Happy Theft Day

Yep. So let’s use our little brains and calculate which one costs more at the end of the day. I guess I missed the part in history class where we discussed all of those civilizations that failed because they spent too much on their vulnerable citizens.

I have zero problem with paying taxes and I love my country/system of government. However, I hate that we’ve elected morally corrupt representatives that would rather spend our money in the most corrupt ways. I would never place that blame at the feet of poor people.

I’m not blaming the poor people. Truly poor people that have no other means of caring for themselves I am 100% behind.

I am laying part blame at the feet of “poor people” whom choose to be poor and whom choose to lay on their collective a$$es to draw that check. I partly lay blame on the “disabled” person whom isn’t really disabled but found a doctor to give them the diagnosis so they can draw their check, along with their minor children, all while going out working for cash money. Isn’t it amazing how when some states set forth work requirements for EBT cards, that those requests for EBT suddenly diminished?

Yes, military spending and pork projects are to blame too. But to label that I or others are picking on the poor people is bs. Truly poor people...have at it. The ones that choose to not work and keep popping out kids to get more benefits and feign disability are a huge part of the problem. Those people aren’t “poor”. They are lazy a$$es and system manipulators.

Reactions: 2 people
What about the military? Homeland security? What about education? What about law enforcement? The criminal justice system? The prison system? The EPA? General licensing? Food stamps? Immigration?

Pretty much anybody is going to have a handful of hell yeahs and hell nos in that group, and so nothing ever gets gutted. Each issue just becomes a chess piece politicians can use to manipulate us.

Cut it all up. Slice it. Dice it. Julliene that ****. Put the budget and sacred cows in a blender and hit frappe.

Yankees are the reason I bought in the Panhandle. There are some there, but nothing like farther south. There are a bunch of good ole boys there, too.

Good to hear some things are still kinda what they used to be. I started the first grade at Tyndall, and was back a few times years later when my brother was there - that's the FL I have in my mind as the real FL. It seems like from Orlando on south, it's done the proverbial to hell in a hand basket.

Reactions: 1 person
My town doesn't have a single hotel.

But it has a hotel tax on the books.

Why? Just so they didn't miss the opportunity if someone did build a hotel here. "Everyone else does the same thing." - Local Alderman

All you need to know about taxes.

Reactions: 4 people
for the tax is theft crowd:

would it change your opinion if we weren't in a deficit and didn't owe trillions? Tax rate stayed as it is, all the various programs were running as they are, but magically the numbers worked out?

would it be theft if the government only spent money on the things you agreed with?

is there a non-zero rate you would consider not theft?

personally I don't see it as theft, although I understand what you are saying. I see the system we have as embezzling and was thinking that would change if we weren't in debt, so I was curious if it changes the theft aspect.

I personally don't see it as theft (can't personally make the leap), but I can see how others do.

The problem I have with taxes is 1) what they are used for and 2) how they are collected. Regarding #1, I'm perfectly willing to pay for the "price of civilization" stuff (military, police, courts, etc.); basically the stuff explicitly outlined in the Constitution. I don't like paying for transfer payment/social engineering-type programs.

I also have a problem with the concept of an income tax. The money that is withheld from your paycheck and you don't get back in a "refund" (so Orwellian to call it that) is, practically speaking, never yours even though you worked for it. Your employer extended their hand to you with cash in it, but before you could take it the government took the cash from your employer's hand, took some of it, and allowed you to keep the rest (until you file your taxes, when they might take even more). I don't like the idea of directly taxing someone's income.

If I get a refund, and I get the physical check, I always get a chuckle out of how it is a check from the US Treasury, as if that money was never yours to begin with. That is your own money they are giving you back, and they got to use it interest-free all year long.

Funding the government through a consumption tax is, I think, philosophically a better way to go about this. Gas taxes, for example, pay for the construction/maintenance of the interstates. This essentially is a user fee. The trucking companies for example, who use the interstates more than anyone else, are incurring most of the costs. If you never drive, you don't pay a dime for the interstate. Taxes should be made into user fees to the greatest extent possible.

Reactions: 3 people
I am laying part blame at the feet of “poor people” whom choose to be poor and whom choose to lay on their collective a$$es to draw that check. I partly lay blame on the “disabled” person whom isn’t really disabled but found a doctor to give them the diagnosis so they can draw their check, along with their minor children, all while going out working for cash money.

We aren't running trillion-dollar deficits because of fake disability claims or people milking the welfare system. By all means let's deal with those things, but we aren't in the financial position we find ourselves in because of it.

We run massive deficits because there is a pension program nobody wants to reform (Social Security), a health insurance program for the elderly nobody wants to reform (Medicare), and nobody wants us to stop being the security service for the whole world (military). That's it. Everything else is incidental. The government does a ton of stuff, but over 2/3rds of the budget is tied up in those three things. The government is a pension, health insurance, and security operation.

Reactions: 3 people
We aren't running trillion-dollar deficits because of fake disability claims or people milking the welfare system. By all means let's deal with those things, but we aren't in the financial position we find ourselves in because of it.

We run massive deficits because there is a pension program nobody wants to reform (Social Security), a health insurance program for the elderly nobody wants to reform (Medicare), and nobody wants us to stop being the security service for the whole world (military). That's it. Everything else is incidental. The government does a ton of stuff, but over 2/3rds of the budget is tied up in those three things. The government is a pension, health insurance, and security operation.

Medicare is in the process of being reformed. It was the part of Obamacare no one ever talks about. There was a 2% cut in Medicare payments in 2011 due to the sequester. For those critical access hospitals that used to get paid 101% of cost, now get paid 98% of cost after another 1% gradually removed. And most critical access hospitals have about 2/3 of their patients being Medicare/Medicaid. That’s why small hospitals have been closing and more will be in the coming years if something isn’t done.

So that part is already being woked on.

What about the military? Homeland security? What about education? What about law enforcement? The criminal justice system? The prison system? The EPA? General licensing? Food stamps? Immigration?

Pretty much anybody is going to have a handful of hell yeahs and hell nos in that group, and so nothing ever gets gutted. Each issue just becomes a chess piece politicians can use to manipulate us.
Cut it all by "x" dollars or "y" percent.

Reactions: 2 people
Medicare is in the process of being reformed. It was the part of Obamacare no one ever talks about. There was a 2% cut in Medicare payments in 2011 due to the sequester. For those critical access hospitals that used to get paid 101% of cost, now get paid 98% of cost after another 1% gradually removed. And most critical access hospitals have about 2/3 of their patients being Medicare/Medicaid. That’s why small hospitals have been closing and more will be in the coming years if something isn’t done.

So that part is already being woked on.

That's putting a band aid on a gunshot wound.

There has been no attempt to seriously reform the program, ever, and likely won't be until the Treasury has a funding crisis.

Good to hear some things are still kinda what they used to be. I started the first grade at Tyndall, and was back a few times years later when my brother was there - that's the FL I have in my mind as the real FL. It seems like from Orlando on south, it's done the proverbial to hell in a hand basket.
A lot of good ole Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama boys have a place down there. Some have moved full time, plus you have the locals and the occasional Tennessean or Kentuckian. My 2 closest neighbors there come from Middle TN and Eastern KY.

Not sure about Destin anymore because I quit going there when it got crowded. It may be crawling with them as far as I know.

Last edited:
Cut it all up. Slice it. Dice it. Julliene that ****. Put the budget and sacred cows in a blender and hit frappe.

71c%2BRLP3eCL._SL1500_.jpg

You obviously completely misinterpreted the post on the three societies. Shocker.......

The "societies" were countries, not economic levels. I'm guessing we both live in the US, so the humor you find is confusing. (and humorous in its own right)
Nope. I got that you used the word 'societies. It was a clear deflection from the real issue. 'That is why I am laughing at you. Your message was loud and clear.

oh yeah, I would refuse to do documents in Sketch Up. most of our structural engineers won't touch Revit. some of the big guys do, but for the most part they stick to CAD.
AutoCad? I have played around with Revit. Man that is an awesome program. I can only imagine what someone that really knows how to use it can do with it.

Yankees are the reason I quit looking down south, and bought in the Panhandle instead. There are some Yankees there, but nothing like farther south. There are a bunch of good ole boys in the Panhandle.
But if you go far enough south in Florida, you eventually hit Cuba. I think that is around Calle Ocho in Miami.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back