Haslam trying to completely replace Board of Trustees

Screw Haslem and his fuel taxes. Worst "republican" governor ever.

Well if I'm reading this article right, this move kind of screams a republican move. Something about Haslem trying to eliminating democrats and diversity? I could be reading it wrong though.

Reactions: 3 people
Pretty bad when ripping off truckers, drafting Johnny Manziel, and attempting to hire a guy with an alleged connection to Sandusky doesn't constitute the most underhanded act attempted by a family....

Reactions: 6 people
You expect this crowd to know the difference?

They thought Butch Jones was a coach

Agree. A few facts:
The board currently has 27 members. Too many to operate efficiently. The proposal is to reduce to 11 members consisting of one ex officio member, the commissioner of agriculture, and 10 voting members appointed by the governor, but have to be confirmed by the General Assembly. The board would include at least two residents from each grand division of the state and at least five alumni. Elected and state officials could not serve.

Voting student and faculty members would be included on campus advisory boards, though.

Reactions: 1 person
Agree. A few facts:
The board currently has 27 members. Too many to operate efficiently. The proposal is to reduce to 11 members consisting of one ex officio member, the commissioner of agriculture, and 10 voting members appointed by the governor, but have to be confirmed by the General Assembly. The board would include at least two residents from each grand division of the state and at least five alumni. Elected and state officials could not serve.

Voting student and faculty members would be included on campus advisory boards, though.

You are correct. Can't imagine 27 people agreeing on anything.
That would probably resemble the Senate and Congress. Oh wait...

Did anyone think that the Haslams and the BOTs could not get any worse?

Surprise, surprise, surpise.

Reactions: 3 people
At face value it certainly seems shocking to:
- reduce the number of board members by 60%
- eliminate UT students and faculty from the board
- eliminate the UT President (currently a voting member of the board)
- eliminate the state commissioner of education (also current voting member)
- eliminate the executive director of the Tennessee higher education commission.

All of those would seem to be critical voices on the board. However, in the interest of prudence, it makes sense to reserve judgment until we look at how other state university boards around the country are set up and why. For all I know, there may be legitimate reasoning (though I sure can't see it now).

What there is absolutely no legitimate reason for is removing the requirements to:
- have one third of the appointments from the minority political party
- have a number of females proportional to the population
- have at least one member of a racial minority
- have at least one member over 60
- have at least one member from each congressional district
- have at least one third be UT alumni

I understand that these requirements would be impossible to meet with only 11 members (10 appointed) but that alone is a good reason for killing the bill — it effectively eliminates any imposition of diversity. And that's short-sighted, no matter which side you sit on. And just plain wrong.

Of course, I don't live in Tennessee any more, so right there is about as much say as I have in it, I suppose.

Reactions: 6 people
Be the number 10 or 27, the best possible candidates should be hired/appointed. The board needs competence more than diversity. Diversity just for the sake of diversity is PC bullsh!t and often counter productive.. UT needs the best available, not the best racial, political and gender mix.

Edit: This in NO way should be interpreted as an endorsement for Haslam(s). I can't stand them and would love to see them run out of the state and UT affairs altogether.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
Well if I'm reading this article right, this move kind of screams a republican move. Something about Haslem trying to eliminating democrats and diversity? I could be reading it wrong though.

Has nothing to do a political party but all about getting power. Last time I looked, that motivation describes about 90% of politicians. That said, I want the Haslams to take their dirty money and idiotic decision making as far away from our university as possible.

Reactions: 9 people
I think they are trying to streamline the BOT. Too many people on there. A smaller board will actually be less likely to just rubber stamp staff recommendations. They're also stacking it where a potential Gov. Dean won't be able to influence BOT decisions to any significant degree.

well, don't tell me it's time to pull out the revolution hats again...hope they don't make us go there...they wouldn't like us...:)

GO VOLS!

Volshevik Revolution is back! :)

Seriously, it will take more than one furious uprising to make change stick.

Don’t slack off.

State Senate OKs Changes to University of Tennessee Board

I agree the board is too big, but I’m concerned that shrinking it won’t necessarily mean quality over quantity

Shrinking the board while Haslam is governor will just make sure the Haslam family can continue to run the University like it is their personal empire. They are pissed that they got smacked down with the last coaching search and are seeking revenge.

The board is too big but reducing its size and selecting new members should not be done by the Haslam family. If anything, their cronies appointed by the current governor need to be removed.

Reactions: 9 people
Agree. A few facts:

The current governor needs to keep his hands off of my Alma Mater. The Haslam family has screwed things up enough already. Changing the structure of the BOT needs to wait for the next State administration.

Reactions: 8 people

VN Store

Back