Hire Tyndall today???

Good question posted on TOS that if you knew then what you know now about Tyndall (i.e. NCAA issues) would you still want him hired and either way is it now time to go in a different direction?
I personally think he is a good coach, although it was hard to tell with this team, but I just wonder how long Hart and the higher-ups will let this drag on before they decide to make a change. I know it sounds stupid after one year, but I don't think the fans would blame them for going in a different direction and it's not like we are really going to lose anything if he goes (only has 2 3* recruits committed I think). In the back of my mind something keeps telling me they may make a move, although it would be unusual. Something about that NCAA investigation seems worse than some people are letting on and it is killing us in recruiting.
Evidently you have never heard that this is much ado about nothing. Here is a February update for your perusal.
Update On The NCAA And Donnie Tyndall | Rocky Top Insider :hi:

Reactions: 1 person
A better question is what kind of season would another coach have cobbled together...with the defection of Martin's recruiting class and others and the injury to the heir apparent PG.

This could have been an epic melt-down season on par with Wade Houston's last year.

I disagree..past performance/decisions predicts future perf/decisions..

Hart knew he was a cheater so what made him think he wouldn't be doing it again or would at ut to cut corners..

There were red flags on how he was winning n getting players sorry.

You r spending 2m bucks a yr n don't investigate his current bb roaster n admin of his team.

I just think our ad is a joke in how they hire coaches n their process..remember hart didn't a search firm...well maybe he did.

I agree!

I like him, he was dealt a bad hand with the players leaving (Thanks CCM) but the NCAA will hang onto this not because they are slow...only to help our recruiting. :no:

Then again it makes me wonder what happened during the vetting process

It was a situation where no one would have ever known unless someone snitched. How could UT, the conference, or USM have known anything at the time without someone talking. They all cleared him based on their own knowledge of events in CDT's two years at USM. Once someone talked, then it was all out there.

If CDT pays Josh Richardson $1000 a month in cash, and they are the only two who know about it, how are outside parties supposed to uncover that situation in a short amount of time in the hiring process?

Someone has to talk in most of these cases, and in CDT's case, they did so after the vetting process was completed. I don't fault Tennessee, USM, or the conference.

It was a situation where no one would have ever known unless someone snitched. How could UT, the conference, or USM have known anything at the time without someone talking. They all cleared him based on their own knowledge of events in CDT's two years at USM. Once someone talked, then it was all out there.

If CDT pays Josh Richardson $1000 a month in cash, and they are the only two who know about it, how are outside parties supposed to uncover that situation in a short amount of time in the hiring process?

Someone has to talk in most of these cases, and in CDT's case, they did so after the vetting process was completed. I don't fault Tennessee, USM, or the conference.

I agree with your premise, but not the application of it in the present case. From what I've read, there were a lot more than 2 people who were involved or knew what was going at USM and it seems like if UT knew about Tyndall's issues at Morehead St. they would have left no stone unturned. I think the NCAA will leave us pissing in the wind on this one for a while. No reason for them not to have already levied a punishment.

I don't believe any competent AD would hire Tyndall knowing all the NCAA stuff looming over the top of his head. I do think he's a good coach, but it would be a huge risk hiring him if you knew all of his dirt before hand.

I don't either but UK doesn't seem to mind. I wonder if UMass or Memphis fans would want him back after how he left those two programs.

The majority of fans at both of those programs would take Calipari back in a heart beat. They would have a huge smile on their face, and both arms wide open. The same can be said about Pearl and the majority of UT fans. I for one would of been one of those fans if we would of hired Pearl before we hired Tyndall. I also would do it if we had to fire Tyndall and somehow ended up hiring Pearl.

I don't believe any competent AD would hire Tyndall knowing all the NCAA stuff looming over the top of his head. I do think he's a good coach, but it would be a huge risk hiring him if you knew all of his dirt before hand.
You know nothing but BS and it will be shown when UT and Donnie Tyndall force the NCAA to act. I've been calling it all along based on what has come out. The 3-5 game suspension most pundits are now saying is likely will fizzle out also. When you're innocent of any wrongdoing, there is no punishment. Ever heard of innocent til proven guilty? Didn't think so. You guys just make stuff up to make it appear that Tyndall is another major cheater when the fact is he was never implicated at Morehead State and certainly not implicated in any violation at all in this case. I have listed a dozen reasons why this is so and you blowhards who hate the man continue to deceive those who read your nonsense.

I agree with your premise, but not the application of it in the present case. From what I've read, there were a lot more than 2 people who were involved or knew what was going at USM and it seems like if UT knew about Tyndall's issues at Morehead St. they would have left no stone unturned. I think the NCAA will leave us pissing in the wind on this one for a while. No reason for them not to have already levied a punishment.

It wasn't just Tennessee who signed off on him though. USM, and the conference signed off as well.

Sure, a better job could be done if you had months to investigate him like the NCAA did, but Tennessee, in the process of a coaching hire, was limited in its time. They couldn't perform an exhaustive process, and why would they when his own school conference signed off on him?

You know nothing but BS and it will be shown when UT and Donnie Tyndall force the NCAA to act. I've been calling it all along based on what has come out. The 3-5 game suspension most pundits are now saying is likely will fizzle out also. When you're innocent of any wrongdoing, there is no punishment. Ever heard of innocent til proven guilty? Didn't think so. You guys just make stuff up to make it appear that Tyndall is another major cheater when the fact is he was never implicated at Morehead State and certainly not implicated in any violation at all in this case. I have listed a dozen reasons why this is so and you blowhards who hate the man continue to deceive those who read your nonsense.

Tyndall wasn't implicated at Morehead, yet accepted full responsibility for the violations?

What doesn't add up there?

Tyndall wasn't implicated at Morehead, yet accepted full responsibility for the violations?
What doesn't add up there?
Can't believe you said that and all you guys talk about regarding BL is coachspeak. LOL The report said Tyndall "mistakenly thought that as long as the representative interacted with prospects and Morehead State's coaching staff as a talent evaluator, then his activities and his interaction with the coaching staff were permissible" and "never recognized" that the booster's activity "were contrary to NCAA legislation."
The case ended in a summary disposition, which meant Morehead State didn't have to go before the NCAA's Committee on Infractions for a formal hearing. "It was isolated to one booster situation," Tyndall said Tuesday. "A gentleman who meant no ill harm or ill will, but because he was a graduate of Morehead State University and was contacting some players without our knowledge, he became quote-unquote an extra coach. It wasn't the case that we asked him to do any of these things."
Never happens anywhere else in case you don't know.

I didn't make anything up, I'm a Tyndall supporter. I never called him a cheater, or said anything bad about the man. I also never said he would be found guilty. Check my stats, bruh, you wont find a single post of me bad mouthing CDT. I want him to succeed and do big things at UT. I believe him to be a quality coach.The facts are the NCAA has stuff hanging over his head, even if it is BS. They are looking into him. No AD would hire any coach that has NCAA trouble going on.

Can't believe you said that and all you guys talk about regarding BL is coachspeak. LOL The report said Tyndall "mistakenly thought that as long as the representative interacted with prospects and Morehead State's coaching staff as a talent evaluator, then his activities and his interaction with the coaching staff were permissible" and "never recognized" that the booster's activity "were contrary to NCAA legislation."
The case ended in a summary disposition, which meant Morehead State didn't have to go before the NCAA's Committee on Infractions for a formal hearing. "It was isolated to one booster situation," Tyndall said Tuesday. "A gentleman who meant no ill harm or ill will, but because he was a graduate of Morehead State University and was contacting some players without our knowledge, he became quote-unquote an extra coach. It wasn't the case that we asked him to do any of these things."
Never happens anywhere else in case you don't know.

So, because Tyndall claimed no knowledge of the situation, you just believe it? Are you really that naive? Of course he is going to deny that he knew it was wrong.

I didn't make anything up, I'm a Tyndall supporter. I never called him a cheater, or said anything bad about the man. I also never said he would be found guilty. Check my stats, bruh, you wont find a single post of me bad mouthing CDT. I want him to succeed and do big things at UT. I believe him to be a quality coach.The facts are the NCAA has stuff hanging over his head, even if it is BS. They are looking into him. No AD would hire any coach that has NCAA trouble going on.
My apologies. Just saying there was no dirt to know about. Maybe you should rephrase.

My apologies. Just saying there was no dirt to know about. Maybe you should rephrase.

Nah, I'm good. You seem to be the only one misunderstanding my comment. Maybe that's because you're just looking for a argument. After all, you are one of the two biggest drama queens on Vol Nation. Dirt or no dirt, the NCAA still has stuff hanging over the top of Tyndall's head. I'm sure it will amount to nothing, but having the NCAA looking into a coach and snooping around is more than enough to make a AD pass on hiring any coach that has all of that going on during the AD's hiring process/search. That would be especially true of any coach that has a past history with the NCAA, and has never won anything significant, or proven himself at the highest levels of the college basketball world.

Reactions: 3 people
So, because Tyndall claimed no knowledge of the situation, you just believe it? Are you really that naive? Of course he is going to deny that he knew it was wrong.

When someone denies knowledge of a matter, they are perfectly normal in so doing. Until there is proof that that person has lied, then it is not naïve to believe them. Is there a track record of CDT telling a lie concerning this current or any past NCAA investigation? A simple yes or no answer will suffice.

I question who the real jerks are here!

VN Store

Back