Guarantano's "big" arm

Not really. He has a decent arm, good even. He is very capable of making 40 yard throws. But to be honest, McBride has the bigger arm. He can make a 50 yard throw with little effort.

Both quarterbacks issue is accuracy. McBride has the worse timing, overthrowing on one play, then throwing short or behind the next.

JG's main issue is he still doesn't trust his line. And if a QB doesn't trust their line, they are going to hurry throws, force throws to the first receiver, not make progressions, etc.

If I had to absolutely choose between the 2, it would come down to who picked up the playbook quickest, and I would get them the bulk of the 1st team reps. I'd be trying to build timing and a "feel" between them.

But the season is going to ride on the same as last year, can the line protect the QB. If not, it's going to be a long, tough year. If we can get even a modicum of protection, then we should be decent.

I disagree, I think Guarantano has the better arm and release. That doesn't always make a succesful QB, as we know. How smart are they, do they like to compete, are they mentally tough? A really good one is d**n hard to find.

Reactions: 1 person
JG definitely has arm strength but his instincts really need to improve.

I know our O-Line is bad but he’s got to know when to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack.

Jamarcus Russell had the strongest arm I've ever seen. A couple of other legendary arms from the past are Bert Jones and Jeff George. It goes to show you that having a cannon will only get you so far. In Jones's case his career was derailed by shoulder problems that lessened the boom of his cannon. George looked so good slinging it around teams keep giving him a job, i don't think he was a tough enough competitor. There have been some great arms come through college and NFL football. A guy with a big arm is just more fun to watch.:popcorn:
As far as our beloved Tennessee Volunteers go, I saw Tony Robinson flip throws 60 yards when he was there. I don't know how far he could have thrown the ball if he really tried?
:good!: for last sentence.

May have a big arm, but he needs to show he has some consistent ability to be accurate downfield. And to be fair, he needs much better line play to help with that. Chryst will be the starter though, in my opinion.

JG is going to have to improve if he is going to start. I have not seen a big consistent arm at all yet. Where was it in the O@W game. GBO!!!

Not really. He has a decent arm, good even. He is very capable of making 40 yard throws. But to be honest, McBride has the bigger arm. He can make a 50 yard throw with little effort.

Both quarterbacks issue is accuracy. McBride has the worse timing, overthrowing on one play, then throwing short or behind the next.

JG's main issue is he still doesn't trust his line. And if a QB doesn't trust their line, they are going to hurry throws, force throws to the first receiver, not make progressions, etc.

If I had to absolutely choose between the 2, it would come down to who picked up the playbook quickest, and I would get them the bulk of the 1st team reps. I'd be trying to build timing and a "feel" between them.

But the season is going to ride on the same as last year, can the line protect the QB. If not, it's going to be a long, tough year. If we can get even a modicum of protection, then we should be decent.

McBride has a bigger arm? Oh my lawd! Lol

Tony Robinson, Heath Shuler and Tyler Bray are the three QBs I can remember whose arm strength allowed them to make plays that could take your breath away.

I have yet to see that moment with JG. But I would be happy if the new coaches could somehow bring that out of him. One thing's for sure, having a little bit of time given to you by your OL will make any QB look better.

Jamarcus Russell had the strongest arm I've ever seen. A couple of other legendary arms from the past are Bert Jones and Jeff George. It goes to show you that having a cannon will only get you so far. In Jones's case his career was derailed by shoulder problems that lessened the boom of his cannon. George looked so good slinging it around teams keep giving him a job, i don't think he was a tough enough competitor. There have been some great arms come through college and NFL football. A guy with a big arm is just more fun to watch.:popcorn:
As far as our beloved Tennessee Volunteers go, I saw Tony Robinson flip throws 60 yards when he was there. I don't know how far he could have thrown the ball if he really tried?

Tony was really good.

Reactions: 2 people
Didn't McElroy also comment on JG not having a lot of arm strength and talked about his placement?

I think he said that JG “didn’t have the biggest arm”, while saying that he thought he had a good enough arm to be an effective SEC QB.

That said, with all due respect to Greg, who I think is a very good college football analyst, I’ll defer to George Whitfield here, who makes his living working with/training some of the most talented QBs and QB prospects in the country. He has no reason to inflate his opinion of JG...and given the who’s who list of QBs he’s worked with over the years, it’s a strong compliment/assessment for him to give.

It’s kind of hard for a QB to show off his arm when he’s constantly running for his life or flat on his back. Let’s hope the line improves enough that we can actually see this arm in action consistently.

Deep outs are usually where scouts decide what kind of arm the QB has. Deep anythings somewhat but seams require a certain touch even if deep. If a QB needs to put a lot of air underneath an out to get it there, it makes the risk of INTs higher. If he can throw an out on a rope down and outside, the proverbial "back shoulder" out, harder to make a pick on those. Eason and Fromm both were pretty good at it, I thought Eason was better than Fromm at it though.

That boy got such an arm, why he can throw a meatball clean through a phonebook and not even leave a sauce stain on the yellow pages.

Yes, absolutely. Threw a couple of skinny posts and/or deep seam routes where you thought “ok young buck, that’s a big time throw”....McElroy commented on a couple of them in the second half, when he was on the field behind the offense.

To my poi t McElroy said he has good arm but it's not an elite type arm like uga has or bama

In watching the spring game, were there any throws you saw from JG where you thought he showcased this big arm?

No, I did not see it Freak. I did see him struggle with throws to his left though. I also saw him holding the ball to long as normal and like the article said he needs to work on his footwork.

I'm sure if he is working on it every day he will improve so that's a plus.

Last edited:
To my poi t McElroy said he has good arm but it's not an elite type arm like uga has or bama

I will be honest I didn't watch UGA much this past year. Although was Fromm's arm the real talent? I could have swore it was the two future NFL prow bowlers in the back field he had. I am not saying that Fromm isn't a stud but his arm never really amazed me. Tua on the other hand is legit.

Eason has an elite arm. Maybe Fields. Guarantano’s arm is STRONGER than Fromm’s. Accuracy and football intelligence are on Fromm’s side of the ledger currently.

VN Store

Back