Has Azzanni Overstayed His Welcome?

Yet every year, in every conference FR WR's step on the field and make an immediate impact. Guess they didn't get the memo from their WR coach that it's supposed to take them a long time to develop.

But we don't need to rely on freshmen

We have plenty of Sophomore and Junior Wideouts that were highly recruited who under-perform just the same

Christian Kirk at Texas A&M, Calvin Ridley at Alabama, Antonio Callaway at Florida are 3 examples in the SEC

Their WR coaches must not be able to control them and their attitudes. If he could, they wouldn't be out there making willy-nilly plays, they'd still be developing their craft.

Reactions: 2 people
There are a myriad of problems

Dobbs has consistency issues

Receivers are poor against press coverage

Receivers don't fight for the ball

Receivers don't get open as often as they should

offensive line has been great run blocking, but poor at pass blocking (basically the opposite of the 2011 line)

We do one thing well on offense and that is run the football. Luckily, we have done that VERY WELL.

Lot of improvement across the board needs to be made in the throw game at all levels

Exactly. We have a myriad of "throw game" problems - the responsibility of the throw game coordinator to fix.

My personal opinion is that Dobbs is not that inaccurate and the other problems are much, much more important.

Reactions: 2 people
But we don't need to rely on freshmen

We have plenty of Sophomore and Junior Wideouts that were highly recruited who under-perform just the same

That's not my point. He said any WR coach will tell you it takes years to develop into a good WR, hence Azzanni needs more time with these kids. Granted, he's had 3 years with some of them so he's had his time. The FR comment was showing it doesn't take years for kids to develop into good WR. I think most coaches will say WR and RB are two of the easiest positions to come into as a FR and make an immediate impact.

Reactions: 1 person
There are a myriad of problems

Dobbs has consistency issues

Receivers are poor against press coverage

Receivers don't fight for the ball

Receivers don't get open as often as they should

offensive line has been great run blocking, but poor at pass blocking (basically the opposite of the 2011 line)

We do one thing well on offense and that is run the football. Luckily, we have done that VERY WELL.

Lot of improvement across the board needs to be made in the throw game at all levels

I definitely agree that it is fortunate that we run the ball as well as we do, because otherwise this season would be tons more frustrating than it has been already with the close losses. Also agree that the recievers struggle to get open for some reason, even against mediocre talent. I just think that, in my opinion, the majority of the woes from this team's passing game problems stem from Dobb's inaccuracy, which may lead to distrust on Azzanni's part when it comes to chuckin that rock downfield.

I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt for 2.5 years... but Malone, North, Pearson, and Pig would have been star receivers on any other receiving core in the country...

Flip the coin: Is it possible that some of Dobbs' accuracy problems are because the receivers aren't where they're supposed to be, or when they're supposed to be there?

Dobbs seems to be able to find the TE wide open in the middle of the defense from time to time. That's a tough throw, and it has to reach the target in a hurry before the LB/DB can close the hole.

Then again, I've seen several instances where Dobbs missed seeing a wide open WR downfield, and by the time he saw them, the coverage had caught up.

We all seem to agree that our passing game is missing something. The debate is whether it's primarily the OL, QB, WR's, or the coaching. My guess would be that all play some part in it, as there has not been much in the way of improvement over the course of the season. Just can't seem to find their rhythm.

One thing that really bugs me is the number of passes to a WR/RB in the flat. Opposing defenses have been blowing that play up for weeks now. Gotta find a way to get the ball to a WR/RB at least 5 yards downfield with a head of steam. Kamara can / will house one of those if he gets enough opportunities.

Time will tell. Go Vols.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
That's not my point. He said any WR coach will tell you it takes years to develop into a good WR, hence Azzanni needs more time with these kids. Granted, he's had 3 years with some of them so he's had his time. The FR comment was showing it doesn't take years for kids to develop into good WR. I think most coaches will say WR and RB are two of the easiest positions to come into as a FR and make an immediate impact.

The excuses you hear on this board are ridiculous. Nothing is Jones and his posse fault, you should be used to that by now.

I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt for 2.5 years... but Malone, North, Pearson, and Pig would have been star receivers on any other receiving core in the country...

Really?? So North and pearson could still be star players while hurt with any other team than UT? And any other team pig wouldn't have been kicked off their team?

Come on use common sense when posting.

Typical VN, LOL!

The fastest to reply and most vocal seem to always be those that know the least about college football and how to rebuild a team and a solid, consistent program.

Talk to any NFL coach and they'll tell you 1 of the most important things for a WR to learn is how to block correctly and successfully and our kids start to learn that from day 1 which is important if you want a solid run game which every team needs.

Any great WR coach will tell you that learning how to correctly become a good WR takes lots of time for most kids, even in the NFL, because there's lots more to it than running a route and catching a football.

Intelligent people know that great recruiting has been and always will be the number 1 most important thing in college football to build and maintain a great, successful program.

Coach Azzanni is a excellent recruiter and he's a huge part of why our Vols footVol tean has come so far in such a short period of time and that's 1 of the reasons he got a pay raise and a position improvement.

You can NOT have a good passing game until you have a solid O line that's good at pass blocking.

Any good O line coach will tell you it's much easier to learn how to run block and that pass blocking is much harder and takes much more time to perfect the pass blocking craft.

You can NOT have a good passing game if your QB is sporadic and not consistent with his passing accuracy, it just doesn't happen.

Every smart O coordinator that doesn't have all the pieces together for a good passing game will limit passing plays as much as he can until the pieces all come together and then the passing playbook will open up more.

Coaches can only call the plays that the team can execute well and they'll avoid what doesn't work well as much as they can in order to stack up as many WINS as they can throughout the season.

Our playcalling is limited because our QB isn't great with accuracy consistently, because our O line can't pass block consistently and the key is CONSISTENTLY.

You better be thankful that we have great recruiting from Coach Azzanni because without him we would probably still be a 5 Win team.

Those that can't see us getting better each year against some of the top 10 teams in the nation better take their blinders off and go try to actually learn what it really takes to rebuild a college football team back into a solid program.

Azzanni will probably get some good paying offers to leave our Vols soon and if we lose his great recruiting and coaching our Vols will start going backwards again.

Be very careful what you wish for folks, you might just get it and then badly regret it.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

those that know the least about college football

Nah!!!! You can't be referring to the great FB experts who lurk here. :no:

WRs get open--the ball sails over their heads or they have to twist into pretzels to catch balls thrown behind them--if it weren't for the stone hands of opponents' secondarys our offense would have to learn how to tackle.

But the good news is we have a QB who can conceal the weaknesses of the OL, who has the defense guessing on him handing off or keeping the ball, who is a smart runner who makes people miss, who is strong enough to break tackles and can hand off to a fast powerful back or a fast shifty back who is a home run threat----

It would be coaching malpractice if the WRs were not tasked to block.

Typical VN, LOL!

The fastest to reply and most vocal seem to always be those that know the least about college football and how to rebuild a team and a solid, consistent program.

Talk to any NFL coach and they'll tell you 1 of the most important things for a WR to learn is how to block correctly and successfully and our kids start to learn that from day 1 which is important if you want a solid run game which every team needs.

Any great WR coach will tell you that learning how to correctly become a good WR takes lots of time for most kids, even in the NFL, because there's lots more to it than running a route and catching a football.

Intelligent people know that great recruiting has been and always will be the number 1 most important thing in college football to build and maintain a great, successful program.

Coach Azzanni is a excellent recruiter and he's a huge part of why our Vols footVol tean has come so far in such a short period of time and that's 1 of the reasons he got a pay raise and a position improvement.

You can NOT have a good passing game until you have a solid O line that's good at pass blocking.

Any good O line coach will tell you it's much easier to learn how to run block and that pass blocking is much harder and takes much more time to perfect the pass blocking craft.

You can NOT have a good passing game if your QB is sporadic and not consistent with his passing accuracy, it just doesn't happen.

Every smart O coordinator that doesn't have all the pieces together for a good passing game will limit passing plays as much as he can until the pieces all come together and then the passing playbook will open up more.

Coaches can only call the plays that the team can execute well and they'll avoid what doesn't work well as much as they can in order to stack up as many WINS as they can throughout the season.

Our playcalling is limited because our QB isn't great with accuracy consistently, because our O line can't pass block consistently and the key is CONSISTENTLY.

You better be thankful that we have great recruiting from Coach Azzanni because without him we would probably still be a 5 Win team.

Those that can't see us getting better each year against some of the top 10 teams in the nation better take their blinders off and go try to actually learn what it really takes to rebuild a college football team back into a solid program.

Azzanni will probably get some good paying offers to leave our Vols soon and if we lose his great recruiting and coaching our Vols will start going backwards again.

Be very careful what you wish for folks, you might just get it and then badly regret it.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Dudes had 3 years with stud receivers to do something and hasn't. So what're you talking about

Reactions: 3 people
The throw game has had weapons: size, speed, athleticism, freak skills.

The throw game has been disjointed and guess what - it's not Josh Dobbs's fault.

The throw game coordinator has underperformed and if this offense is about blocking first and catching second I don't think we're going to have all those weapons for much longer.

"Throw game" and O-line are the major work needed in the offseason to take what should have been a 10-win team and turn them into SEC Champions.

I can't think of a more germane discussion on VolNation right now.

Who's Germane? Is he a potential new coach?

If I remember correctly, there were a lot of people on this site screaming for coach Azzanni to be promoted to Offensive Coordinator less than a year ago.

He has definitely over stayed his welcome. I can't get the guy to leave the house. Keeps telling me that cooking the turkey is a process. I am hungry and want to eat now. Thankfully, he is going to Walmart for the Black Friday sale. He wants to get a copy of Gigli on dvd for $3. He is a big Afleck fan.

I think he has it in him. I think if the blocking greatly improves we'll know for sure if he's legit or not.

Reminds me of how Jancek was a terrible DC until his unit, especially the line, solidified

good grief. im away for one day. and this is a real topic for discussion? Azzani is a good coach. We have had lots of injuries here guys. We told Preston Williams he was our guy. We didnt take any other marquis guys last cycle because of that, and it wasnt a need.

We can point to a lot of factors, besides coaching: First, pass blocking has been weak frequently; second, Dobbs is erratic--he'll make a couple of good throws and then miss a wide open receiver by five feet; third, we lost our most reliable receiver in Howard, plus Malone is still learning and North has been MIA for two years (the most injury prone receiver in the history of college football.)

As "Wide Receivers" coach and "Passing Game" coordinator has Azzanni overstayed his welcome here? He's basically had a season and a half with Dobbs and a slew of wide receivers to get a decent passing game together and has failed to do so.

That's a decision Butch's gonna have to make. :question:

VN Store

Back