Got any bold predictions?

We will win the east. Unfortunately we will have to wait till next year to win the SEC, but at least we take the east this year and go to a very good bowl game.

Whatever dude we will always care.

I honestly think we can challenge for East. I feel like the gap in talent between USCe and GA is narrower this year than last and we pushed both to edge last year (USCe over). Now if we can just get that Florida monkey off of our back. I don't think we'll win, but just to feel like we've got a shot...well, it feels REAL GOOD!

Hoping for 6-6 expecting 5-7 those are realistic expectations

So just to be clear your expectation is that Jones will once again lose to a team with less talent while this year he will fail to beat one with ostensibly more talent, correct?

A) I actually give Jones more credit than that.

B) A coach that does that is NOT the coach UT needs to turn things around.

Reactions: 2 people
AJ Johnson wins the Heisman.

Tennessee runs the table and wins the championship.

Tennessee beats Bama 63-7.

We did say BOLD predictions right? 7-5 is not BOLD. My predictions are BOLD and slightly psychotic.

Reactions: 2 people
AJ Johnson wins the Heisman.

Tennessee runs the table and wins the championship.

Tennessee beats Bama 63-7.

We did say BOLD predictions right? 7-5 is not BOLD. My predictions are BOLD and slightly psychotic.

You couldn't get much more bold and/or psychotic if you replaced the sugar sprinkled on your Wheaties with angel dust...

:)

Reactions: 1 person
I just don't think it is unrealistic that we can beat Florida and Georgia. I mean Georgia lost probably the one of the best if not the best quarterbacks they have ever had and had he not gotten injured he probably would have been a 2-3rd pick in the draft. Florida will really struggle to find any identity on offense and we are at home, I just feel like Florida is going to come up and going to get that a$$ stomped into the ground. GO VOLS!

I really think Worley is going to play very well this year. I believe we will see a turn around that will help show the potential of these young receivers. "What about the OL?" they said. One thing I liked about Worley last season is he never seemed to get rattled or panicked. With a new OL, its crucial he leads them with poise, regardless of how well his accuracy has been. Even though I think losing last year's OL is a bigger deal than most people admit I see a drastic improvement in the offense. :yahoo:

I like the secondary, but the defense overall is not going to improve. It will appear that way if the offense plays their part but I dont think so. Luckily it doesnt appear to be a pass happy (veteran QB) league and the secondary could help in a lot of ways.

Oklahoma beating Bama is way overhyped (look at their verall performance last year) but this is not going to be a close game. :cray:

Georgia is a loss but Mizzu is a win.

I'm glad UT opens with Georgia first, cuz I have no idea if I'm picking UT or UF :ermm:

Good post, OG. Though, think I would have titled it "2014 evaluation" rather than "bold predictions" :)

I agree on the offense.

Think losing the O-line is a bigger deal than many believe. Last year's O-line may have been overhyped, but they were still pretty good, and they didn't get a lot of help from other positions. Also give them credit: they mostly held up against South Carolina.

This year, the O-line will struggle at times, but Worley will be improved, and our WR corps will look much better. RB is a bit of a wild card, but I don't think we'll see too huge of a drop there, even if it hurts a bit to lose Neal.

My big concerns:

(1) How does the O-line hold up?
(2) Is the D-line able to get any pressure on the QB?
(3) Can the D-line stop the run this year?
(4) How much has our defensive speed improved? Can fast teams still beat us to the edge every single play?
(5) How good is our defensive coaching staff?

Even with inexperience and lack of depth on the O-line, I do think Butch & Co have proven themselves to be able offensive coaches. The jury is still out on the defensive side of the ball, but we should have more talent and depth at LB and Secondary than in '13. Theoretically, the D should be improved, but we'll have to wait and see.

I'm going with a 6-6 season and hoping for 7-5. I have no bold predictions, but wouldn't be shocked if we lose to Utah State and beat Oklahoma, or some other odd combination.

I do agree that Oklahoma is overrated based on one performance against Alabama last year. I'd love to see us pull an upset, but my concern is that our bug from last year (lack of team speed on defense) will come back to bite us again.

Still, I could see us pulling an upset or two. Worley might be the key: if he improves enough, maybe we can hang in a few games we have "no business winning" like we did last year vs UGA and USCe.

Last edited:
Dude bold very bold. If that happens all trolls will say, I've always known butch was the guy.

You can bet on that sir...

On a side note i would gladly suffer through weeks of lyers saying they always knew CBJ was the guy if we could get that many wins this year.

Six wins are unrealistic? Really?

No, not unrealistic. However anyone wanting Butch fired or saying he is on the hot seat if he only wins 5 isn't very realistic either. We are not going to fix the program by firing the current staff after 2 or 3 yrs.

Sr/Jr talent > So/Fr

This is not a difficult concept and not debatable IMO.

When 2014 recruits are Jrs / Srs the results will tell the story.

No, not unrealistic. However anyone wanting Butch fired or saying he is on the hot seat if he only wins 5 isn't very realistic either. We are not going to fix the program by firing the current staff after 2 or 3 yrs.

Sr/Jr talent > So/Fr

This is not a difficult concept and not debatable IMO.

When 2014 recruits are Jrs / Srs the results will tell the story.

This thread's concept is BOLD predictions. Not realistic predictions.

D-line is going to be disruptive. O-line holds their own. Our LBs and DBs make a huge impact. We beat Florida. We don't lose any games we shouldn't. Worley impresses. We win 7. We lose to SC, UGA, and Ole Miss... all by less than 10. SC game decided by a field goal.

I honestly think we can challenge for East. I feel like the gap in talent between USCe and GA is narrower this year than last and we pushed both to edge last year (USCe over). Now if we can just get that Florida monkey off of our back. I don't think we'll win, but just to feel like we've got a shot...well, it feels REAL GOOD!

Exactly how do you mean challenge? 8-4 likely puts the Vols 3 conference losses (if you predict an OU loss). Is that really enough? I'll be very surprised if either team loses more than 3 games. I think it will take 2 SEC loses to claim the title, and you dont want to get in a tie breaker.

I like the secondary, but the defense overall is not going to improve. It will appear that way if the offense plays their part but I dont think so. Luckily it doesnt appear to be a pass happy (veteran QB) league and the secondary could help in a lot of ways.

I actually believe the defense will be much improved. We may not see it early in the season but I believe as these guys play together we will see a big improvement as the season progresses. I think we get a much better pass rush off the edges, and I think we will be much better at edge containment with the speed we will have on D on the edges. A better pass rush will automatically take some of the pressure of the Dbacks, but we've definitely got more speed back there this season. Obviously, overall there will be a lot of growing pains across the board, but still I believe we will see consistently better play on D, and the D will be a pretty solid unit by the 2nd half of the season.

And I agree with you that I believe Worley will be much improved this season. A good receiving corps that runs proper routes and is where they are supposed to be when the throw is made will do wonders for his confidence.

Dude bold very bold. If that happens all trolls will say, I've always known butch was the guy.

I think most of the "trolls" believe Butch is the guy. We just won't go from 5-7 to 9-3 in one year with the extreme lack of depth we have.

Here are my BOLD predictions:

1. Vols Survive USU
2. Vols Surprise Spurrier
3. Vols put a hurtin' on Ark State, Mocs, Cats, Mizzou and Vandy

Exactly how do you mean challenge? 8-4 likely puts the Vols 3 conference losses (if you predict an OU loss). Is that really enough? I'll be very surprised if either team loses more than 3 games. I think it will take 2 SEC loses to claim the title, and you dont want to get in a tie breaker.

I mean, if we can shake the Florida streak this year and split USCe/Ga, we'll be in the hunt at the end of the season.

:peace2::peace2:I know i may get massacred for this but I will predict that you lose to Utah State...

But that you will beat Floriduh.

I say the new guys on the team reveal they have a few bugs to work out in the beginning alowing USU to steal one from you but by the time you play UF, UT will be a completely different team and much improved. :peace2:

VN Store

Back