Gregg Doyel Tweet re: Gruden

my guess is that most of the truly elite head coaches that we wanted would have demanded that they answer to the UT system president via the AD and that any control the chancellor at Knoxville has over the football program be severed. That's pretty much how it was in the past and that's pretty much how it is now at the successful programs in the SEC. The UTK faculty got their noses under the tent through a combination of the academic scandal and Fulmer being in a weak bargaining position at the time. They did suspend the mandatory payoff thay the AD (read football program) was making to the academic side but there's no guarantee it won't come back. No other SEC school that I know of uses football revenue to fund academics. the Chancellor is beholden to the faculty senate and the average professor would rather have tenure and a raise than a winning football program. What they don't realize is that a winning football program will raise everyone's boat and they'd get theirs in the end anyway. Bottom line is we will never get one of these big name coaches so long as they have to bow and scrape to Cheek.

this x 1000

this is what I firmly believe the situation is at UT. This the the real reason we are in the mess we are in and several people have hinted at this the past year including Hart and Coach Phil Fulmer.
This is why Hart had to go around Cheek and go straight to the BOT.

"And suddenly, the OG's felt vindicated, as their lies accidentally had a smidgen of truth."

OG 4 Life!!! I am not going to lie I was hoping as much as anyone Gruden would coach here.

og-logo.jpg

If you think about it, if it was $6mill/yr that he wanted...why would we balk at that? At the time $4mill/yr was extremely high for Bama...but now, they would gladly pay him $8mill to stay.

We have always gone the cheap route, and I firmly believe that's what occurred in this case. Hart thought he could do nearly as good with another candidate for half that much. Guess we'll find out in the next few years.
Kind of a historical thing to do when hiring a Tennessee coach. Low bid gets it. Tennessee is a state school and low bid is the process. You pay for what you get. Your right we will know in a couple of years.

Kind of a historical thing to do when hiring a Tennessee coach. Low bid gets it. Tennessee is a state school and low bid is the process. You pay for what you get. Your right we will know in a couple of years.
Might want to check your facts

The athletics department at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, receives no state funding, and its budget is separate from the academic budget. No tax dollars are involved in the UT Knoxville athletics budget. The athletics department operates in a highly competitive environment and makes decisions in consideration of competition at the highest levels while maintaining profitability.

University of Tennessee | Frequently Asked Questions

the lack of knowledge in our fan base is mind boggling. The things people come up with.......:crazy:

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back