GOAT QB Resumes - MY 5

If we're going to "punish" QBs for certain things, then objectively I think you'd have to say Dan Marino is the GOAT. I think he accomplished the most with the least to work with, in an era less friendly to QBs.

Well, one thing that you can "punish" Marino for is that he was playing from behind a lot more than Manning or Brady. For most QBs, that's not a good thing at all, but for great QBs it means they can pad stats. Kinda the opposite of Troy Aikman. His stats were modest because he had an awesome running game and played with leads.

Last edited:
Thanks I'm lazy. Lol That's kind of crazy. I know Montana had 4, though one was Young...then Dean, Lott and Rice. Bradshaw with about 63 I think. Lol

Dude, be glad you didn't look it up. MiamiDolphins.com wasn't working, the next two results were garbage, and then that janky source...

Well, one thing that you can "punish" Marino for is that he was playing from behind a lot more than Manning or Brady. For most QBs, that's not a good thing at all, but for great QBs it means they can pad stats. Kinda the opposite of Troy Aikman. His stats were modest because he had an awesome running game and played with leads.

While that's true, if someone's stats are low because they're being carried by a dominant run game, it doesn't make me think they're better than their stats.

While that's true, if someone's stats are low because they're being carried by a dominant run game, it doesn't make me think they're better than their stats.

Hmmm...I partially agree, but you don't think Aikman is better than his stats?

Troy Aikman's best year = 3400 and 23
Scott Mitchell = 4300 and 32

Hmmm...I partially agree, but you don't think Aikman is better than his stats?

Troy Aikman's best year = 3400 and 23
Scott Mitchell = 4300 and 32

Maybe a little. I don't think he's all that great and is certainly nowhere near the GOAT discussion.

Reactions: 1 person
Are you saying BB isn't the GOAT? Dude won 2 titles as a DC and 4 as an HC. Only 1 of those teams didn't have incredible D.

Brady isn't penalized. It's just a qualification. Yes, when evaluating Montana you have to consider he played with Rice and under Walsh. With Manning you have to consider he had great weapons but a carousel of coaches. With Brady you have to recognize he had a great coach and great D. Etc.

The argument could be made that Brady made BB the GOAT. Before Brady, he only had 1 winning season. So was he such a great coach before Brady? Or did Brady make him into what he is?

Joe Montana won 2 super bowls without Rice.

My list would be 1) Montana 2) Brady 3) Manning 4) Elway 5) Aikman

The argument could be made that Brady made BB the GOAT. Before Brady, he only had 1 winning season. So was he such a great coach before Brady? Or did Brady make him into what he is?

Joe Montana won 2 super bowls without Rice.

My list would be 1) Montana 2) Brady 3) Manning 4) Elway 5) Aikman

I think we got an echo in here.

He coached the Browns when he was green. Nobody wins there, and he almost went .500. I don't really think that should be held against him.

He's a defensive coach and Brady was little to do with his success there. BB has HC or DC on 6 SB winners, and the defense was elite on 5 of them, so I don't think you can give Brady any credit whatsoever for BB's coaching ability. He's a genius. A wizard. Whatever you want to call him. Brady helped him win, but he's the best coach ever.

Aikman was never an MVP or an AP All-Pro. If you're never one of the best QBs in the NFL, I don't know how someone can then turn around and claim you're one of the best of all time.

I think we got an echo in here.

He coached the Browns when he was green. Nobody wins there, and he almost went .500. I don't really think that should be held against him.

He's a defensive coach and Brady was little to do with his success there. BB has HC or DC on 6 SB winners, and the defense was elite on 5 of them, so I don't think you can give Brady any credit whatsoever for BB's coaching ability. He's a genius. A wizard. Whatever you want to call him. Brady helped him win, but he's the best coach ever.

BB was definitely the reason why the Pats beat the Seahawks. I mean it had nothing to do with Brady absolutely shredding the best defense in the league in the 4th quarter. Nah it was all BB.

No offence but your post is just plain ignorant Brady hate. Yet another example of how Vol fans cannot give one of the greatest QBs to ever play the credit he deserves. If Peyon had all these elite defenses, you would probably give him all the credit. Yet because its Brady, nah it wasnt because of him, its all the coach.

Reactions: 3 people
No offence but your post is just plain ignorant Brady hate. Yet another example of how Vol fans cannot give one of the greatest QBs to ever play the credit he deserves. If Peyon had all these elite defenses, you would probably give him all the credit. Yet because its Brady, nah it wasnt because of him, its all the coach.

It's definitely a jealousy issue.

BB was definitely the reason why the Pats beat the Seahawks. I mean it had nothing to do with Brady absolutely shredding the best defense in the league in the 4th quarter. Nah it was all BB.

This is a response to nothing that I said. I mentioned 6 SBs and this is the 1 without elite D. Cool man. You wasted our time.

What are you talking about? BB praise is Brady hate? I got Brady in my top 5. I haven't said one bad thing about him. He's amazing. I think you read about 5% of each post and then just spout off.

i hate Brady. he's a cheating cry baby that has benefited from one of the most stable coaching staffs, defenses and scouting departments in maybe the history of the NFL. and they've benefited greatly from playing in what is arguably the most mediocre division in all of football over the last 15 years. it's like they've sucked on purpose. the Jets and Bills best answer to Bill Belicek is Rex Ryan? Really?

and the mf'r is still one of the top 2-3 qb's ever. you could argue him or Montana 1/2, manning/elway 3/4 and then after that take your pick.

did i mention that i hate brady? can't stand him. i'll put him behind Montana just out of spite.

i hate Brady. he's a cheating cry baby that has benefited from one of the most stable coaching staffs, defenses and scouting departments in maybe the history of the NFL. and they've benefited greatly from playing in what is arguably the most mediocre division in all of football over the last 15 years. it's like they've sucked on purpose. the Jets and Bills best answer to Bill Belicek is Rex Ryan? Really?

and the mf'r is still one of the top 2-3 qb's ever. you could argue him or Montana 1/2, manning/elway 3/4 and then after that take your pick.

did i mention that i hate brady? can't stand him. i'll put him behind Montana just out of spite.

This is an honest answer. Kudos.

Favre being below Marino on any list is a damn travesty.

I was beginning to wonder if even Packers fans would put Favre in the top 5.

Marino is so much better than Favre, IMO.

7.4 YPA vs 7.1
3.0 INT% vs 3.3 (and Favre fumbled a lot more)
3.1 SK% vs 4.9
254 YPG vs 238
59.4 CMP% vs 62.0

And Favre played in a more pass friendly era with better weapons

Last edited:
I'll admit my list is bias but at the same time, not out of the realm of totally bias. Just getting that out of the way because Tom Brady is a turd sandwich that won't be on the list. He can take his shenanigans elsewhere and go spy through some other person's gate if you know what I mean. I don't know what I mean so neither do you. So...

1a. Joe Montana.
1b. Peyton Manning
3. Dan Marino
4. Steve Young
5. Drew Brees

I was beginning to wonder if even Packers fans would put Favre in the top 5.

Marino is so much better than Favre, IMO.

7.4 YPA vs 7.1
3.0 INT% vs 3.3 (and Favre fumbled a lot more)
3.1 SK% vs 4.9
254 YPG vs 238
59.4 CMP% vs 62.0

And Favre played in a more pass friendly era with better weapons

yeah but Marino was prick. and he only went to one super bowl. that makes him better than Dan Fouts and Warren Moon.

seriously though, Marino from a skill standpoint was as good as anyone you put on the list. his problem that kept him and the team back is that everything had to revolve around him. he never ever got to the point where he could manage the game and rely on a defense and running game like Manning just did and Elway did at the end.

put Marino in the top 10, sure, i see that. but no way top 5. Rings do have to matter for something.

Just my .02, but I don't remember a qb better at calling a play, coming to the line, realizing they are about to run a play that won't end well, and then changing it on the audible. To be fair to the others, like Brady who is great in his own right, I never watched a lot of them with too much regularity, so I'm probably biased. Well, I know I am :)

I'll admit my list is bias but at the same time, not out of the realm of totally bias. Just getting that out of the way because Tom Brady is a turd sandwich that won't be on the list. He can take his shenanigans elsewhere and go spy through some other person's gate if you know what I mean. I don't know what I mean so neither do you. So...

1a. Joe Montana.
1b. Peyton Manning
3. Dan Marino
4. Steve Young
5. Drew Brees

Even without Brady, I wouldn't put Brees anywhere close to that high. I'd even take Aaron Rodgers over him

VN Store

Back