Haslam trying to completely replace Board of Trustees

Actually, to be fair, the debacle of UT and the horrible decisions started before Haslam. You can probably go back to Bredesen as he took very little interest in the University and basically named his cronies to the board with practically no oversite.

Maybe. But the Haslams have been much more directly associated with UT. The fact is the Haslams are the main reason why we are in the mess we are now.

Reactions: 5 people
Actually, to be fair, the debacle of UT and the horrible decisions started before Haslam. You can probably go back to Bredesen as he took very little interest in the University and basically named his cronies to the board with practically no oversite.

Lamar Alexander

Reactions: 1 person

Lamar put his cronies in the AHT when he was UT prez from 1988 through 1991. Plus he made Dickey hire Wade Houston to run UT basketball (into the ground).

When it came to football. He didn’t give a crap about basketball.

This. Dickey made it clear football was the bell cow and the only thing he truly cared about. He didn't care about any other sports whatsoever.

This. Dickey made it clear football was the bell cow and the only thing he truly cared about. He didn't care about any other sports whatsoever.

He cared about Track when he was the HC. But that was for recruiting purposes. Chip Kell. Richmond Flowers. I think that Chuck Rohe was also on the football staff.

Last edited:
Both Haslam and Alexander improved education in the state of Tennessee.

Opportunities now exist for any high school senior to attend a community college to either prepare for transfer to a university or learn a technical trade.

I know for all of you it is ONLY about how well the FOOTBALL team does. But the education of the youth in this state should be the number 1 concern of our leadership - not whether UT wins at an athletic event.

The thing I like about this act is that it creates the advisory boards at the campus level which is where they belong.

Both Haslam and Alexander improved education in the state of Tennessee.

Opportunities now exist for any high school senior to attend a community college to either prepare for transfer to a university or learn a technical trade.

I know for all of you it is ONLY about how well the FOOTBALL team does. But the education of the youth in this state should be the number 1 concern of our leadership - not whether UT wins at an athletic event.

The thing I like about this act is that it creates the advisory boards at the campus level which is where they belong.

I'm fine with the true education reforms, my issue is with the Haslam interference with the sports programs. This was done so that he can have himself appointed after he leaves as Governor. His only motive is to seize back control after the board revolted and hired Fulmer (whom the Haslams can't stand) as AD, and they didn't get a say on the next football coach.

Anything done for education, I'm fine with. This is not that. This is about control, period.

Reactions: 6 people
Since it's in this afternoon's Tennessean, assume will be in media. Kara Lawson one of appointments effective July 1.

If they win they will install a yes man at ad and yes men and women coaches. At this point stick a fork into ut athletics, they only care about money and power.

VN Store

Back