Haslam trying to completely replace Board of Trustees

This is pure desperation from the Haslam family. NO WAY anyone would put a Haslam, or a Haslam puppet, in a position of power after the Schiano/coach search dumpster fire. They're trying to force their way back in before ole Bill has to leave the Governor's mansion next year and not be able to do this.

Run them out of the state

Reactions: 3 people
Good mover. The fewever the better which means more accountability

How in the world is this driving more accountability when you are consolidating the power to one family to shape the BoT to fit their own perspective? How is that even anywhere near the best interests of the University?

Sure, cut the BoT to a smaller number, but make sure its done in a fair manner and NOT resting under the control of the Governor whose family stands the most to gain from the action!

This is nothing more than a power play to ensure the Haslam's rule the University for decades to come.

Reactions: 6 people
You guys need to save your energy and worry about something else Haslam. The next election is in November, and Bill will be going home in January 2019. Also, under the proposal, any appointees by the governor will have to be approved by the state legislature, which will want a fair representation from across the state. A smaller board will be more effective and, as mentioned above, more accountable.

I will say that I don't like the influence some of the Haslam family has had in the athletic department, but Bill has done a great job as governor.

Reactions: 1 person
Why doesn’t that piece of crap worry about winning a single game for the Browns first?

He likes the thrill of running a sports program into the ditch, and he is doing a great job. At some point, when the failures begin to pile up, do you not say, maybe this is not my line of work?

Boards are supposed to present different views and discuss them before making a decision, not rubber stamp what one person wants.

Unfortunately, most boards I’ve been involved with seemed to work the latter sense.

Reactions: 4 people
You guys need to save your energy and worry about something else Haslam. The next election is in November, and Bill will be going home in January 2019. Also, under the proposal, any appointees by the governor will have to be approved by the state legislature, which will want a fair representation from across the state. A smaller board will be more effective and, as mentioned above, more accountable.

I will say that I don't like the influence some of the Haslam family has had in the athletic department, but Bill has done a great job as governor.

Little Jimmy still has a ton of influence. Until the Haslams are completely separated from the university of Tennessee, we are gonna have issues.

Reactions: 6 people
Little Jimmy still has a ton of influence. Until the Haslams are completely separated from the university of Tennessee, we are gonna have issues.

What can be done then to stop this? Why aren't legislators stepping in to stop this as they did with the Schiano hire? Even Diane Black knows how dangerous Haslam is.

Reactions: 2 people
What can be done then to stop this? Why aren't legislators stepping in to stop this as they did with the Schiano hire? Even Diane Black knows how dangerous Haslam is.

My guess is because they (HOH) keep throwing millions in cash at desired upgrades to the university such as new music building, business building etc.
Would be great if they would donate without strings attached.

Please educate yourself on this before making statements. Most of you would not care about this if a Haslam was not the governor.

It does reduce the board but also places 7 person advisory panels on each campus. That is more than what is being reduced from the board. The campuses and their needs are very unique so to me this is a good thing.

The professors don't like it because they will have to go through a performance review every 6 years. I wish I only had to be reviewed every 6 years.

Last edited:
And also ... I believe the bill removes the Gov from the board which I agree with. The Gov has more pressing matters. He should entrust and empower those that are placed on the board for a reason.

Orange flags at half mast folks.

We won a battle with Schiano but this power grab put the Haslam family in firm control.

Get ready to be screwed and watch this program rot.

Reactions: 3 people
And also ... I believe the bill removes the Gov from the board which I agree with. The Gov has more pressing matters. He should entrust and empower those that are placed on the board for a reason.

No offense but you need to do some more research and really learn how deep the Haslams are in UT. As long as we have a spineless administration and a group of stingy boosters, UT will continue to suffer.

Reactions: 4 people
Orange flags at half mast folks.

We won a battle with Schiano but this power grab put the Haslam family in firm control.

Get ready to be screwed and watch this program rot.

What if we start winning some ball games? Their hands will be tied, I hope.

Actually, to be fair, the debacle of UT and the horrible decisions started before Haslam. You can probably go back to Bredesen as he took very little interest in the University and basically named his cronies to the board with practically no oversite.

My guess is because they (HOH) keep throwing millions in cash at desired upgrades to the university such as new music building, business building etc.
Would be great if they would donate without strings attached.

Ah, well that will never happen. The Haslam's must be in control.

VN Store

Back