Gregg Doyel Tweet re: Gruden

No one at UT has access to a plane from Verizon. They are a sponsor with no personal connection to UT.

Yes, UT officials and coaches have access to several booster planes in addition to the one owned by UT. No, none of them are connected to our cell phone sponsor. Pilot has more than one and coaches frequently use them.

If you want to believe that UT or Hart somehow blew it on Gruden, that's your right. But you would be misinformed. By a lot.

I think there are definitely boosters out there that think it was some kind of money or control issue. But the real issue is he simply did not want to get back into coaching. Still doesn't.

Your first point isn't correct. They called him often asking him to jetset them places. Joan Cronin was the biggest abuser, along with hammy. Pearl used it to go play golf in Florida. Kiffin used it to fly back from a couple of games when the team was bussing back, including from lex ky. Just because its not official, doesn't mean they don't use it, and the owner foots the bill. He makes many millions so it is not even a dent.

And I'm with you on the gruden stuff. It was never close.

Then why has he not returned to coach anywhere?

The side of the equation I am on is fact, rather than overblown internet rumors and half-truths.

He has the ability to pick and choose where he wants to go. He's in a damn good spot.

And for the record, none of my info came from the interwebs. None. Zilch. Nada.

Reactions: 1 person
There were people here who regularly posted that just straight up lied and engaged in make believe like children ... that I HAD respect for ... until the truth about the whole Gruden thing fell apart ... let's stop the Gruden/UT discussion ... the guy gets enough publicity as it is, no need for us to blow him up larger ...

Your first point isn't correct. They called him often asking him to jetset them places. Joan Cronin was the biggest abuser, along with hammy. Pearl used it to go play golf in Florida. Kiffin used it to fly back from a couple of games when the team was bussing back, including from lex ky. Just because its not official, doesn't mean they don't use it, and the owner foots the bill. He makes many millions so it is not even a dent.

I know of a couple of planes that fit the description here, but none of them are tied to Verizon. You're thinking of another company.

I know of a couple of planes that fit the description here, but none of them are tied to Verizon. You're thinking of another company.

DP, I was there in '93 when the guy who now owns 300+ stores started with a kiosk at the east town mall with my dumbass in it trying to sell big ass phones to people with no credit. Brilliantly, I didn't think it would work. Now I'm working and he basically retired at age 30.
Now, maybe we are having a semantic difference. They are his planes and he is the main Verizon dealer in the area. Its C Sales, a Verizon dealer, and they used his planes all the time.

When you have as many chiefs as you do Indians, like in the UT structure, a lot of stuff that will make you scratch your head will occur. At no point, were big boosters and and our AD on the same page. It was a cluster from the start and both sides have their own share of the blame. However, the lot of it falls directly in Dave Hart's lap.

If you're right, then Tennessee would have the most toothless and flaccid big boosters in the country. Blame them, not the bureaucrat.

If you're right, then Tennessee would have the most toothless and flaccid big boosters in the country. Blame them, not the bureaucrat.

They share the blame. Again, if the majority of UT fans knew just how close this deal was, they would demand both sides to go jump in Norris Lake.

Now, maybe we are having a semantic difference. They are his planes and he is the main Verizon dealer in the area. Its C Sales, a Verizon dealer, and they used his planes all the time.

Yes, very much so, I was thinking about Verizon corporate. I don't think of CS as being Verizon because they're very different accounts. Verizon corporate doesn't provide any extra benefits for UT. He's a booster.

They share the blame. Again, if the majority of UT fans knew just how close this deal was, they would demand both sides to go jump in Norris Lake.

You sound like one of those OG's, and they all basically admitted that they were lying about everything they "knew." Although, I think one of them admitted that he had been given false information from an inside source that just flat lied to HIM. Are you sure your info didn't come from the same lying inside source(s)?

Let it go man. It's okay. No need to keep holding on to lies, embellishments and falsehoods. It's over. You're just embarrassing yourself at this point.

Reactions: 2 people
You sound like one of those OG's, and they all basically admitted that they were lying about everything they "knew." Although, I think one of them admitted that he had been given false information from an inside source that just flat lied to HIM. Are you sure your info didn't come from the same lying inside source(s)?

Smokescreen.

Yes, very much so, I was thinking about Verizon corporate. I don't think of CS as being Verizon because they're very different accounts. Verizon corporate doesn't provide any extra benefits for UT. He's a booster.

Yes and I feel like an idiot for ditching that. He bought his initial cell franchise for $1500 as a 7th year Sr. Sold phones for a bonus and bought it.

DP, I was there in '93 when the guy who now owns 300+ stores started with a kiosk at the east town mall with my dumbass in it trying to sell big ass phones to people with no credit. Brilliantly, I didn't think it would work. Now I'm working and he basically retired at age 30.

I don't have a dog in this fight, and I am enjoying the back and forth, but there is a huge difference between saying that you are flying in a jet owned by Ford Motor Company versus saying you are flying in a jet owned by a local Ford dealer. Obviously both have more money than I ever will, but the difference between the two sorts of entities is staggering on every level (staggering enough that they should never be confused even on a semantic level).

Last edited:
I don't have a dog in this fight, and I am enjoying the back and forth, but there is a huge difference between saying that you are flying in a jet owned by Ford Motor Company versus saying you are flying in a jet owned by a local Ford dealer. Obviously both have more money than I ever will, but the difference between the two sorts of entities is staggering on every level.

Doesn't really matter. He knows what I was talking about. The point was that more than haslams and uts planes are used and when its not UT's, its on the boosters dime. They don't write them an expense check. They get benefits in other ways, but not reimbursed.

When you have as many chiefs as you do Indians, like in the UT structure, a lot of stuff that will make you scratch your head will occur. At no point, were big boosters and and our AD on the same page. It was a cluster from the start and both sides have their own share of the blame. However, the lot of it falls directly in Dave Hart's lap.

NYgeFBY.gif

It's hilarious to read this revisionist history from all the folks whose "sources" were almost right.

I guess you can be just a little pregnant.

VN Store

Back