Got any bold predictions?

Cameron Sutton has 11 interceptions to lead the SEC and is named First-Team All American. Vols go 6-6 and sign lots of 2017 and 2018 talented 4-stars.

I really think Worley is going to play very well this year. I believe we will see a turn around that will help show the potential of these young receivers. "What about the OL?" they said. One thing I liked about Worley last season is he never seemed to get rattled or panicked. With a new OL, its crucial he leads them with poise, regardless of how well his accuracy has been. Even though I think losing last year's OL is a bigger deal than most people admit I see a drastic improvement in the offense. :yahoo:

I like the secondary, but the defense overall is not going to improve. It will appear that way if the offense plays their part but I dont think so. Luckily it doesnt appear to be a pass happy (veteran QB) league and the secondary could help in a lot of ways.

Oklahoma beating Bama is way overhyped (look at their verall performance last year) but this is not going to be a close game. :cray:

Georgia is a loss but Mizzu is a win.

I'm glad UT opens with Georgia first, cuz I have no idea if I'm picking UT or UF :ermm:

I predict! PAIN! Clubber Lang style!:eek:k:

:loco::bash:

Tennesseeduke

No, not unrealistic. However anyone wanting Butch fired or saying he is on the hot seat if he only wins 5 isn't very realistic either. We are not going to fix the program by firing the current staff after 2 or 3 yrs.
It is not only realistic... it is NECESSARY for him to be on a hot seat. It isn't just a rule for UT football but for any successful organization. You don't achieve success by tolerating underperformance... much less by rewarding it. If you were going to keep a coach that failed to meet expectations... then why not just save the buy out money and keep Dooley?

The answer is EXACTLY the same as it will be for Jones if he fails to make a bowl again this fall- Direction, trajectory. You CANNOT afford to keep a coach at UT that isn't winning because it is impossible or very close to it to recruit out of state talent to a program that isn't winning.

Hopefully in a few months this is all moot and we're looking forward to a bowl and another solid recruiting class.

Sr/Jr talent > So/Fr
Which... still leaves 6 wins on the table.

This is not a difficult concept and not debatable IMO.
No. It really isn't.

Furthermore, UT MUST have a coach that coaches teams to play ABOVE the sum of their talent. The '15 class appears at this point to be on a trajectory to finish between 10-20in the nation and mid-pack in the SEC. That's still a good class and "good enough" if your coaching is outstanding. If you have a coach that only gets the number of wins that "talent" says he should get... or worse then that isn't CLOSE to being good enough.

When 2014 recruits are Jrs / Srs the results will tell the story.

If the "story" is competing for championships then you are right. If the "story" is coaching competently and making a bowl game when you face a schedule with at least 6 teams with less talent... then now is the time to show that.

Do you really, honestly believe that if they can't get 6 wins out of this season that they will flip a switch and suddenly become league dominating coaches when those kids are Jr/Sr? That's not the way it works.

Last edited:
It is not only realistic... it is NECESSARY for him to be on a hot seat. It isn't just a rule for UT football but for any successful organization. You don't achieve success by tolerating underperformance... much less by rewarding it. If you were going to keep a coach that failed to meet expectations... then why not just save the buy out money and keep Dooley?

The answer is EXACTLY the same as it will be for Jones if he fails to make a bowl again this fall- Direction, trajectory. You CANNOT afford to keep a coach at UT that isn't winning because it is impossible or very close to it to recruit out of state talent to a program that isn't winning.

Hopefully in a few months this is all moot and we're looking forward to a bowl and another solid recruiting class.

Which... still leaves 6 wins on the table.

No. It really isn't.

Furthermore, UT MUST have a coach that coaches teams to play ABOVE the sum of their talent. The '15 class appears at this point to be on a trajectory to finish between 10-12 in the nation and mid-pack in the SEC. That's still a good class and "good enough" if your coaching is outstanding. If you have a coach that only gets the number of wins that "talent" says he should get... or worse then that isn't CLOSE to being good enough.

If the "story" is competing for championships then you are right. If the "story" is coaching competently and making a bowl game when you face a schedule with at least 6 teams with less talent... then now is the time to show that.

Do you really, honestly believe that if they can't get 6 wins out of this season that they will flip a switch and suddenly become league dominating coaches when those kids are Jr/Sr? That's not the way it works.

I hope CBJ understands this, and doesn't try another Vandy game tactic.

Good post, OG. Though, think I would have titled it "2014 evaluation" rather than "bold predictions" :)

I agree on the offense.

Think losing the O-line is a bigger deal than many believe. Last year's O-line may have been overhyped, but they were still pretty good, and they didn't get a lot of help from other positions. Also give them credit: they mostly held up against South Carolina.

This year, the O-line will struggle at times, but Worley will be improved, and our WR corps will look much better. RB is a bit of a wild card, but I don't think we'll see too huge of a drop there, even if it hurts a bit to lose Neal.

My big concerns:

(1) How does the O-line hold up?
(2) Is the D-line able to get any pressure on the QB?
(3) Can the D-line stop the run this year?
(4) How much has our defensive speed improved? Can fast teams still beat us to the edge every single play?
(5) How good is our defensive coaching staff?

Even with inexperience and lack of depth on the O-line, I do think Butch & Co have proven themselves to be able offensive coaches. The jury is still out on the defensive side of the ball, but we should have more talent and depth at LB and Secondary than in '13. Theoretically, the D should be improved, but we'll have to wait and see.

I'm going with a 6-6 season and hoping for 7-5. I have no bold predictions, but wouldn't be shocked if we lose to Utah State and beat Oklahoma, or some other odd combination.

I do agree that Oklahoma is overrated based on one performance against Alabama last year. I'd love to see us pull an upset, but my concern is that our bug from last year (lack of team speed on defense) will come back to bite us again.

Still, I could see us pulling an upset or two. Worley might be the key: if he improves enough, maybe we can hang in a few games we have "no business winning" like we did last year vs UGA and USCe.

I would totally agree on the Oklahoma game. That game vs Alabama last year was a fluke. Alabama didnt even show up mentally that game. Plus 1 thing alot of people are forgetting is that is the best game Trevor Knight has ever played. He is known for being very inconsistent. I think they will take us lightly and we go in there and punch them in the mouth. I mean they have Lousianna Tech the game before us or some crap team. So they are going to look at us like a warm up game. We enter this game with nothing to lose. Expect a great game :rock2:

I predict Butch is that guy we hope he is and we finally beat someone besides SC, Vandy, or KY in the east. I won't try and predict which team but we'll beat someone. Also I predict a Cromptonesque (SR) year for Worley. He'll look ineffective at the start of the season but close with poise and good play.

I'll probably be wrong, but...

Looking at the recruiting class we'll likely finish with numbers wise (we currently aren't graduating enough players to take a full class), we'll either see a lot of transfers by February and/or we'll see some unexpected underclassmen declare for the draft.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few guys such as Maggit, Pearson, Randolph, Croom, or Pig take their talents to the NFL if they have really solid seasons.

:zeitung_lesen::question::question::question::no::no::no: CUZ MAMA SAID SO; GONNA STAY VFL UNTIL THE RIGHT TIME...5TH YR

Reactions: 1 person
I predict Butch is that guy we hope he is and we finally beat someone besides SC, Vandy, or KY in the east. I won't try and predict which team but we'll beat someone. Also I predict a Cromptonesque (SR) year for Worley. He'll look ineffective at the start of the season but close with poise and good play.

Looks good. I'm still hopeful for Jones. I think UF is still vulnerable. Richt always gives lesser teams a chance by playing down to them.

I predict Worley plays well out of the gate. He had his equivalent to JC's early season last year. Barring injury, I think his critics here en masse will change their screen names rather than face the heat of having been so stupid as to write him off.

Looks good. I'm still hopeful for Jones. I think UF is still vulnerable. Richt always gives lesser teams a chance by playing down to them.

I predict Worley plays well out of the gate. He had his equivalent to JC's early season last year. Barring injury, I think his critics here en masse will change their screen names rather than face the heat of having been so stupid as to write him off.

The main reason I am predicting he'll look ineffective early is really more about that entire offense getting comfortable with each other and him coming back from injury and shaking cob webs off. I hope you are right though.

The main reason I am predicting he'll look ineffective early is really more about that entire offense getting comfortable with each other and him coming back from injury and shaking cob webs off. I hope you are right though.

I could see that but the Manning Camp comments about his accuracy and confidence were VERY encouraging especially in light of the weapons at his disposal this fall. The talent UT has at WR is embarrassingly rich...

I also have a feeling that UT is going to have a field day vs USU's secondary.

Bold Predictions: Please Lord let Vols fans once again enjoy the Autumn with pride and enthusiasm, while not fearing a 4th consecutive losing season. The past 8-9 years have been.......well, not truly representative (not even a distant relative) of Tennessee football. Hoping and wishing to finish 2014 at 6-6, just to receive a minor bowl bid, is now the new reality.
I want to see the Vols win 10 games by 2017, please?

AJ Johnson wins the Heisman.

Tennessee runs the table and wins the championship.

Tennessee beats Bama 63-7.

We did say BOLD predictions right? 7-5 is not BOLD. My predictions are BOLD and slightly psychotic.

Wait! Why are we giv'n those bammers a touchdown?

We beat FL and beat one of South Carolina or Ole Miss. Marlin Lane ave 6.0 ypc. BOLDEST: Worley remains starter all year

We beat FL and beat one of South Carolina or Ole Miss. Marlin Lane ave 6.0 ypc. BOLDEST: Worley remains starter all year

That's by far and away NOT the boldest... the first part isn't as far-fetched as you might think.

VN Store

Back