Guarantano's "big" arm

A lot of people seem to think the magic solution is that a player needs to be “coached up”.

Unfortunately, some kids can’t be coached up. They have limited potential. I don’t think JG is one of those. We will see this fall.

I will be honest I didn't watch UGA much this past year. Although was Fromm's arm the real talent? I could have swore it was the two future NFL prow bowlers in the back field he had. I am not saying that Fromm isn't a stud but his arm never really amazed me. Tua on the other hand is legit.

I think Guarantano can throw the ball with either of those guys. He could've made that throw Tua did in the Championship game. The question is, would he have read the coverage and moved the safety with his eyes like Tua did?:question: Last year I say no:no:, I hope he's coached up, confident and ready to make that throw this season:ermm:

Reactions: 2 people
Having a great arm is but a small part of being a qb. Danny Wuerffel couldn’t bust a grape throwing the ball, but his timing, accuracy, toughness and decision-making was among the best ever in college football.

Meanwhile, Felipe Franks can sling it 70-yards and fire it through a brick wall.... you know the rest.

No. He made some crisp, quick throws though. Behind this line we can't expect much out of him, especially since he doesn't have Dobbs' wheels.

I saw several throws that demonstrated a very strong arm in the spring game. He threw a few 20-yard passes on a rope that were very well placed. He also threw two or three passes down the sidelines for 30-40 yards without any effort. I remember thinking now this is the arm I have been hearing about for two years. Given time, as several coaches at QB camps have said, there isn't a throw he can't make. I think he is going to be a bright spot on the team this year. Hopefully, CJP can develop his leadership skills and maturity.

Having a great arm is but a small part of being a qb. Danny Wuerffel couldn’t bust a grape throwing the ball, but his timing, accuracy, toughness and decision-making was among the best ever in college football.

Meanwhile, Felipe Franks can sling it 70-yards and fire it through a brick wall.... you know the rest.

I was at The Swamp when he started against us, I think he was a Fr. During the pre game Heath Shuler was out there throwing pills for us. I started watching Wuerffel, I always thought his motion looked like he started with the ball next to the right side of his chest and pushed out and up. It didn't look good. I thought, this guy sucks, then he beat our a**. It was a shame Tennessee was really talented that year.:cray: it was Fulmers first full season as HC.

Last edited:
Not really. He has a decent arm, good even. He is very capable of making 40 yard throws. But to be honest, McBride has the bigger arm. He can make a 50 yard throw with little effort.

Both quarterbacks issue is accuracy. McBride has the worse timing, overthrowing on one play, then throwing short or behind the next.

JG's main issue is he still doesn't trust his line. And if a QB doesn't trust their line, they are going to hurry throws, force throws to the first receiver, not make progressions, etc.

If I had to absolutely choose between the 2, it would come down to who picked up the playbook quickest, and I would get them the bulk of the 1st team reps. I'd be trying to build timing and a "feel" between them.

But the season is going to ride on the same as last year, can the line protect the QB. If not, it's going to be a long, tough year. If we can get even a modicum of protection, then we should be decent.

Do what? JG has the FAR stronger arm, not even close. Also, only McBride, who completed 41% of his passes last season and about 35% of his passes in the spring game has accuracy issues. JG completed about 62% of his passes last year, most of which were vs SEC competition.

I also disagree that JG didn’t trust his OL last year....if anything, it was the exact opposite, he trusted it way too much, beyond a fault, by holding onto the ball way too long and taking a lot of bad sacks. If he didn’t trust his OL he would’ve bailed out early on plays and likely thrown some bad interceptions because he wasn’t poised, and that’s not at all what happened last year.

Finally, NOBODY is gonna have to choose between JG and Mcbride this year, because McBride ain’t remotely in the conversation. The QB battle, barring injury, is gonna be between only JG and Chryst, with JG having a pretty sizeable head start.

Reactions: 3 people
Do what? JG has the FAR stronger arm, not even close. Also, only McBride, who completed 41% of his passes last season and about 35% of his passes in the spring game has accuracy issues. JG completed about 62% of his passes last year, most of which were vs SEC competition.

I also disagree that JG didn’t trust his OL last year....if anything, it was the exact opposite, he trusted it way too much, beyond a fault, by holding onto the ball way too long and taking a lot of bad sacks. If he didn’t trust his OL he would’ve bailed out early on plays and likely thrown some bad interceptions because he wasn’t poised, and that’s not at all what happened last year.

Finally, NOBODY is gonna have to choose between JG and Mcbride this year, because McBride ain’t remotely in the conversation. The QB battle, barring injury, is gonna be between only JG and Chryst, with JG having a pretty sizeable head start.

You make some good points and I can't disagree with most of what you said.

But I think it's wrong to dismiss McBride so quickly. He was as green as you can be and playing in just about the worst possible circumstances. There were some positives to take away, particularly his poise, IMO. I don't put that much stock into his performance in the O&W game.

What some people may miss is that you don't really need an All-World QB to win championships. A poised game manager who doesn't hurt you will take you a long way, if he has the rest of the pieces around him and good coaching.

I agree, McBride won't and shouldn't be in the conversation. But yeah, he throws the longer ball more easily. On Accuracy, timing, decision making, JG has him beat.

Go back and watch the spring game. Receivers have to wait for the long ball from JG, McBride overthrows them. JG on a 40 yrd pass, McBride on a 50 yrd pass.

Last edited:
You make some good points and I can't disagree with most of what you said.

But I think it's wrong to dismiss McBride so quickly. He was as green as you can be and playing in just about the worst possible circumstances. There were some positives to take away, particularly his poise, IMO. I don't put that much stock into his performance in the O&W game.

What some people may miss is that you don't really need an All-World QB to win championships. A poised game manager who doesn't hurt you will take you a long way, if he has the rest of the pieces around him and good coaching.

If McBride is able/willing to take a RS year and wait until 2019 or 2020, I think he’ll have a shot to be the guy. He’s gonna have to be patient and get to know the system inside and out though.

If McBride is able/willing to take a RS year and wait until 2019 or 2020, I think he’ll have a shot to be the guy. He’s gonna have to be patient and get to know the system inside and out though.

Uhh is McBride eligible for a redshirt? He burned his last year. (Well Butch Jones burned it for no reason)

JG definitely has arm strength but his instincts really need to improve.

I know our O-Line is bad but he’s got to know when to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack.

He will improve as he gains more experience and confidence in his teammates, especially, the line’s ability to protect him. I just hope he improves enough to lead the Vols to a solid season.

Uhh is McBride eligible for a redshirt? He burned his last year. (Well Butch Jones burned it for no reason)

That’s not the way a redshirt works. A player can take it at any point in his career. Since he played last year, he didn’t use it, he didn’t “burn” it....he’s eligible to take it at any point going forward.

That being said, I don’t think he’ll ever take one at Tennessee, he’s already been recruited over with Shrout.....and whomever Tennessee signs in the 2019 class will push him further down the depth chart.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
JG didn’t win any games last year and wasn’t an effective game manager. However, he had Butch as his coach and a sieve for an offensive line. I really like how hard he threw it and how he got up everytime he held the ball too long. I especially liked how he showed himself on the sidelines the first game of the year. This act had to show his teammates he was their leader. After all, he was misled by coach and he was justified.

JG didn’t win any games last year and wasn’t an effective game manager. However, he had Butch as his coach and a sieve for an offensive line. I really like how hard he threw it and how he got up everytime he held the ball too long. I especially liked how he showed himself on the sidelines the first game of the year. This act had to show his teammates he was their leader. After all, he was misled by coach and he was justified.

Now say that without the tears on your cheeks.

Reactions: 4 people

1. He did win a game last year as the starter, vs Southern Miss.....9-13 for 102 yards in the first half before missing the second half due to injury

2. Should’ve won the SCar game as well after leading the team down on a potential game winning drive....Brandon Johnson dropped a perfectly thrown pass in the end zone from JG on the last play of the game.

3. JG didn’t handle not playing in the GATech game, just like QD didn’t handle being benched and JG being named starter very well. Contentious relationship between the two after the QB battle was incredibly poorly managed by BJ and Canales. Lotta promises made and broken by our former head coach. It’s well documented.

4. Guess you stoppe watching at the GATech game, because JG was definitely, absolutely one of the team leaders by season’s end after showing a lot of enthusiasm, excellent toughness and some very good QB play at times. Go and watch the Vandy postgame presser and comments by JG and Trey Smith and get back to us.

Reactions: 3 people
I think JG will have to get a lot better this spring to hold off Chryst. Like Pruitt said we probably won't know the starting QB until game time vs W. Va.

That’s not the way a redshirt works. A player can take it at any point in his career. Since he played last year, he didn’t use it, he didn’t “burn” it....he’s eligible to take it at any point going forward.

That being said, I don’t think he’ll ever take one at Tennessee, he’s already been recruited over with Shrout.....and whomever Tennessee signs in the 2019 class will push him further down the depth chart.

Thanks for that KB I just looked it up, apparently Redshirts aren't actually submitted until the end of the season.

So yes you were correct. Since he wasn't actually declared as a redshirt at the end of the season he was able to keep a redshirt year.

Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for that KB I just looked it up, apparently Redshirts aren't actually submitted until the end of the season.

So yes you were correct. Since he wasn't actually declared as a redshirt at the end of the season he was able to keep a redshirt year.

Thanks again!

No worries buddy. Lotta these rules are really confusing, but I recalled Fulmer actually redshirting some sophomore and junior OLinemen back in the day. Also, the verbiage around “burning a kid’s redshirt” can be confusing as well. In other words, Tennessee “burned” McBride’s redshirt last year in that him playing last year meant that he couldn’t take it LAST YEAR, as a freshman....but he can still redshirt this year or next year or next if he and the staff choose to do so.

Reactions: 1 person
Eason has an elite arm. Maybe Fields. Guarantano’s arm is STRONGER than Fromm’s. Accuracy and football intelligence are on Fromm’s side of the ledger currently.

I agree with you on Fromm, he was a big story last season because he was a Fr and his team was really good. The media pounced, like a cat on a mouse. That offense just needed him to manage the game. That's all you need when your stacked everywhere. How many Elite Qb's has the Little Tsar (Saban) had? That's what Tee did here in 98, won a Championship.

Last edited:
No worries buddy. Lotta these rules are really confusing, but I recalled Fulmer actually redshirting some sophomore and junior OLinemen back in the day. Also, the verbiage around “burning a kid’s redshirt” can be confusing as well. In other words, Tennessee “burned” McBride’s redshirt last year in that him playing last year meant that he couldn’t take it LAST YEAR, as a freshman....but he can still redshirt this year or next year or next if he and the staff choose to do so.

Yup honestly I never knew that rule, I always thought Redshirts were announced at the beginning of the season. Nice to learn a little something after so many years.

I agree with you as well I don't see McBride taking a redshirt at Tennessee and if Shrout is anywhere near as good as they say he is, I think one of our QBs will be transferring at the end of the year.

Football season needs to hurry up. I want to see all the surprises.

VN Store

Back