Gregg Doyel Tweet re: Gruden

if hart did reach out to him i would have much respect for settling on cbj at the last moment but based on harts past he does not want a coach in any sport to be bigger than him..

i say cheek n hart have no clue on what it takes to be champions..imo

bb will challenge hart again on where he wants us in college sports.:rock:

Reactions: 3 people
if hart did reach out to him i would have much respect for settling on cbj at the last moment but based on harts past he does not want a coach in any sport to be bigger than him..

i say cheek n hart have no clue on what it takes to be champions..imo

bb will challenge hart again on where he wants us in college sports.:rock:

When Hart "reached out" is when it went all to hell.

Reactions: 2 people
What is scarier than the Gruden rumor is that most believe that the magical coach would have come in to the train wreck program and made our players talented. With him just showing up..all the sudden whamo.. Worley dosen't throw into the dirt, recievers catch passes, our overall team speed doubles,etc. Dobbs all the sudden plays like a senior Peyton.
And Gruden would even get us to the top of recruiting
That whole deal was embarrassing on so many levels.

We have a lot of celebrity gaga fans who think the magical leader will suddenly appear and all will be right with the world. They are delusional.

Gruden would have been a disaster as he was in Tampa. He rode an inherited team to the Super Bowl and it went in the crapper shortly thereafter. Just ask the Buc fans about him. One of his downfalls is he didn't want to fool with developing young talent and stayed with vets who had past success, but were past their prime. This is not a prescription for developing a college football team.

He has a great job now and probably will not want to deal with 18 year olds to be successful. He was never coming here and I doubt if he will coach again unless he loses his cushy job.

Reactions: 2 people
personally, I hope the horns get him. I hate them that badly. overrated, over-hyped, and the biggest bust since ryan leaf. realistically, there's no chance. he's just a tease, raising his skirt whenever a top job comes open, stroking his ego and reminding himself that he's the greatest college coach who never was.

It. Was. Close.

Heard the same thing. Obviously there was interest there with the Coach's that were contacted and reported several times and even on Espn. Sounded like ultimately he wanted more control that UT was going to allow. I do commend them for that. Yea Saban is winning but he has complete control and runs all that in Tuscaloosa. Has them by the balls with that outrageous Salary and no buyout at all.

We have a lot of celebrity gaga fans who think the magical leader will suddenly appear and all will be right with the world. They are delusional.

Gruden would have been a disaster as he was in Tampa. He rode an inherited team to the Super Bowl and it went in the crapper shortly thereafter. Just ask the Buc fans about him. One of his downfalls is he didn't want to fool with developing young talent and stayed with vets who had past success, but were past their prime. This is not a prescription for developing a college football team.

He has a great job now and probably will not want to deal with 18 year olds to be successful. He was never coming here and I doubt if he will coach again unless he loses his cushy job.

Its a little different being an NFL Coach and a College Coach. Nfl you are at the mercy of owners and what they werewilling to spend. College you dictate what kind of players you want. I don't recall Tampa doing much after he left so I think it's more tTampa's fault than Grudens. Who knows what we would do as a college coach, absolutely nobody knows until he does coach a game. But yes even some espn guys said there was interest from Gruden, the possibility was definitely there or he wouldn't have sending out feelers for a possible staff. I love what we have in Coach Jones though and glad we have him.

I would love to see someone from the "It was gonna happen but Hart and Cheek went over the heads of the boosters at the last minute and effed it up" crowd explain why

- Hart was flying around on Big Jim Haslam's plane interviewing other coaches
- Hart and Big Jim Haslam were all smiles and happy faces at Butch Jones's introduction two days after Hart supposedly screwed the boosters
- Hart still has a job

I've never seen anything to suggest the narrative LWS told isn't the most likely one: ie., that Gruden's agent's demands were so ridiculous that no school would accept them, and that Haslam and the UT administration moved on. No deal without Jim Haslam involved could ever be "close."

Reactions: 4 people
People can believe whatever they want, but it was very close to being a reality.

I see no other explanation for what Dave Hart was doing for the 3 weeks before he even talked with anyone else about the job. There was a reason everything went quiet for those 3 weeks.

Someone tell Gruden he got the UT's mixed up, it's the orange one, not burnt orange that he needs to go to...

I see no other explanation for what Dave Hart was doing for the 3 weeks before he even talked with anyone else about the job. There was a reason everything went quiet for those 3 weeks.

Yeah, like the candidates were all coaching their current teams. Contact had been made with agents for several coaches.

The decision to move on from the last coach was made after the Mississippi State game.

A booster that had been in contact with Gruden during the post-Kiffin search reached out to him at that time. Said he wasn't interested in coaching in college, no matter the price. Makes around $7 million between ESPN and endorsements with Dick's, Coors and Hooters.

Hart reached out a few weeks later to verify what the booster had told him. Gruden thanked him for the call. His agent released a statement that Gruden was happy at ESPN. That was as far as it got.

Things went a lot farther than that with him in the post-Kiffin search.

VN Store

Back