland game, Maryland only had to defend 2 players: Simmons and Harrison. Neither Graves nor Burdick were so rattled that they were looking to pass as soon as they got the ball, and you could tell Maryland wasn't wasting a defender on them. Carter missed point blank layups all day, so they didn't need to guard her. So instead of keeping the defense honest by shooting, they let three players descend on Izzy and still tried to feed her the ball.

You can have all the athletes and all the talent in the country, but if you don't have players who are confident enough to look for their own shot, you won't win games against the better teams.

The need players who will shoot the ball. For all of the criticism of Simmons (myself included), at least she was willing to be the hero or scapegoat by trying to make plays.

During the Maryland game, Maryland only had to defend 2 players: Simmons and Harrison. Neither Graves nor Burdick were so rattled that they were looking to pass as soon as they got the ball, and you could tell Maryland wasn't wasting a defender on them. Carter missed point blank layups all day, so they didn't need to guard her. So instead of keeping the defense honest by shooting, they let three players descend on Izzy and still tried to feed her the ball.

You can have all the athletes and all the talent in the country, but if you don't have players who are confident enough to look for their own shot, you won't win games against the better teams.

I think that is all gonna change Tucker doesn't mind shooting it nor does Middleton or Nared. They are probably the first recruits that we have gotten since Simmons who will look for a shot. Carter is great player she is quite reluctant to shoot and Burdick thinks about shooting then either double pumps it or passes into a turnover.
I have never seen a player as scared to shoot as Burdick. Graves got that way at mid-season. Mercedes same thing she will pass it out from under the goal instead of going up strong.

your relying on unproven freshmen,you know as well as i do,you never know what to expect from freshmen,they may be world beaters or may need a year or two to develop into the players that us fans expect from them,you just never know

I am for Holly too and I wish we had Tyler S. as one of the assistants-- everyone is needed--I read recently that Geno was unhappy a game recently when his team let the opponent run fast breaks and score-- so he lined them up on one end and said run down as fast as you can and then back and I will be timing you-- he was still not pleased and had them run it several times and they had to get faster each time--finally he was satisfied and said "now do it every time you run to the other end in a game--"-- now you know this is just what I read - not observed ,but seems like a winner for conditioning !!! Maybe we can use it!!!

ANyway-- give 100% all game ladies-- don;t cruise any--- you can get that National Championship again-- Geno cant rule the ball!!!!

Go LadyVols , JOAn N60 Memphis:yes:

I am for Holly too and I wish we had Tyler S. as one of the assistants-- everyone is needed--I read recently that Geno was unhappy a game recently when his team let the opponent run fast breaks and score-- so he lined them up on one end and said run down as fast as you can and then back and I will be timing you-- he was still not pleased and had them run it several times and they had to get faster each time--finally he was satisfied and said "now do it every time you run to the other end in a game--"-- now you know this is just what I read - not observed ,but seems like a winner for conditioning !!! Maybe we can use it!!!

ANyway-- give 100% all game ladies-- don;t cruise any--- you can get that National Championship again-- Geno cant rule the ball!!!!

Go LadyVols , JOAn N60 Memphis:yes:

Welcome to the board. :hi:

your relying on unproven freshmen,you know as well as i do,you never know what to expect from freshmen,they may be world beaters or may need a year or two to develop into the players that us fans expect from them,you just never know

It really isn't about freshmen next season. All the starters are back except Simmons and Tucker is ready to take her spot. She can't really be called a freshman because she has practiced and played with the team all season. Then if Massengale returns there is no reason this team can't make the final four. The freshmen will be there but we have everybody back they freshmen only add depth to the roster.

Not going to be above UCONN no matter what Wilson does.

We were all talking about the SEC preseason standings. Nationally is another matter. They have the talent to be #2 or #3 but I'd say they will be anywhere from 6 to 10.

Early top 10 contenders probably include UConn, Maryland, North Carolina, Duke, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Texas A&M, and Stanford.

Holly will get 3-4 more years. Hart doesn't want to have to go looking for a new Tennessee Women's basketball coach anytime soon.

It really isn't about freshmen next season. All the starters are back except Simmons and Tucker is ready to take her spot. She can't really be called a freshman because she has practiced and played with the team all season. Then if Massengale returns there is no reason this team can't make the final four. The freshmen will be there but we have everybody back they freshmen only add depth to the roster.

have you heard anything about Massengale ? anytime i look i can't find nothing,it would be great to have her back,but I wonder if that is possible ?she better take care of herself for the long run of life,if it is a concussion,after all,it is just a game

Tucker is just an EE,we won't know how good she is until she gets some experience on the court,but i do think she will look good in some Orange :)

have you heard anything about Massengale ? anytime i look i can't find nothing,it would be great to have her back,but I wonder if that is possible ?she better take care of herself for the long run of life,if it is a concussion,after all,it is just a game

Tucker is just an EE,we won't know how good she is until she gets some experience on the court,but i do think she will look good in some Orange :)

Hey Mule,always enjoy your posts.Massengale has been quoted by Dan Fleser as saying she wants to be ready for next year,and is almost ready to begin more strenuous practice with that goal in mind. As you say,her health is paramount in her physical training. Some random thoughts on our LVs,this year and next. Carter did a superlative job taking over the point after Massengale's injury,until she hit that proverbial "wall" late in the season,probably fatigue induced. She looks like a true point guard,whereas Massengale may be more valuable as a shooting guard. Tucker was tremendous in high school,but who knows how her personal life has affected her game and psyche? She could well be a really fine wing for us. Nared brings athleticism and basketball IQ with her and should vie with Tucker for Simmons' spot on the floor. Or,maybe she will compete with Burdick for that spot.After three years,we know what we get with Burdick,so I could see Nared moving into her spot. If that happens,then Middleton and Dunbar work into the mix on the wings. Izzy is solid as one post,and,with work,Russell could establish herself at the SF position along with a rejuvenated Graves. I'm still of the opinion that Graves played this year with an injury or something else that dragged her down. There have been many posts calling for Moore to get more playing time,but she showed no measurable improvement between her freshman and sophomore years,as Izzy did in her career. All in all,it's going to be fun watching the team add the newcomers to the mix. So I say,Go Lady Vols!!

Haven't heard anything and I guess at this point not hearing is good news. I am thinking if we hear anything it might be she is not gonna play anymore. We could really use her next season can see us going to a four guard offense with Izzy our one post. I would like to see her, Tucker, Nared, and Carter in there. Nared and Tucker are both great rebounders. I think Graves can play facing the basket as well probably the way she plays best. She was never a post up player in high school. Mercedes could spell Harrison gives us 10 fouls in there actually 15 as Graves could take that post spot as well.

I think that is all gonna change Tucker doesn't mind shooting it nor does Middleton or Nared. They are probably the first recruits that we have gotten since Simmons who will look for a shot. Carter is great player she is quite reluctant to shoot and Burdick thinks about shooting then either double pumps it or passes into a turnover.
I have never seen a player as scared to shoot as Burdick. Graves got that way at mid-season. Mercedes same thing she will pass it out from under the goal instead of going up strong.

I don't believe its going to be fixed just by recruiting more High School All-Americans. It isn't like men's basketball. The difference between a Candace Parker, Myra Moore, Jewell Loyd or Brianna Stewart and players 8-50 in a class are enormous. And the UConns and ND's don't have every player on their roster rated top 10. I think the tail has begun to wag the dog a bit with UConn recruiting (they've got some issues if Aja Wilson goes elsewhere-issues others would gladly take). They do mix in a special player with good players. They recruit girls who like their equal opportunity offense. Girls who willing to be passers or mainly defensive players.

VN Store

Back