Here is why the offense was terrible.

UGA just manned us up outside and we barely got any separation. When we did Hooker missed them or was looking at the other side of the field.

Jimmy’s and the Joe’s > X’s and the O’s.

It’s really not that hard to figure out. The talent gap is significant.

Hooker's been overthrowing a few nearly every game which is enough to lose to a better team, and didn't look to some open throws. I think the announcers accurately called that out and his reluctance to go downfield. Along with GA's DBs doing a damn nice job in man coverage. Bennett wasn't missing those opportunities. And egad! - those penalties. TN's OL played against a real defensive team today and it showed.

The run defense was the lone bright spot today but not enough when the program is still a good defensive backfield (and general depth) away from competing at championship level. On a day when the offense wasn't able to overshadow that deficit and match scores, you lose.

This is all on Heupel. He knew this UGA defense would be aggressive and didn’t scheme in any plan to make them pay. Here are three successive screen shots. The tailback is doing nothing. He’s blocking, but he’s not in any route for an escape valve. If they had the TB scrape off to the right, look at the amount of green grass. It’s absurd. Never, not once, was UGA made to pay for their over aggressive play. This should have been schemed into the game plan.

Without even reading your post and just going on the headline, my answer is that they have better players. In the past five recruiting classes, Georgia has signed 25 five-stars, UT two. And, today at least, I think GA had better coaching.

This is all on Heupel. He knew this UGA defense would be aggressive and didn’t scheme in any plan to make them pay. Here are three successive screen shots. The tailback is doing nothing. He’s blocking, but he’s not in any route for an escape valve. If they had the TB scrape off to the right, look at the amount of green grass. It’s absurd. Never, not once, was UGA made to pay for their over aggressive play. This should have been schemed into the game plan.
Get a grip

UT looked flat - overconfident- expecting a win by showing up - with a break or two - Tennessee can still make the playoffs - josh needs to make a couple of changes

We lost because UGA has reached Bama level. It doesn’t matter who they lose to the draft/graduation. They just reload with little to no drop off.

Correct, we aren’t in the same stratosphere as they are talent wise, size, or depth but the defense played well enough to win which was a pleasant surprise. Hooker had a pretty pedestrian game which made the play calling look poor

UT looked flat - overconfident- expecting a win by showing up - with a break or two - Tennessee can still make the playoffs - josh needs to make a couple of changes

I doubt they came in overconfident. They were overmatched for much of the game offensively if anything. Georgia is better than UT at virtually every position

Having that escape valve could have made all the difference.

I think the OP makes a good point. Our play-calling was not good today. We were not creative. It was clear that our receivers were not getting open--why, I don't know. Even the short passes we completed were tight and contested. We SHOULD have tried something different. Kirby schooled Heupel today, really, if we're honest. Look at the deep pass to Tillman that was intercepted in the end zone--which was a big play. Tillman was completely blanked on the play. Our passing game was rolling with Keyton in for Tillman. Tillman returns and, to me, we haven't seemed the same--even as we thumped Kentucky last week. Tillman caught 7 passes today, but they were all short with a bit of run-after-catch. Keyton hasn't caught a pass in the last 2 games--didn't he even play? I don't know that he would have made a difference--but our passing game was crap today. Didn't look at all like the team we've been watching all season. I didn't expect us to score 40--but we were not good throwing the ball. Play-calling, Hooker decisions, receivers getting NO separation--all bad.

Jobu was mad and we didn’t have a live chicken to sacrifice. Hooker wasn’t breathing through his eyelids like he should have been.

I think the OP makes a good point. Our play-calling was not good today. We were not creative. It was clear that our receivers were not getting open--why, I don't know. Even the short passes we completed were tight and contested. We SHOULD have tried something different. Kirby schooled Heupel today, really, if we're honest. Look at the deep pass to Tillman that was intercepted in the end zone--which was a big play. Tillman was completely blanked on the play. Our passing game was rolling with Keyton in for Tillman. Tillman returns and, to me, we haven't seemed the same--even as we thumped Kentucky last week. Tillman caught 7 passes today, but they were all short with a bit of run-after-catch. Keyton hasn't caught a pass in the last 2 games--didn't he even play? I don't know that he would have made a difference--but our passing game was crap today. Didn't look at all like the team we've been watching all season. I didn't expect us to score 40--but we were not good throwing the ball. Play-calling, Hooker decisions, receivers getting NO separation--all bad.
But, why do that, when you can choose to relentlessly mock the OP and ignore the content and reasonable criticism provided and even and even have the board lords pile on.

how about Georgia is really good and many on here were too dismissive of them, and they are much more talented.? How about they just whipped us in every phase of the game? I.

Reactions: Hank Bukowski
Without even reading your post and just going on the headline, my answer is that they have better players. In the past five recruiting classes, Georgia has signed 25 five-stars, UT two. And, today at least, I think GA had better coaching.
So, discussing game plan and scheme requires one to ignore the realities of roster talent and recruiting? Or, can you do both? Hmmmm

I agree with OP that we should've had more plays designed to hit our RBs as relief valves when receivers weren't open down field. Also agree there was a lack of run calls for Hooker, and he was successful on the 1 or 2 he had.

Not assigning blame. 20/20 hindsight as a fan. They were better and we lost. We'll be back.

Bennett's scramble and the punt downed at the one were the deciding factors.....as well as the DBs regression in cover. UGA just has elite athletes

VN Store

Back