Goodbye Oregon Football

FYI Charles Robinson of Yahoo said he was working on two stories this summer. One was a 7/8 out of 10 in terms of severity the other was a 10.

This was the 7/8 story.

I'm sure y'all can figure out who the 10 is about ...
Can't there just be more than one 10?

Fulmer never built a program. He had one handed to him.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Lay off the man. Atleast he brought us a national championship. Not too many folks get to see one in their lifetime.

orgduckfan2.jpg

Lay off the man. Atleast he brought us a national championship. Not too many folks get to see one in their lifetime.

It is a fact and not an attack. The question was asked as to why Fulmer has not been sought for another major coaching opportunity.

Thank you. I have read the article you linked to. Whatever influence Lyles had on the recruiting process, he denies steering recruits to any program:

Scout Will Lyles: Villain or victim? - College Football - Rivals.com

What else does that leave in regard to his involvement with Oregon's recruiting process? Driving coaches around and scheduling meetings.

I guess you didn't read where I directly addressed the hand written letters. They suggest that Oregon did not think that what Lyles was doing for them was outside of the rules. Given the gray area that the rules leave, it doesn't seem odd to me.

Again, you may be right. Might not turn out well. I just don't think it's as clear cut as you think.

SI article:

But does it even matter? Oregon officials can no longer say with a straight face that Kelly's staff is doing things "the right way" when emails, phone records and a particularly damning handwritten note show how complicit they were in dealing with a man that allegedly did the following:
• Concocted a plan for James, then a high-school senior in Texarkana, Texas, to transfer to an Arkansas school for his final semester to avoid taking a standardized state test required for college eligibility. Afterward, Lyles said Kelly (then Oregon's offensive coordinator) praised the scheme as "a great idea."
• Served as Kelly's chaperone whenever he recruited in Houston, even arranging his high-school visits.
• Arranged for and accompanied several prospective recruits (including Oregon signee Dontae Williams) on a 2009 visit to the USC-Oregon game. Kelly sent a handwritten note afterward telling him "thanks for orchestrating everything and all your help with these guys."
• Contacted Oregon in January 2010, when it appeared Seastrunk's mother might not sign off on a letter of intent to Oregon, to find out how he could petition for a change of guardianship that would allow Seastrunk to substitute his grandmother's signature (which he did). Phone records show substantial contact between Lyles and Oregon staffers (including Kelly) during that time.

Read more: Chip Kelly clearly isn't doing things 'the right way' at Oregon - Stewart Mandel - SI.com

After Tressel, Penmanchip Kelly and the sh!t-storm that's inevitably going to hit Auburn, the NCAA better start taking care of bidness or the boys in D.C. are gonna come calling.
(that includes UT)

You guys may be right that the hammer is coming.

I'm not sure that it's as cut and dry as some of you think, though.

It's not against the rules to pay for helpful information from scouts. It's also not against the rules for a scout to give helpful information to athletes.

The area that could be a major violation is receiving help in the recruiting process. Lyles denies steering recruits for any program. The activities that could be seen as helping the recruiting process are "scheduling and driving coaches around to visits." However, if driving coaches around is a violation, wouldn't hiring a taxi during a recruiting trip also be a violation? What if a parent or even some random dude who happens to answer the phone at a recruits house schedules a HS meeting? Is that a violation also?

The rules don't make it very clear when an act goes from an ok service to one that is "part of" the recruiting process beyond what scouts are allowed to do.

Given Kelly's letter, Lyles appearing publicly with staff and recruits multiple times, etc. it suggests that Oregon thought it was working within the rules.

So, your idea is that he was a cheater by day, legit recruiting service by night? That's fanciful.

jesus kelly himself sent the guy letters thanking him for his help in planning the recruiting visits. that in and of itself is a major ncaa violation. there is no gray area here. And if kelly thought he wasn't doing anything wrong why orchestrate the coverup?

as for cal, we at least seem to have our ass covered and unlike oregon we didn't renew his recruiting service the year after he gave us the info we requested. Tedford isn't some drunk dumbass like kelly.

Last edited:
Can someone clarify where this ranks in terms of severity up against UNC's and tOSU's situations?

Can someone clarify where this ranks in terms of severity up against UNC's and tOSU's situations?

It's possibly direct payment by the head coach for players. It is worse than turning a blind eye to improper benefits from non AD employees. Kelly's alleged violation is much more serious. My 2¢.

I don't have time to wade through this thread right now so can someone tell me how we know those handwritten letters are real?

Would be pretty dumb to fake them. No upside

Perhaps I'm missing the point but I mean how do we know they are actually evidence against Oregon and not something some random person did and is saying they are from Chip Kelly?

Perhaps I'm missing the point but I mean how do we know they are actually evidence against Oregon and not something some random person did and is saying they are from Chip Kelly?

Are you saying that it could be the work of some eager Beavers?

VN Store

Back