Glory Johnson talks about Dean Lockwood impact

Coach J is certainly not guilty of slander. And, in all probability, not guilty of libel either.
Slander- legal definition =
oral defamation, in which someone tells one or more persons an untruth about another which untruth will harm the reputation of the person defamed. Slander is a civil wrong (tort) and can be the basis for a lawsuit.
Slander = oral
Libel = written

He may not have slandered her, but he has bad mouthed her plenty on this site and that is what 1908 meant. Given how much he has criticized HW and staff in the past, why would he think she would want her player to work out with him?

Reactions: 5 people
who hasn't bad mouthed the coaches on here? When you take the reins of the best team in the country and lead it in a downward spiral, you get what you deserve.

Reactions: 3 people
who hasn't bad mouthed the coaches on here? When you take the reins of the best team in the country and lead it in a downward spiral, you get what you deserve.

That is NOT the point. The point that was being made was why would any coach want someone who had badmouthed them working with their player?

THAT was the point... but hate on, gule.

Reactions: 7 people
That is NOT the point. The point that was being made was why would any coach want someone who had badmouthed them working with their player?

Thank you for clearing that up TVol! I thought it was quite clear what the premise of my post was. I'm glad you understood.

Reactions: 2 people
I have a hard time believing any top HS recruit that accepts a scholarship to a premier program isn't motivated by being the best player they can be. Maybe Andraya would have had different priorities had she been healthy, but even players like Burdick who had very diverse aspirations outside of basketball put in extra time at the gym.

If Tennessee is recruiting players that are interested in just putting in the minimum required effort so they can get a free ride to pursue other interests, then I'd say that's a problem.

Let's go a back a bit. This subtopic of this thread began with another poster noting that some LVs did not seem to develop their potential as much as others and then another poster noted that some players, like Parker seemed to put in more work, than their other teammates. Beyond this thread, we can also go back to laments over the last several seasons from the LV coaching staff that players were not taking advantage of the practice gym and doing extra work. That is a REAL thing; not something I made up and it is a problem that has been a part of the program whether or not you can believe it.

In this thread, a suggestion was made that player's lack of extra effort was due to a lack of "maturity" and I offered a counter explanation that sometimes players are content with being "good enough" (which may mean that they work had in team practices but may not do much outside the team structure). And let's be clear, the commitments of just meeting team requirements-- practice, weight training, and film--is significant. These players also have to find study and some may want a social life or, in some cases, engage in other extracurricular activities--like community service. Players have to sacrifice social relationships and just having down time to go to a movie or something to fit in those extra gym hours. Those can be tough choices, most particularly if you don't envision yourself competing after college [I have a son who is a very committed college player and I am an ex-collegiate runner myself so I kinda know how this goes.]

Players can have lots of different motivations and rationales for why they do or don't invest more time and energy into their basketball careers and it is not always about their maturity level. That is all I was saying.

Last edited:
Thank you for clearing that up TVol! I thought it was quite clear what the premise of my post was. I'm glad you understood.

You're welcome. I think it was a very valid point. I don't know of any coach who would welcome that.

I'll answer that. Because I want the best staff that I can get to teach my girls. I don't want to staff that loves me and that I love and we,re all happy and Giddy and go out and have drinks and no., no I want to people on my staff who bring out the best in me the most competitive side of me and instill the most competitive side of my girls and can teach my girls the best. If I can't learn to get along with and work with some body I don't necessarily enjoy being around. Then how can I teach my girls to be able to work with and play with somebody they don't like.

Last edited:
I'll answer that. Because I want the best staff that I can get to teach my girls. I don't want to staff that loves me and that I love and we,re all happy and Giddy and go out and have drinks and no., no I want to people on my staff who bring out the best in me the most competitive side of me and instill the most competitive side of my girls and can teach my girls the best. If I can't learn to get along with and work with some body I don't necessarily enjoy being around. Then how can I teach my girls to be able to work with and play with somebody they don't like.

You have got to be kidding me.

Reactions: 4 people
Seriously? After all of the recent interpersonal issues with this team, why would the head coach want to bring in someone who bad mouths the coaching staff to the players? SMH at the complete lack of insight here.

Reactions: 5 people
Seriously? After all of the recent interpersonal issues with this team, why would the head coach want to bring in someone who bad mouths the coaching staff to the players? SMH at the complete lack of insight here.

Not a lack of insight. What works for Holly wouldn't work for me. And vice versa. I have to have that Alpha girl that that broad personality. That show off kids like that I excel in coaching. For Holly it's a totally different scenario. Holly needs stability needs everything to be under her total control and guidance. Me I use what's around me and I don't have to like it to use it. I believe I truly believe that Holly needs to have people around her that see her vision and understand her vision and are totally okay with having a program that is totally her vision.

lemmings die together

Yes, gule, they do...But they also excel together. Alone they are even more defenseless.

Tvol, Frozen, Nobackboard,,,gule,,,if anyone waants to continue this topic, I am all go...Nut not here...we have hijacked this thread enough. I have a " Coach Jumper This Year" thread open, if you want o continue this subject, start it up over there please.

Beyond this thread, we can also go back to laments over the last several seasons from the LV coaching staff that players were not taking advantage of the practice gym and doing extra work. That is a REAL thing; not something I made up and it is a problem that has been a part of the program whether or not you can believe it.

So if you are a coach, and you are recruiting a lot of players that are not interested in doing extra work outside of practice, then that is a problem. You are recruiting the wrong caliber of players. These girls are being recruited first and foremost to enhance the basketball program, not so they can pursue off the court interests.

In this thread, a suggestion was made that player's lack of extra effort was due to a lack of "maturity" and I offered a counter explanation that sometimes players are content with being "good enough" (which may mean that they work had in team practices but may not do much outside the team structure). And let's be clear, the commitments of just meeting team requirements-- practice, weight training, and film--is significant. These players also have to find study and some may want a social life or, in some cases, engage in other extracurricular activities--like community service. Players have to sacrifice social relationships and just having down time to go to a movie or something to fit in those extra gym hours. Those can be tough choices, most particularly if you don't envision yourself competing after college

While this is true, as I previously stated, these girls are being recruited because they are believed to be a high enough caliber that they can improve the basketball team. If they are not committed to being the best player they can be, then the staff is going after the wrong kind of players. There are plenty of players who have excelled on and off the court because they were willing to put in the work required for both. I'd rather Tennessee look elsewhere if they are getting a bunch of players that aren't that committed to basketball. Even if they are a bench warmer like Kamera Harris, I'd hope that she has enough pride that she'd want to give it her best shot to move up the rotation and not just settle for garbage minutes because she doesn't think she's pro material.

Players can have lots of different motivations and rationales for why they do or don't invest more time and energy into their basketball careers and it is not always about their maturity level. That is all I was saying.

You can have people that are immature, are lazy, or are not committed to basketball. None of these are traits that one would think a coach of a high profile team would be interested in. If there is a problem on the team with having a bunch of players that aren't interested in putting in extra time in the gym to get better, then Tennessee is recruiting the wrong players...and it's showing in the downward trajectory of the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Johnson was a head case and on the worst underperforming team in Pat's history. Everyone of the girls should be ashamed to show their faces on campus. They were likely the most talented group in the country and played like ****.

Reactions: 1 person
You can have people that are immature, are lazy, or are not committed to basketball. None of these are traits that one would think a coach of a high profile team would be interested in. If there is a problem on the team with having a bunch of players that aren't interested in putting in extra time in the gym to get better, then Tennessee is recruiting the wrong players...and it's showing in the downward trajectory of the program.

And there are other undesirable traits too like being self-centered, not a team player, or having a difficult personality. If CHW passed up any highly ranked players, a NFOY for example, who'd made it known they wanted to come to Tenn, because of any of the reasons in this discussion, the fans would have a meltdown and start another Fahr Holly chant. We can't have it both ways.

Johnson was a head case and on the worst underperforming team in Pat's history. Everyone of the girls should be ashamed to show their faces on campus. They were likely the most talented group in the country and played like ****.

This is an idiotic comment.

Reactions: 3 people

I don't think ur a fan at all, or have ever watched vols played when Johnson was there. Talk through ur mouth not through ur noise.

VN Store

Back