HBO's True Detective

Yeah, after the premier, I'm totally sold on MM. He doesn't even look like the same person.

The conversation in their car was great.

"You asked..."

"And now I'm begging you to shut the **** up."

Another fantastic episode. The writing on this show is top notch. Seeing Rusts hallucinations was a nice touch.

Line of the night- "You're a smartass even with your mouth shut."

Another fantastic episode. The writing on this show is top notch. Seeing Rusts hallucinations was a nice touch.

Line of the night- "You're a smartass even with your mouth shut."

I liked "what good is cake if you can't eat it?"

Totally forgot I wanted to watch this show.
Caught up on the first 2 episodes on demand last night. It's a keeper. For this season at least.

Amazing how different they both look from the present to the past in the flashbacks.
Really cool.

Reactions: 1 person
Andy Greenwald of Grantland was fairly critical of the show, and I think many of his points are valid. I'm not utterly blown away, but the acting is top notch, the dialogue is good and the format definitely scores some points. Still worthy of becoming a major hit show. Curious to see what kind of names they pull for future series.

Can you paraphrase the criticisms, or is it so scathing it will ruin the show for me/us? I'm all about dialog and character development and that's all the show has been so far.

Andy Greenwald of Grantland was fairly critical of the show, and I think many of his points are valid. I'm not utterly blown away, but the acting is top notch, the dialogue is good and the format definitely scores some points. Still worthy of becoming a major hit show. Curious to see what kind of names they pull for future series.

Can you paraphrase the criticisms, or is it so scathing it will ruin the show for me/us? I'm all about dialog and character development and that's all the show has been so far.

Well, imo milo summed it up and those three points are about all we're getting so far. Great acting, great dialogue, good format, but hardly any action and the story seems to drag. My hope is that right now they're focusing on character development and they're going to get to the rest later.

Reactions: 1 person
Love the clean cut vs uncut MM.

Could you get guys get some beer? This is my day off and I start drinking at noon.

definitely some good one liners. Pretty deep show. Deep emotions. Personalities. Dark, personal and just overall feel. Some comedy. Has a little No Country for Old Men oneliner/sarcasm at time, imo. Maybe just because Woody is there, but same feel for me at times.
For whatever reason I had figured it would come around and be Cohle that was committing some murders, but that was just me trying to figure out what's going to happen, plus the dude in underwear with the gas mask on the season wrapup appears to be the villain, that is, at least what they want us to see.

Awesome episode.

The line about divine reward and being POSs was the best.

Best episode yet by far. The ending alone, all the way from the final breakthrough in the case to the "monster at the end" deserved an Emmy itself.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back