HBO's The Leftovers

It wasn't interesting enough to keep my attention the first time I watched it, I doubt a second time will go any better. Lol

Lol! It was never really explained. I'd sum it up as a group of people who have just given up on life and they see no point in continuing to live the way they used to. They form this silent, chain smoking cult and their sole purpose is to try to recruit people and drag them into their lifestyle if you'd even call it that. I honestly don't see why they all don't just kill themselves if they view everything as being pointless now. It's like Liv Tyler talking about her wedding as if there was no point in it. That's why she ultimately joined their group because she's lost her way.

If anything this show simply shows how strange of a guy Peter Berg really is.

Lol! It was never really explained. I'd sum it up as a group of people who have just given up on life and they see no point in continuing to live the way they used to. They form this silent, chain smoking cult and their sole purpose is to try to recruit people and drag them into their lifestyle if you'd even call it that. I honestly don't see why they all don't just kill themselves if they view everything as being pointless now. It's like Liv Tyler talking about her wedding as if there was no point in it. That's why she ultimately joined their group because she's lost her way.

If anything this show simply shows how strange of a guy Peter Berg really is.

I'm really glad I didn't pay attention lol

I'll keep watching. I'm weird tho because I enjoy what-if scenarios that really examine how society and different people will respond and move forward in the wake of odd circumstances.

My favorite author of all time visits this sort of weird evaluation of humanity's responses to wild circumstances...

José Saramago - Death with Interruptions - about how society deals with the prospect that people can't die...they can be brought to near death, but they won't fully die. So nursing homes become overrun, loved ones never find closure, and ill individuals become a burden on families, the government, and society.

Additionally his other book - Blindness - which was an alright movie...explored what would society do if a weird pathogen caused rampant blindness. How would we respond and interact with one another?...is physical appearence no longer relevant?, do people abandon a moral code because they can get away with a lot more?, etc...

(I will say tho that I had really high expectations for this show, and I felt a little bleh about the first episode.)

(I will say tho that I had really high expectations for this show, and I felt a little bleh about the first episode.)

I think the majority of viewers felt the same way as you.

I like to watch apocalyptic/post apocalyptic shows and movies because I like to put myself in the same situations and try to figure out what I'd do myself.

Reactions: 1 person
Watched the pilot, enjoyed it quite a bit. But I like how they've given all these questions so early to build on and how dark the show is.

Though maybe I'm sad I've never played extreme spin the phone like that.

I think the majority of viewers felt the same way as you.

I like to watch apocalyptic/post apocalyptic shows and movies because I like to put myself in the same situations and try to figure out what I'd do myself.

You would curl up in a ball and cry, don't lie to yourself. :)

Ok...

2nd episode in and slowly I'm getting interested in these characters

Ok...

2nd episode in and slowly I'm getting interested in these characters

I enjoyed this episode a LITTLE more than the first one but I'm by far sold. So the black dude gives you a perhaps not so "manly" hug and you feel all better? The clueless asian chic gives him his power? "Oh hey, when you get off work from being a cop come on over and shoot some dogs with me."

Mayor to the chief of police: You've really got to stop shooting dogs man. BTW, F*** your bagel.

Coug - you forgot that his crazy dad apparently talks to invisible people and those invisible people know about the guy that drives the black truck.

Coug - you forgot that his crazy dad apparently talks to invisible people and those invisible people know about the guy that drives the black truck.

I didn't forget that, I just didn't bother typing it out. That whole teen scene where they followed the woman and broke into her car was completely pointless. That was about as useful as Dana Brody was in the last season of Homeland.

I didn't forget that, I just didn't bother typing it out. That whole teen scene where they followed the woman and broke into her car was completely pointless. That was about as useful as Dana Brody was in the last season of Homeland.

I don't think we know that yet.

I don't think we know that yet.

I agree. Dry skin is serious business and even if all it amounts to is a PSA for moisturizing then we will have been well served to witness it.

I've watched both episodes. I saw the promo where someone was stating that they hope the audience will be more interested in the character development than the mystery of the disappearance. If that's their hope then I'm guessing this will be a short lived series.

I'd completely forgotten John From Cincinnati. Another oddball one was Carnival. They cranked up the weird for two seasons and then basically made a big bonfire of the ending because they canceled the show without letting the plot lines play out.

I agree. Dry skin is serious business and even if all it amounts to is a PSA for moisturizing then we will have been well served to witness it.

I've watched both episodes. I saw the promo where someone was stating that they hope the audience will be more interested in the character development than the mystery of the disappearance. If that's their hope then I'm guessing this will be a short lived series.

It was about them f-ing with that lady, and her seeing them drive away.

It was about them f-ing with that lady, and her seeing them drive away.

So next episode the two horn dog dudes show up with .38 caliber ventilation holes in their skulls and the girls debate whether or not to tell sheriff daddy. I still won't know if those old folks got the disappearance benefit for their mentally retarded son who had less than 20 sexual partners.

I still don't have a good feel for this yet after watching the first couple of episodes. May give it a little longer before dropping it from the rotation.

I still won't know if those old folks got the disappearance benefit for their mentally retarded son who had less than 20 sexual partners.

Totally on both of these comments! I mean, I'm holding out to see how her hands are next week and I just can't sleep not knowing if the old couple got their money for Corkey.

I've watched the first two episodes of this show. It's pretty interesting, but also pretty damn far out. So many oddball things going on. The smokers can't talk, but they can write. Really? And what's up with the tree chopping? And the weird guy that left the truck in the cop's driveway? And the cop's dad obviously knows something. Very odd show, but I kind of like it so far. Then again, I can see a "Lost" type development and ending to this show. I'm still pissed about the way that show ended.

I've watched the first two episodes of this show. It's pretty interesting, but also pretty damn far out. So many oddball things going on. The smokers can't talk, but they can write. Really? And what's up with the tree chopping? And the weird guy that left the truck in the cop's driveway? And the cop's dad obviously knows something. Very odd show, but I kind of like it so far. Then again, I can see a "Lost" type development and ending to this show. I'm still pissed about the way that show ended.

Don't get me started on the Lost series finale. What an epic F U that was to the fans who watched the entire show. The writers didn't even explain half the crap that went on in that show.

So what will the priest do with the money?

First thing I'd do if I were the priest is set the place on fire. He could use the money to buy a different building because he won't get anywhere trying to get it back from them.

I like how coming up it becomes hunting season on the smokers.

VN Store

Back