Guarantano "Erratic" at Manning Camp

I sense agitation ratcheting up around the qb situation. We really haven't learned anything we didn't know already. Let's see how August goes.

Of course you don’t....it’s pretty simple. On one hand, OP believes Detillier when he says Guarantano was erratic...”no doubt about it, Detillier is spot on, I knew it, that’s why Chryst is coming here”....

But wait a minute, Detillier gives his explanation on why JG was erratic....”no Detillier, that makes no sense, not buying it, JG just sucks”.

In fairness a good QB can judge the speed and athleticism of his receivers and adjust throws accordingly. So the OPs concerns are warranted. (If Garantano is working on a bunch of things that's probably the actual culprit)

Reactions: 1 person
He is going into his second year starting. He has a great arm and is working on the mental aspects. He is already an accurate ,big armed qb. Perfect for what the coaches want to do. He will be fine and has three more years to start. Nothing to worry about.

He has 2 more years to start after this year.

More quotes from the article
"When he was on, he was really impressive throwing the football.”

"Guarantano clearly impressed Detillier and others with his work ethic and focus, though, and his awareness of the improvements he needs to make in order to thrive in Tennessee’s new scheme under offensive coordinator Tyson Helton."

"Detillier said he expects Guarantano to grow into the position and continue improving if he stays on his current course."

JG has improved tremendously.

But the issue is, he was not a very good QB even when he was ranked at the nations #1 DT QB.

-he's not a natural "passer". He can throw well but that's one aspect of passing. And hes far to mechanical and only has/had one throwing speed. No variation in his throwing skill set. No touch whatsoever. Thats all I saw in his high school tape. And i still see that...

He WANTS to be a QB...but in his being...hes not. Not yet.

Chryst will win the job. And JG will probably transfer...
McBride will play next year and 2019...

Strongly disagree. Was certain that when I was reading “not a natural....” it was gonna end with “runner”. But not a natural passer?

Imho, hes absolutely a natural passer, and a very good, accurate one at that. His issues arent physical, they’re mental in understanding where to go with the ball and when not to take a multitude of bad sacks....he holds onto the ball too long and doesn’t throw the ball away. But when he turns it loose, it’s as natural as any qb I’ve seen.

Reactions: 2 people
Why the distinction? He potentially has 3 more years to start beginning with this season.
Its funny how he keeps trying to act like we already played this year and JG only has two more years. I guess he thinks Chyrst's eligibility is up then.

Its funny how he keeps trying to act like we already played this year and JG only has two more years. I guess he thinks Chyrst's eligibility is up then.

The way you stated was that Guarantano is going into his second year. Which isn't true. He is going into his 3rd year and has 2 years after his 3rd year to start. (3 years to start)

I'm the one being accurate.

In fairness a good QB can judge the speed and athleticism of his receivers and adjust throws accordingly. So the OPs concerns are warranted. (If Garantano is working on a bunch of things that's probably the actual culprit)

It was Detillier’s assessment. Not saying you’re wrong, I think you’re right. I’m only pointing out that the OP took the time to begin a thread clearly designed to criticize JG as erratic, and he was happy to cite Detillier’s opinion there and take his word and start a thread. But then when Detillier offered a reason as to why JG was erratic, all of a sudden he’s not buying Detillier’s word/opinion. Strikes me as a bit hypocritical.

Then throw in the positive things about his arm, talent, focus, work ethic which didn’t seem to register with OP.

Reactions: 4 people
It was Detillier’s assessment. Not saying you’re wrong, I think you’re right. I’m only pointing out that the OP took the time to begin a thread clearly designed to criticize JG as erratic, and he was happy to cite Detillier’s opinion there and take his word and start a thread. But then when Detillier offered a reason as to why JG was erratic, all of a sudden he’s not buying Detillier’s word/opinion. Strikes me as a bit hypocritical.

Then throw in the positive things about his arm, talent, focus, work ethic which didn’t seem to register with OP.

Agreed.

The way you stated was that Guarantano is going into his second year. Which isn't true. He is going into his 3rd year and has 2 years after his 3rd year to start. (3 years to start)

I'm the one being accurate.

He has three years to start. How is that not accurate?

So are you saying Chryst has no more years to start? :crazy:

I never said anything about, "after this year."

I sense agitation ratcheting up around the qb situation. We really haven't learned anything we didn't know already. Let's see how August goes.

Underrated point. They haven’t even PRACTICED together yet. VQ issued the belief that the coaches favored Chryst since he arrived...why. He doing curls like a mofo? :w00t:

And then you counter with Detillier’s assessment of Chryst as a “dink and dunk QB” and let the OP spin! :loco:

Originally Posted by KBVol View Post
So, you trust Detillier when he says Guarantano was “erratic”....so much so that you started this thread. But, when he gives the primary reason why he believes Guarantano was “erratic”, you’re “not buying it”. Alrighty then.

I'm not understanding what the issue with this is.

The issue is that KB wants to set the rules of the forum so that he can protect his golden boi Erratic Jarrett. lol

Reactions: 3 people
It'd be OK if he was a little erratic throwing the ball if he was a true dual threat QB. I know he was a true freshman last year and the offensive line was terrible, but he doesn't seem to be a dual threat to me. He moved in the pocket well, but not much elusiveness or speed once the play breaks down.

Redshirt Freshman

Originally Posted by KBVol View Post
So, you trust Detillier when he says Guarantano was “erratic”....so much so that you started this thread. But, when he gives the primary reason why he believes Guarantano was “erratic”, you’re “not buying it”. Alrighty then.

The issue is that KB wants to set the rules of the forum so that he can protect his golden boi Erratic Jarrett. lol

Not your brainiest rejoinder. “Golden boi” and the nickname comes across personal. :hmm:

Being "erratic" is more objective than the reasons why he may be being "erratic." It's also a way to soften the criticism so he doesn't look like a jerk.

It's not a flattering piece.[/QUOTE

let’s sum this article up:

-big arm, talented arm, inconsistent but working extremely hard to change that.

-has blown “hot and cold”, with a primary reason given of him not being familiar with receivers

-when he was on, he was really impressive throwing the ball

-Guarantano has impressed with his focus, work ethic and talent

-Guarantano is aware of the improvements he needs to make and is working hard

Guarantano ain’t perfect, we know that....he like pretty much all QBs are gonna get criticism. But I’m not seeing where this article is particularly unflattering. In fact, it’s factually correct to say it’s more positive on JG’s behalf than negative.

No QB at the camp, presumably, was familiar with the receivers. Were they all erratic as Guarantano? We don't know.

It was an observation. This interested fan base scrambled to make it into their own narrative. :lol:

A little salty...I like it. I still don't get the big deal, except you've decided he thinks JG sucks and that bothers you.

Just a little fairness and balance for a tough, talented kid who’s doing everything he can to improve and be the leader/starting quarterback for the Vols. That’s all I’m asking here. Balance “erratic” with all the good, positive things Detillier and others have to say about the kid. That’s all. And when there is no balance, like there wasn’t here and most any other thread where JG is mentioned I’m feeling a bit compelled to point it out. I don’t know how JG is gonna look this fall or if he’ll even beat a very average Keller Chryst out in August. But at this point, I’m so tired of seeing all the constant criticism of a kid who did some good things last year and who’s busting his ass right now, that I’m partially pulling for him just to shut up all the anti-JGers on VN.

Reactions: 7 people
He is going into his second year starting. He has a great arm and is working on the mental aspects. He is already an accurate ,big armed qb. Perfect for what the coaches want to do. He will be fine and has three more years to start. Nothing to worry about.

Well said Bro!

Just a little fairness and balance for a tough, talented kid who’s doing everything he can to improve and be the leader/starting quarterback for the Vols. That’s all I’m asking here. Balance “erratic” with all the good, positive things Detillier and others have to say about the kid. That’s all. And when there is no balance, like there wasn’t here and most any other thread where JG is mentioned I’m feeling a bit compelled to point it out. I don’t know how JG is gonna look this fall or if he’ll even beat a very average Keller Chryst out in August. But at this point, I’m so tired of seeing all the constant criticism of a kid who did some good things last year and who’s busting his ass right now, that I’m partially pulling for him just to shut up all the anti-JGers on VN.

I understand that perfectly.

No QB at the camp, presumably, was familiar with the receivers. Were they all erratic as Guarantano? We don't know.

Exactly, we don’t. Yet JG is evidently erratic now, not up to the job and Chryst is the guy. JG’s not impressive, focused, hard-working, strong-armed, none of that....by God he’s erratic and, probably, all the other guys at the Manning Pass Academy were all just sharp as tacks, every one of them....why, nery a football hit the ground from those other guys. JG stuck out like a sore thumb in all his erratic-ness I tell ya.

If you had actually listened to the interview, you would have heard Detillier say that he believes Guarantano is the starter day one

VN Store

Back