Has Azzanni Overstayed His Welcome?

I've summed up your post for you. Yeah, blame it on the QB.

Why can't any of you Negavols just enjoy a Win? instead, you lives are so empty and useless that you sit at home and over analysis a game, a play, a coach etc. etc.

1. Offenses score

2. Defenses try to prevent scoring

4 of the 4 games we had leads in the 4th Qtr, we scored more than the other team. I am not blaming the Defense, I think they were still jelling as a unit, but the Offense has scored enough points to win every game........no one is perfect, except the perfect idiots that post these lame threads.........Happy Thanksgiving.

Reactions: 3 people
No, his opinion is not gospel.
However, he did play the position and he does have pretty much unfettered access to our players as a VFL that speaks to them occasionally.
He says he will never call for a coach to be fired.
However, he does also say that it is fair to look at improvement or lack thereof at each position.
This year, he is most impressed with the improvement at OL, DL, kicking game, then, to a lesser extent at LB and Db.
He says that there has been no improvement at WR and little at QB.
He thinks we need a QB coach that is not just a Grad Assistant to help Dobbs with his accuracy.
Plus, he doesn't like divided responsibilities of a run game coordinator and a throw game coordinator.
He thinks that DeBord should only be the OC and no longer help Mahoney on off line.

Back to Azzanni, you can read between the lines about how Swain feels about his coaching ability. He has hinted that ZA can't deal well with 4 and 5 star egos and that he has not improved route running. He has conceded that blocking has improved and that ZA is a good recruiter.

Sorry for the long post. Happy Thanksgiving!
Go Vols! Beat Vandy!

Reactions: 4 people
How is this Azzzanis fault: example Josh Smith vs MU left sideline 5 yards past DB is overthrown about 10 yards..if hit in stride TD. This is a typical example happens once or twice about every game , its hard for receivers or the team as a whole to get in a rhythm if this keeps happening in the pass game. There's blame to go around but to put it on one person is narrow minded.

injuries.to Croom, J Smith. Jennings,J Johnson,P Willams,M North

young receivers

lost Pig most experienced

QB inconsistent

confidence has not been earned

Reactions: 2 people
Any good coach will tell you that you can't be predictable and run the same 3 plays all season either. It takes balance. WRs aren't going to come to a school to block and get 300 yds receiving every year.

I mean you can be predictable if you're randy moss

Sorry that facts and truth upset you coug.

Also I did NOT put all the blame on the QB my friend.

Please find someone that really knows college football and all it takes to rebuild and maintain a consistent Winning program and all it takes to have a good passing game.

You'll feel better once you have a serious understanding of college football buddy.

This is all the drama attention you'll get from me today kid.

I don't play the childish drama arguements that go on and on.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

I don't necessarily disagree with your post, but the only one being childish here is you.

Stop trying to be a demeaning intellectual douche because you're only good at the douche part. Nothing you said was extremely intelligent, but rather opinion not founded by any factual information. If you don't think that coaching has anything to do with our lack of a passing game, then I don't know what to tell you. Good coaching is not why we basically don't have a passing game.

Reactions: 7 people
Does anyone remember that insider report about Jones jumping all over Azzani after the Arky game?

I don't really care how it happens or who needs to go in order to make it happen. WE NEED A TRUE QB COACH

Nah. He is limited. His QB is too inconsistent to boot him out yet. Catching those good passes needs to be fixed though.

So silly and useless.

Yea no doubt, makes me wish Freak would pull the plug on his servers sometimes because of all the dumbazz threads.

Azzani is top tier recruiter and untill we get some accuracy issues, running route issues, injury issues and youth issues taken care of it's asinine to say hes wore out his welcome.

Why is it the negavols never look at the big picture and factor everything in??

Reactions: 1 person
Yea no doubt, makes me wish Freak would pull the plug on his servers sometimes because of all the dumbazz threads.

Azzani is top tier recruiter and untill we get some accuracy issues, running route issues, injury issues and youth issues taken care of it's asinine to say hes wore out his welcome.

Why is it the negavols never look at the big picture and factor everything in??

If he was just a recruiter then he keeps a job but Butch had to step in and help him coach this season and Debord has helped O-line coach. Those two have had the least amount of improvement Passing game more so than the O-line which has done ok this year.

As "Wide Receivers" coach and "Passing Game" coordinator has Azzanni overstayed his welcome here? He's basically had a season and a half with Dobbs and a slew of wide receivers to get a decent passing game together and has failed to do so.

Don't know if you could have offered a more inaccurate synopsis of our passing game problems. You must have not watched a single UT game this year because you would know, unless you are blind, that Dobbs has major accuracy and consistency issues. I think he is our best chance to win and I like the way he carries himself, but he struggles throwing consistently.

Azzanni's not even a good recruiter anymore. We just lost Kyle Davis to Auburn. 4 and 5* are not going to come here to block and get 3 targets a game.

You do know we average 199 yards passing and Auburn averages 176. Just saying it doesn't look promising at Auburn either.

Don't know if you could have offered a more inaccurate synopsis of our passing game problems. You must have not watched a single UT game this year because you would know, unless you are blind, that Dobbs has major accuracy and consistency issues. I think he is our best chance to win and I like the way he carries himself, but he struggles throwing consistently.

There are a myriad of problems

Dobbs has consistency issues

Receivers are poor against press coverage

Receivers don't fight for the ball

Receivers don't get open as often as they should

offensive line has been great run blocking, but poor at pass blocking (basically the opposite of the 2011 line)

We do one thing well on offense and that is run the football. Luckily, we have done that VERY WELL.

Lot of improvement across the board needs to be made in the throw game at all levels

I dont know if ZA is the problem but it's a legit question.

Outside of Pig and Smith, I haven't seen anyone run a decent route since Z has been here. None of these guys seem to have great hands.

Just step back and look at it from a numbers perspective and pretend you're not a fan. ZA coaches receivers and is "passing game coordinator"

-His QB is 7th in the league in passing (behind UK and Ark qbs)

-His top WR is 27th in yardage (behind 2 TEs)

Is it his fault? We can't say for 100% certainty but the question bears asking.

Typical VN, LOL!

The fastest to reply and most vocal seem to always be those that know the least about college football and how to rebuild a team and a solid, consistent program.

Talk to any NFL coach and they'll tell you 1 of the most important things for a WR to learn is how to block correctly and successfully and our kids start to learn that from day 1 which is important if you want a solid run game which every team needs.

Any great WR coach will tell you that learning how to correctly become a good WR takes lots of time for most kids, even in the NFL, because there's lots more to it than running a route and catching a football.

Intelligent people know that great recruiting has been and always will be the number 1 most important thing in college football to build and maintain a great, successful program.

Coach Azzanni is a excellent recruiter and he's a huge part of why our Vols footVol tean has come so far in such a short period of time and that's 1 of the reasons he got a pay raise and a position improvement.

You can NOT have a good passing game until you have a solid O line that's good at pass blocking.

Any good O line coach will tell you it's much easier to learn how to run block and that pass blocking is much harder and takes much more time to perfect the pass blocking craft.

You can NOT have a good passing game if your QB is sporadic and not consistent with his passing accuracy, it just doesn't happen.

Every smart O coordinator that doesn't have all the pieces together for a good passing game will limit passing plays as much as he can until the pieces all come together and then the passing playbook will open up more.

Coaches can only call the plays that the team can execute well and they'll avoid what doesn't work well as much as they can in order to stack up as many WINS as they can throughout the season.

Our playcalling is limited because our QB isn't great with accuracy consistently, because our O line can't pass block consistently and the key is CONSISTENTLY.

You better be thankful that we have great recruiting from Coach Azzanni because without him we would probably still be a 5 Win team.

Those that can't see us getting better each year against some of the top 10 teams in the nation better take their blinders off and go try to actually learn what it really takes to rebuild a college football team back into a solid program.

Azzanni will probably get some good paying offers to leave our Vols soon and if we lose his great recruiting and coaching our Vols will start going backwards again.

Be very careful what you wish for folks, you might just get it and then badly regret it.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Yet every year, in every conference FR WR's step on the field and make an immediate impact. Guess they didn't get the memo from their WR coach that it's supposed to take them a long time to develop.

Reactions: 5 people
Yet every year, in every conference FR WR's step on the field and make an immediate impact. Guess they didn't get the memo from their WR coach that it's supposed to take them a long time to develop.

Christian Kirk at Texas A&M, Calvin Ridley at Alabama, Antonio Callaway at Florida are 3 examples in the SEC

Our top WR is Josh Malone who is ranked #27 in the SEC in receiving yards. We have only 1 WR with 30+ receptions. For much of the season, we've seen our very physically gifted WRs continually have trouble getting off press man coverage as well have issues getting any separation. Josh Malone is the only WR this year who's really gotten behind the secondary....once vs Kentucky, once vs SCar. Some former Vol WRs have questioned the minutae that Z seems to focus and have stated they believe it hampers the WR corps' ability to play freely and make plays....even down to the WR stance that Z taught from day 1 (which Jones or DeBord seem to have altered a bit). All I know is, through recruiting, we as Vol fans have been excited and have taken great pride in the athletes who have decided to play for Tennessee.....and virtually none of them have reached/tapped their potential, produced at a high level or even stayed healthy with Z as their primary coach. It's time to try someone else and see if he can get the job done because Azzani clearly cannot IMO.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back