Guarantano's "big" arm

I don’t think anyone saw what either quartback can do. Even Peyton or Tom Brady get real average or worse when they’re on the run or on their backside. Same with John Kelly when he got through the line without getting hit as soon as he got the ball he was pretty special. Not so when he was beat to death before he crossed the line of scrimmage. It’s all about the trenches. If we improve there I think we’ll see the offense improve dramically if not it’ll be more of the same without a Dobbs to save the day with his legs.

Reactions: 5 people
LOL..people can come up with anything...
I remember the Punt, Pass, and Kick competions the NFL has or had for kids...I would say there were some strong arms in those competions too...
I don't care how far you can throw it or even how fast the ball gets there.
If you can't hit the moving target with the ball its no different than those Punt, Pass and Kick competitions....

Someone's still upset about losing that punt, pass, and kick competition in 3rd grade

Reactions: 12 people
He looked like he had a strong arm, but also had very little touch. The 3 yard dump to a wr over the middle normally looked like it had the same velocity as the 30 yard bullet he was trying to squeeze between defenders.

Reactions: 4 people
LOL..people can come up with anything...
I remember the Punt, Pass, and Kick competions the NFL has or had for kids...I would say there were some strong arms in those competions too...
I don't care how far you can throw it or even how fast the ball gets there.
If you can't hit the moving target with the ball its no different than those Punt, Pass and Kick competitions....

I'm with you except my example of why I dont care is if we dont win you can have beat arm in league. All that matters is winning. Jg did not help us in that category last year.

Hope to see that big arm this Fall. On a side note, Bray had the best arm for any Vol QB going back probably 20 years

One thing of note from the spring game, Pruitt threw deep on several occasions with all the QB's that played.

Letting the WR's see this again and again?

Reactions: 1 person
I am hopeful that JG is way more talented than Butch Jones allowed him to be. You can have the skill sucked right of talented players with poor coaching. I hope maybe that was the case with JG and we'll see this big arm.

Reactions: 2 people
Nb4 Greazy posts that JG isn’t good enough to play on Reese Hall’s 4th floor east intramural flag football team.

lmao lmao If butch jones was here no question he is starter. New coach come in and changed everything.

Yes, absolutely. Threw a couple of skinny posts and/or deep seam routes where you thought “ok young buck, that’s a big time throw”....McElroy commented on a couple of them in the second half, when he was on the field behind the offense.

Didn't McElroy also comment on JG not having a lot of arm strength and talked about his placement?

No. He made some crisp, quick throws though. Behind this line we can't expect much out of him, especially since he doesn't have Dobbs' wheels.

he's not incapable of scrambling, but last year he didn't have Dobbs' brain either...maybe this season, we'll see some of both...if he gets the nod, that is...but, whoever starts better be able to do some quick thinking and scrambling...it could get ugly...:)

GBO!

I think we have to worry more about the mental game with JG and a quicker release and decision making. I think his arm is good enough to make all the throws. Holding and thinking and failure to throw the ball away when you have nothing hasn't come to him easily. Maybe this staff can get his mind right.

Didn't McElroy also comment on JG not having a lot of arm strength and talked about his placement?

That's what I remember McElroy saying ... that JG didn't have a big arm. I was thinking that the receivers last fall camp where talking about how hard the balls where coming from JG. Made me wonder if McElroy had done his research or was only going on what he saw a the spring game.

Was going to photoshop JG's head on this but I'm too lazy.

14273267276.jpg

It appear's he has been doing a lot of personal time with his right arm.

:thud:

Best arm talent I’ve ever seen. Kid was dropping 50 yard dimes. Also had great touch, knowing when and how to lob a pass over LBs.

Jamarcus Russell had the strongest arm I've ever seen. A couple of other legendary arms from the past are Bert Jones and Jeff George. It goes to show you that having a cannon will only get you so far. In Jones's case his career was derailed by shoulder problems that lessened the boom of his cannon. George looked so good slinging it around teams keep giving him a job, i don't think he was a tough enough competitor. There have been some great arms come through college and NFL football. A guy with a big arm is just more fun to watch.:popcorn:
As far as our beloved Tennessee Volunteers go, I saw Tony Robinson flip throws 60 yards when he was there. I don't know how far he could have thrown the ball if he really tried?

Last edited:
In watching the spring game, were there any throws you saw from JG where you thought he showcased this big arm?

Not really. He has a decent arm, good even. He is very capable of making 40 yard throws. But to be honest, McBride has the bigger arm. He can make a 50 yard throw with little effort.

Both quarterbacks issue is accuracy. McBride has the worse timing, overthrowing on one play, then throwing short or behind the next.

JG's main issue is he still doesn't trust his line. And if a QB doesn't trust their line, they are going to hurry throws, force throws to the first receiver, not make progressions, etc.

If I had to absolutely choose between the 2, it would come down to who picked up the playbook quickest, and I would get them the bulk of the 1st team reps. I'd be trying to build timing and a "feel" between them.

But the season is going to ride on the same as last year, can the line protect the QB. If not, it's going to be a long, tough year. If we can get even a modicum of protection, then we should be decent.

Last edited:
Most QBs don't have a big arm when laying on their back 1.1 seconds after receiving the snap. We'll see if they can do anything to change that this season.

If the OL can give him time, and if he can learn to make quicker decisions, he could have a decent year. I’m hopin’

My opinion is worth nothing but I really think if JG gets comfortable with an improved o line that will reasonably protect him, he'll dramatically improve his accuracy. JG strikes me as a streaky QB, as long as the play before was good the next will be better..confidence.

You are on the money. He really needs to feel confident to turn himself loose and let his talent come through.

So much is going to depend on the line this year. Watching the spring game, it shocked me when they dropped into I formation how these kids really had no idea how to do it.

Don't get me wrong, they ran the plays, but you could see their uneasiness with it. It was unnatural to them. The running backs really didn't understand how to follow the fullback, and the importance of hitting the hole fast and hard.

VN Store

Back