Happy Theft Day

I personally don't see it as theft (can't personally make the leap), but I can see how others do.

The problem I have with taxes is 1) what they are used for and 2) how they are collected. Regarding #1, I'm perfectly willing to pay for the "price of civilization" stuff (military, police, courts, etc.); basically the stuff explicitly outlined in the Constitution. I don't like paying for transfer payment/social engineering-type programs.

I also have a problem with the concept of an income tax. The money that is withheld from your paycheck and you don't get back in a "refund" (so Orwellian to call it that) is, practically speaking, never yours even though you worked for it. Your employer extended their hand to you with cash in it, but before you could take it the government took the cash from your employer's hand, took some of it, and allowed you to keep the rest (until you file your taxes, when they might take even more). I don't like the idea of directly taxing someone's income.

If I get a refund, and I get the physical check, I always get a chuckle out of how it is a check from the US Treasury, as if that money was never yours to begin with. That is your own money they are giving you back, and they got to use it interest-free all year long.

Funding the government through a consumption tax is, I think, philosophically a better way to go about this. Gas taxes, for example, pay for the construction/maintenance of the interstates. This essentially is a user fee. The trucking companies for example, who use the interstates more than anyone else, are incurring most of the costs. If you never drive, you don't pay a dime for the interstate. Taxes should be made into user fees to the greatest extent possible.
Abso-freaking-loutely

We aren't running trillion-dollar deficits because of fake disability claims or people milking the welfare system. By all means let's deal with those things, but we aren't in the financial position we find ourselves in because of it.

We run massive deficits because there is a pension program nobody wants to reform (Social Security), a health insurance program for the elderly nobody wants to reform (Medicare), and nobody wants us to stop being the security service for the whole world (military). That's it. Everything else is incidental. The government does a ton of stuff, but over 2/3rds of the budget is tied up in those three things. The government is a pension, health insurance, and security operation.
Government defined benefit retirement programs in every single level of government need to stop instantly. Firefighters, cops, clerks, aldermen, congressmen, judges, even the ****ing president do not deserve taxpayer funded pensions. Period.

The ONLY people I can think of that should be taken care of in perpetuity are military members that have gone into harm's way and have been rendered handicapped because of it. Other than that, learn to invest your own ****ing money.

Reactions: 3 people
Government defined benefit retirement programs in every single level of government need to stop instantly. Firefighters, cops, clerks, aldermen, congressmen, judges, even the ****ing president do not deserve taxpayer funded pensions. Period.

The ONLY people I can think of that should be taken care of in perpetuity are military members that have gone into harm's way and have been rendered handicapped because of it. Other than that, learn to invest your own ****ing money.
Ain't that the dang truth?

Why is that? Just curious as to your reasoning.

I believe that corporate taxes combined with a bill making tax money to be paid by each state based on its population would take care of our needs. Also, we are just money manufacturers in the USA. If things were held to a better standard and spending brought under control, we would have plenty to sustain us without stealing from individuals.

Absolute truth right here.

I believe that corporate taxes combined with a bill making tax money to be paid by each state based on its population would take care of our needs. Also, we are just money manufacturers in the USA. If things were held to a better standard and spending brought under control, we would have plenty to sustain us without stealing from individuals.

Interesting idea. Totally agree about bringing spending under control.

So you don’t believe in personal income taxes but support Coorprate income taxes? Weird.

Reactions: 1 person
So you don’t believe in personal income taxes but support Coorprate income taxes? Weird.

Almost sounds like he would like to raise the tax on businesses and lower it for individuals. That is weird.

Interesting. I would bet there would be a giant sucking sound out of NY and Cali if your idea was implemented. SO then what happens? The jobs go away, so does the money, and then there is no way to tax the base that stays except to raise taxes on the individuals. And the 'rich' that remain are not stupid. See Detroit and its' loss of tax base. And what do you mean by 'things' being held to a better standard?

Reactions: 1 person
Interesting. I would bet there would be a giant sucking sound out of NY and Cali if your idea was implemented. SO then what happens? The jobs go away, so does the money, and then there is no way to tax the base that stays except to raise taxes on the individuals. And the 'rich' that remain are not stupid. See Detroit and its' loss of tax base. And what do you mean by 'things' being held to a better standard?

Who's John Gault?

Reactions: 2 people
Didnt get any money from the feds, and income tax in 2 states absolutely kicked my teeth in

VN Store

Back