Here is my problem with Gruden

I agree. Tampa Bay and the Raiders have been dominant NFL franchises since he left. The he won with Dungy players statement makes no since. You are talking about the NFL not college. Yes he did take the same players that Dungy got fired with and took them to the super bowl and won it. I believe that says he is a better coach than Dungy.

That’s the problem. Many posters here only watch college football and barely follow/know anything about the NFL

Reactions: 1 person
Let's get Kevin Creasy from Oakland High School. Career 96% win percentage. Clearly a better coach than Jon Gruden

Reactions: 3 people
He’s just not that good of a coach.

- His career winning percentage is .540
- Only made the playoffs 5 out of 11 years
- After winning his SB, he went on to have losing seasons in 3 of the next 4 years
- He won his SB with Dungys players and really only won because the opposing QB threw 2pic 6s

Don’t understand the fascination to be honest. He has also said if he had to coach on the college level he would have the school in NCAA trouble within 10 min because he would not be able to abide by the rules.

This is the guy you’re hanging your hopes on? Really?

So you are saying he's a much better coach than Dungy since Dungy won only 2 playoff games in those 6 years with "his" players?

Jon Gruden:
1 Super Bowl appearance
2 Conference Champ appearances
3 Divisional appearances

Lovie Smith:
1 Super Bowl appearance
2 Conference Champ appearances
3 Divisional appearances
5-17 at Illinois

giphy.gif

- After winning his SB, he went on to have losing seasons in 3 of the next 4 years
- He won his SB with Dungys players and really only won because the opposing QB threw 2pic 6s

Don’t understand the fascination to be honest. He has also said if he had to coach on the college level he would have the school in NCAA trouble within 10 min because he would not be able to abide by the rules.

While I tend to agree with all this, but I think the publicity would be fantastic and it definitely screams...were serious about winning again! Having said that, I think we should offer Patterson just as much money as they offer Gruden. First one to take it gets it. If not, on to Mullen

Last edited:
While I tend to agree with all this, I think the publicity would be fantastic and it definitely screams...were serious about winning again! Having said that, I think we should offer Patterson just as much money as they offer Gruden. First one to take it gets it. If not, on to Mullen

I couldnt care less about winning the press conference, and that’s what I think so many on here are dead set on. Giving the finger to the rest of the college football world - that’s what Gruden represents to them.

If you wanna give credit to Dungy, does it really make that much difference considering Tampa played Oakland in the Super Bowl that year? Gruden was coaching Oakland the year prior, so is he responsible for Oakland making it there?

Reactions: 2 people
I would take Mullen, Franklin, Patterson, Jimbo, or Fuente all over Gruden

That's a good list. I believe that the chance of us landing any of those are slim to none.

Franklin is at his dream job.
Mullen is a loyal person.
Fuente won't leave Va Texh because he just got there.
Patterson lost respect for UT.
Jimbo, I don't know about him.

I just have a hard time believing these coaches, at great schools who are doing good would be willing to make a lateral move to a worse team with more pressure

How many Super bowls did Saban or Chip Kelly win? How many AFC/NFC titles?

My biggest problem is the consideration that he may not have success. If he truly is being offered upwards of $10 million a season, and he ends up tankImg, how in the hell are we supposed to afford to buy out? Are you just going to ride that pony until he bankrupts us? It surely would be exciting if he acccepts the offer, but the big, pretty, flashy name is not always the best answer. Like it or not, all sides of this have to be considered.

this^^^ and to add to it I believe Currie is a organized extremely calculated person who has done his homework and that is one reason why I dont believe he comes.

How many Super bowls did Saban or Chip Kelly win? How many AFC/NFC titles?

How many national championships had either of them won before testing out the nfl?

Another interesting fact about sabans time at miami was the fact that he wanted to get Drew Brees and the gm did not. Wonder what difference that would have made.

In all seriousness, all things being equal, in a perfect world, <insert more cliches here>, I have my concerns about Gruden. The only coach unequivocally worth $10M/yr right now is Saban. Meyer, possibly as well. My oversimplification of pro’s/con’s for Gruden is as follows:

Pro

Recruiting
Recruiting
Recruiting
X’s &O’s Knowledge
Staff

Con

Time away from college game
Time away from game in general
$$$
Expectations of fan base

How many national championships had either of them won before testing out the nfl?

Another interesting fact about sabans time at miami was the fact that he wanted to get Drew Brees and the gm did not. Wonder what difference that would have made.
The point is. You cannot criticize grudens NFL experience because the NFL is an entirely different beast with a completely different list of obstacles and barriers that coaches have to overcome. Whatever you think of grudens Tampa buccaneers team he took the to super bowl....Dungy didn't.

College football is all about recruiting. He can recruit without doing anything due to his TV/NFL persona. The only way to beat Bama is to out recruit them (take players they want). That will not happen with any of the other coaches on the hot list.

That simply isn’t true. This notion that every 5 star will jump in the boat is fantasy. There isn’t a bigger name than Harbaugh and he is sleeping with kids to recruit. Recruiting is a grind. Why is Bama so good? Saban’s Relentless recruiting. I know for a fact he had been in a school parking lot in S Ga at 7 am. Relentless

Last edited:
I am not on the Gruden bandwagon. The only good part about this if it is not Gruden is that Currie can talk to other coaches quietly as everyone is focused on Gruden. If we don’t make the hire early next week then it is an existing head coach that we are after and assume Mullen is number 1 there. If I am Currie, I keep the Gruden rumor alive so I can quietly talk to others.

VN Store

Back