Here is my problem with Gruden

He’s just not that good of a coach.

- His career winning percentage is .540 - Jimmy Johnson .556, Chuck Noll .560, Marv Levy .560, Tom Coughlin .530, Tom Flores .527, Bill Parcells .569. All with multiple super bowl appearances.
- Only made the playoffs 5 out of 11 years. He took over a crap team in oakland. He took over a team in Tampa that got put in salary cap jail because of decisions mad before his arrival and a team that gave up 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks to get him.
- After winning his SB, he went on to have losing seasons in 3 of the next 4 years. Salary Cap hell due to aging players on the defense that were given massive deals. And draft pick issue.
- He won his SB with Dungys players and really only won because the opposing QB threw 2pic 6s. This is just complete horsepuckey. Gruden brought in 23 of the 56 players on that SB winning team. He revamped the offense that in years prior would routinely score less than 14 points while winning. In that SB, he had the advantage of playing his old team that still used his system. Dungy never even sniffs that super bowl.

Don’t understand the fascination to be honest. He has also said if he had to coach on the college level he would have the school in NCAA trouble within 10 min because he would not be able to abide by the rules. He was joking that he liked to work too much. It's not really a serious comment.

This is the guy you’re hanging your hopes on? Really?

Your post is full of ignorance and you didn't take the time to really examine the issues. BTW, not saying he is coming.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 people
"Most of the time, college football is simply about who has the most talent. Jon Gruden will give Tennessee a significant recruiting advantage irregardless of any possible coaching deficiencies."

Teddy Roosevelt, 1913

Teddy Roosevelt had a qoute about John Gruden in 1913? Wow thats insane

Reactions: 1 person

- His career winning percentage is .540
- Only made the playoffs 5 out of 11 years
- After winning his SB, he went on to have losing seasons in 3 of the next 4 years
- He won his SB with Dungys players and really only won because the opposing QB threw 2pic 6s

Don’t understand the fascination to be honest. He has also said if he had to coach on the college level he would have the school in NCAA trouble within 10 min because he would not be able to abide by the rules.

I think he deserves a lot more credit than he gets for building the Raiders into a really good team.

People should pay attention to what he build at Oakland. If not for a really good Ravens team featuring Jamal Lewis, and for a very obscure rule called, "the tuck rule," then the Raiders team Gruden built may very well could have won three Superbowls in a row.

Reactions: 4 people
Did you mean to reply to the OP?

In all honesty it looks like the Gruden folks are the ones embarrassing themselves in this thread.
One said he won 2 afc titles before taking tb to the sb, then corrected himself while still being wrong and having to be corrected by a sleazy reptile
One referenced him in a qoute from 1913

- After winning his SB, he went on to have losing seasons in 3 of the next 4 years
- He won his SB with Dungys players and really only won because the opposing QB threw 2pic 6s

Don’t understand the fascination to be honest. He has also said if he had to coach on the college level he would have the school in NCAA trouble within 10 min because he would not be able to abide by the rules.

Here is the issue with Tom Brady. He was not really a long term starter at Michigan. Also, he has not real strength and slumps when he stands. He is not a gifted athlete. I would not draft him.

Also, Mugsy Boges is too short to be an NBA player. He will be overwhelmed and likely will have his shots blocked often.

Charles Barley is fat and out of shape and too short to succeed as a forward in the NBA. I predict that he will be a complete bust.

The issue with Michael Jordon is that he wasn't even able to make his school's varsity team as a freshman. I wouldn't be surprised if he never was offered a college scholarship at any university.

In all honesty it looks like the Gruden folks are the ones embarrassing themselves in this thread.
One said he won 2 afc titles before taking tb to the sb, then corrected himself while still being wrong and having to be corrected by a sleazy reptile
One referenced him in a qoute from 1913

You really missed on that one. Badly.

Reactions: 2 people
I'd rather have Jon Gruden than Mike Norvell.....

Also, in the pros so much of a teams success is based on the cards their dealt. John Fox can look like a goat in Charlotte then go win a SB in Denver.

Your post is full of half truths and justifications for an average coach that you think is UT’s savior.

Name one inaccuracy or half truth in my quote. I did not express an opinion on Jon Gruden's coaching ability or any opinion on whether he would succeed. I just pointed out the ignorance in your statements.

Reactions: 3 people
He won 2 AFC titles with the raiders before going to Tampa where he won a super bowl with HIS team. The nfl isn’t college where a head coach picks and chooses his guys.

Jon Gruden:
1 Super Bowl appearance
2 Conference Champ appearances
3 Divisional appearances

Lovie Smith:
1 Super Bowl appearance
2 Conference Champ appearances
3 Divisional appearances
5-17 at Illinois

Reactions: 5 people
IMO, Gruden just enjoys the hype and the pub. He will not coach again and risk failure.

Give me Mullen, Frost or Patterson.

Reactions: 3 people

College football is all about recruiting. He can recruit without doing anything due to his TV/NFL persona. The only way to beat Bama is to out recruit them (take players they want). That will not happen with any of the other coaches on the hot list.

I agree. Tampa Bay and the Raiders have been dominant NFL franchises since he left. The he won with Dungy players statement makes no since. You are talking about the NFL not college. Yes he did take the same players that Dungy got fired with and took them to the super bowl and won it. I believe that says he is a better coach than Dungy.

VN Store

Back