Goodbye Oregon Football

Thank you. I have read the article you linked to. Whatever influence Lyles had on the recruiting process, he denies steering recruits to any program:

Mostly, he swears he never steered any player anywhere, let alone five-star Temple, Texas running back Lache Seastrunk to Oregon in 2010.

Scout Will Lyles: Villain or victim? - College Football - Rivals.com

What else does that leave in regard to his involvement with Oregon's recruiting process? Driving coaches around and scheduling meetings.

I guess you didn't read where I directly addressed the hand written letters. They suggest that Oregon did not think that what Lyles was doing for them was outside of the rules. Given the gray area that the rules leave, it doesn't seem odd to me.

Again, you may be right. Might not turn out well. I just don't think it's as clear cut as you think.

Does the Junior League run the Ducks Athletic Department? Handwritten thank you notes to people you pay? The check should have been thanks enough.

Allowing Newton to play as a way of appeasing the TV gods is certainly no guarantee Auburn isn't still in the crosshairs.

Just helps expose the NCAA for what they are. They absolutely have to do something in the Auburn case now. Eyes are upon them.

Good ol' LSUFreek
Quack_Attacked.gif

:rock::lolabove::eek:lol:
now this was epic

You guys may be right that the hammer is coming.

I'm not sure that it's as cut and dry as some of you think, though.

It's not against the rules to pay for helpful information from scouts. It's also not against the rules for a scout to give helpful information to athletes.

The area that could be a major violation is receiving help in the recruiting process. Lyles denies steering recruits for any program. The activities that could be seen as helping the recruiting process are "scheduling and driving coaches around to visits." However, if driving coaches around is a violation, wouldn't hiring a taxi during a recruiting trip also be a violation? What if a parent or even some random dude who happens to answer the phone at a recruits house schedules a HS meeting? Is that a violation also?

The rules don't make it very clear when an act goes from an ok service to one that is "part of" the recruiting process beyond what scouts are allowed to do.

Given Kelly's letter, Lyles appearing publicly with staff and recruits multiple times, etc. it suggests that Oregon thought it was working within the rules.

So, your idea is that he was a cheater by day, legit recruiting service by night? That's fanciful.

Oregon may have thought it was working within the rules, but CCK knew what he was doing.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I spoke with University of Oregon football coach Chip Kelly in early March, amid reports that a Texas man named Willie Lyles was involved in a recruiting scandal that could bring down the Ducks program.

Kelly told me he didn’t know who Willie Lyles was. I believed him.

That same evening, a Yahoo Sports story reported that Lyles was paid $25,000 by Oregon. So I texted Kelly, asking him why he lied to me, and we ended up on the telephone, where Kelly insisted I’d confused him by asking about “Willie Lyles.” He said, “around here, we call him ‘Will.’ We’ve already distanced ourselves from him, trust me.”

John Canzano
Reporter for the Oregonian

If Kelly thought there was nothing wrong with what he was doing, why did he have to lie about his association with Will Lyles?

Pretty classy thank you notes. Oregon cheats politely.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back