Glory Johnson talks about Dean Lockwood impact

I would have thought Coach Summitt would get the cred for that, since she was responsible for how Johnson was coached. Now that she is gone, where is Dean's All Americans?

So is your point that he didn't help Glory Jonhnson achieve what she did athletically in college or he hasn't had any all-Americans since her? Coach Summit gets all the credit in the world from me but as you can clearly read the title is talking about the impact Dean Lockwood had on her. If your point is that he hasn't had any all Americans since her then I'm going to be truly disappointed that the king of pointing out semantics and errors didn't follow the title of the thread. Maybe you should stop playing spell check and actually pay attention to what the thread is about.

Reactions: 2 people
okay momma Dean.

my point is, he was good while Pat was overseeing the program. Now, he has not shown much.

Bahsara and Johnson were actually more opposite than similar.

Glory Johnson was one of the most gifted athlete's to put on a Tennessee Lady Vol uniform. Glory was a 7x Tennessee track champion. Johnson's athletic ability (fastest, strongest, highest jumper) allowed her to not have to have so many offensive weapons because she could just out hustle her opponent.

Graves was thicker, not has fast, and couldn't jump as high, but she was tougher than most of her opponents. Because she lacked the athletic ability, her offensive ability came from her strength and post moves. She had to compensate, unlike Johnson, her offense and that is why she was so successful her first two years. I think her problem was teams caught on and watched tape. I don't think Graves got worse, Graves maxed out her potential (which is great), but teams just adjusted to her.

Johnson had to develop her offense, Graves had to develop her athletic ability. Coach's can develop offense, but can't develop athletic ability. That falls on the player and athletic personal.

Back to the topic ....
Johnson is a starter and a double double machine in the WNBA right now, she is completely right to thank Dean for her work and her development of her offensive skills.

I think you are spot on. Glory was the proverbial freak of nature. Maybe Graves could best Glory in a bench press dual but that would have been the only athletic area where she had an advantage.

Whereas Glory could jump over or blow by her opponents, Graves had fewer options and I agree, teams figured out how to guard her.

Reactions: 1 person
They are kids. They're 18 to 22 year old kids. It is up to the coaches to help them experience progression if you leave it up to the kids you're right it ain't going to happen. It is up to the coaches.... if it was all about the kids maturity level and nothing else, then how do you explain the kids that geno gets ... are they'
all just that much more mature than the kids we get?

Jumper, I'm not saying that coaching isn't important. I'm saying that some kids aren't mature enough to recognize that they NEED coaching and would be much better than they already naturally are if they would put in extra work on their own.

The light bulb switches on much later for some kids than it does for others. For instance, Candace Parker came to UT with a mature mindset and was always the first at practice and the last to leave. She worked her tail off on her own time, too. That was apparently not the case for a certain natural athlete from Knoxville.

Jumper, I'm not saying that coaching isn't important. I'm saying that some kids aren't mature enough to recognize that they NEED coaching and would be much better than they already naturally are if they would put in extra work on their own.

The light bulb switches on much later for some kids than it does for others. For instance, Candace Parker came to UT with a mature mindset and was always the first at practice and the last to leave. She worked her tail off on her own time, too. That was apparently not the case for a certain natural athlete from Knoxville.

I think the dynamic you are describing is not really about "maturity." It really is more about how focused the athlete is on maximizing her potential as a player. Some kids are content to be "good enough" to get a scholarship or get playing time and divide their efforts across other interests, maybe social or maybe academic or like Draya Carter--community service. Not everyone is willing to devote themselves to being gym rats. I think coaching can push an athlete to work harder than she might on her own but there are still limits that are set by drive and desire around basketball oriented goals.

I think the dynamic you are describing is not really about "maturity." It really is more about how focused the athlete is on maximizing her potential as a player. Some kids are content to be "good enough" to get a scholarship or get playing time and divide their efforts across other interests, maybe social or maybe academic or like Draya Carter--community service. Not everyone is willing to devote themselves to being gym rats. I think coaching can push an athlete to work harder than she might on her own but there are still limits that are set by drive and desire around basketball oriented goals.

There is a perfect example on the team right now. Meme. She wanted to grow.

Meme's mom told me that Meme worked on her game by herself at church and school gyms for hours and hours. Often ignored by the boys there, she would just work on her own. . . But now Meme is a collegiate athlete at one of the most prestigious programs in the country. Arguably, THE most....At some point she reaches what she can learn on her own. . . You can't fault her for that.

She requested an off-campus coach for the summer last year. She was denied and her game didn't improve, even with unlimited playing time in front of her, she failed to capture it. Meme didn't work her butt off to become a politician. She wanted to play BB for the U of T Lady Vols.

Now, it is up to the coaches to help her reach that goal and dream.

Sorry, madtown, but if you think the girls come to this university to study first and represent on the court second,,,you might be earning your name.

Meme's mom told me that Meme worked on her game by herself at church and school gyms for hours and hours. Often ignored by the boys there, she would just work on her own. . . But now Meme is a collegiate athlete at one of the most prestigious programs in the country. Arguably, THE most....At some point she reaches what she can learn on her own. . . You can't fault her for that.

She requested an off-campus coach for the summer last year. She was denied and her game didn't improve, even with unlimited playing time in front of her, she failed to capture it. Meme didn't work her butt off to become a politician. She wanted to play BB for the U of T Lady Vols.

Sorry, madtown, but if you think the girls come to this university to study first and represent on the court second,,,you might be earning your name.

This sounds fishy! How can a coach tell a player who she can and cannot workout with during her Summer?!?? I don't think Holly would deny her players the opportunity to grow and expand their game if that's what they really wanted to do.

IF she did indeed deny her, which I don't think was the case, I don't blame her if she knew the workout would be with you. You basically slandered Holly and the coaching staff at one point on this board. You even said Holly knew about it, so why would you think Holly would want one of her players to be surrounded by such negatively that could possibly hurt the chemistry between coach and player?

Reactions: 8 people
this sounds fishy! How can a coach tell a player who she can and cannot workout with during her summer?!?? I don't think holly would deny her players the opportunity to grow and expand their game if that's what they really wanted to do.

If she did indeed deny her, which i don't think was the case, i don't blame her if she knew the workout would be with you. You basically slandered holly and the coaching staff at one point on this board. You even said holly knew about it, so why would you think holly would want one of her players to be surrounded by such negatively that could possibly hurt the chemistry between coach and player?

🤔🤐

this sounds fishy! How can a coach tell a player who she can and cannot workout with during her summer?!?? I don't think holly would deny her players the opportunity to grow and expand their game if that's what they really wanted to do.

If she did indeed deny her, which i don't think was the case, i don't blame her if she knew the workout would be with you. You basically slandered holly and the coaching staff at one point on this board. You even said holly knew about it, so why would you think holly would want one of her players to be surrounded by such negatively that could possibly hurt the chemistry between coach and player?

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

This sounds fishy! How can a coach tell a player who she can and cannot workout with during her Summer?!?? I don't think Holly would deny her players the opportunity to grow and expand their game if that's what they really wanted to do.

IF she did indeed deny her, which I don't think was the case, I don't blame her if she knew the workout would be with you. You basically slandered Holly and the coaching staff at one point on this board. You even said Holly knew about it, so why would you think Holly would want one of her players to be surrounded by such negatively that could possibly hurt the chemistry between coach and player?

Fishy or not it happened. And I'm not sure what you speak of when you say I slandered anybody on this website I've never slandered anybody.

Nor do I accept that the players and the team has gone dramatically forward until this season. I've said several times on this season that this season is lining up to be a perfect storm for Holly. And I hope it is.

What is your point (other than a subtle whine about Holly not letting you coach her players)?

So, you are saying that players don't have different levels of motivation when it comes to their athletic goals because...Meme?

Coach J is certainly not guilty of slander. And, in all probability, not guilty of libel either.
Slander- legal definition =
oral defamation, in which someone tells one or more persons an untruth about another which untruth will harm the reputation of the person defamed. Slander is a civil wrong (tort) and can be the basis for a lawsuit.
Slander = oral
Libel = written

So, you are saying that players don't have different levels of motivation when it comes to their athletic goals because...Meme?

I have a hard time believing any top HS recruit that accepts a scholarship to a premier program isn't motivated by being the best player they can be. Maybe Andraya would have had different priorities had she been healthy, but even players like Burdick who had very diverse aspirations outside of basketball put in extra time at the gym.

If Tennessee is recruiting players that are interested in just putting in the minimum required effort so they can get a free ride to pursue other interests, then I'd say that's a problem.

Coach J is certainly not guilty of slander. And, in all probability, not guilty of libel either.
Slander- legal definition =
oral defamation, in which someone tells one or more persons an untruth about another which untruth will harm the reputation of the person defamed. Slander is a civil wrong (tort) and can be the basis for a lawsuit.
Slander = oral
Libel = written
Thank you very much for that.

What is your point (other than a subtle whine about Holly not letting you coach her players)?

Of course players have different levels of motivation. They also have different levels of talent. Different levels of heart. Different levels of intellect.

Just as coaches have different levels of ability to get the best out of each athlete in each of those areas. Meme Jackson is an ungodly Talent she's she's a physical specimen may be the strongest and fastest on the entire team. She was motivated before she got here so why would she have no motivation now.

Last edited:
Of course players have different levels of motivation. They also have different levels of talent. Different levels of heart. Different levels of intellect.

Just as coaches have different levels of ability to get the best out of each athlete in each of those areas. Meme Jackson is an ungodly Talent she's she's a physical specimen may be the strongest and fastest on the entire team. She was motivated before she got here so why would she have no motivation now.

Are you saying MeMe is unmotivated?

Are you saying MeMe is unmotivated?

No what I'm saying is I believe Mimi is at the end of what she can teach herself. And if her game is going to advance from the point it's at right now it's going to have to be done so by by another influence preferably a coach. And it shouldn't matter which coach as long as it coach is capable of doing a good job. And I am more than capable of doing a good job!

No what I'm saying is I believe Mimi is at the end of what she can teach herself. And if her game is going to advance from the point it's at right now it's going to have to be done so by by another influence preferably a coach. And it shouldn't matter which coach as long as it coach is capable of doing a good job. And I am more than capable of doing a good job!

Do you believe the current Lady Vol coaching staff has the ability to advance MeMe's game?

Do you believe the current Lady Vol coaching staff has the ability to advance MeMe's game?

I hope so. The new staff I have yet to see what they can really do because last year was sharona's first year and this year is Bridget's in this year year so there's no way of knowing what those two are going to bring to the mix as far as the coaching aspect. But I certainly hope that someone is work with that child because she deserves it she asked for it she needs it she's a hell of an athlete who should have been closer to the diamonds ability at this point then where she was when she initially got here

I hope so. The new staff I have yet to see what they can really do because last year was sharona's first year and this year is Bridget's in this year year so there's no way of knowing what those two are going to bring to the mix as far as the coaching aspect. But I certainly hope that someone is work with that child because she deserves it she asked for it she needs it she's a hell of an athlete who should have been closer to the diamonds ability at this point then where she was when she initially got here

Well, as you have stated, this season should tell us all if our players have improved.

Judging from USA, Jaime and Mercedes have already improved.

Well, as you have stated, this season should tell us all if our players have improved.

Judging from USA, Jaime and Mercedes have already improved.

I stand by that statement.
I am very optimistic about this season.
This is Holly's season.
Everything about this year is going in the direction of her.

No injuries (that we know of except the unknown re KD)...No players in the news...The number one recruiting class...The veteran players returning are established. 2 Of them got high marks in the U23 games...A hand-picked staff...It's got all the bookmarks of turning the corner (And staying turned).

I hope it happens.
If I feel my girls are being well taught and well coached,, I can put my efforts to other things...I have a pretty good venture going right now in fact. I have worked with a rising 7th grader for the last two months. Twice a week, 2 hours per. We will workout at least two more weeks and possibly right up to tryouts.

Right now he (yes,"he"), Surprised me too. In 35 years of coaching I have only coached girls. Except for helping out an UPWARDS program with 10 yr old boys, this is only the second male-BB influence I have worked with...He is totally unknown. On no ones' charts. . . 12 yrs old. Small hands. Average height (5'5"), Caucasian... But watch out.
We have worked hard...
He shoots a three at about 30+%...Shoots his jumper from the temple, not the chest...Can do a runner-finger-roll/scoop shot, reverse layup...Can pass from any angle...Can initiate contact on his drives (and looks forward to it). And can handle two basketballs quite with ease. The kid's got a great work ethic. And when we scrimmage against gym-rats at open gyms, he uses what he was taught as soon as he gets the chance. His dream is to play for UK.

Next year's even better. I have a corporate sponsor paying expenses for an AAU team.

It's on!
:hi:

I stand by that statement.
I am very optimistic about this season.
This is Holly's season.
Everything about this year is going in the direction of her.

No injuries (that we know of except the unknown re KD)...No players in the news...The number one recruiting class...The veteran players returning are established. 2 Of them got high marks in the U23 games...A hand-picked staff...It's got all the bookmarks of turning the corner (And staying turned).

I hope it happens.
If I feel my girls are being well taught and well coached,, I can put my efforts to other things...I have a pretty good venture going right now in fact. I have worked with a rising 7th grader for the last two months. Twice a week, 2 hours per. We will workout at least two more weeks and possibly right up to tryouts.

Right now he (yes,"he"), Surprised me too. In 35 years of coaching I have only coached girls. Except for helping out an UPWARDS program with 10 yr old boys, this is only the second male-BB influence I have worked with...He is totally unknown. On no ones' charts. . . 12 yrs old. Small hands. Average height (5'5"), Caucasian... But watch out.
We have worked hard...
He shoots a three at about 30+%...Shoots his jumper from the temple, not the chest...Can do a runner-finger-roll/scoop shot, reverse layup...Can pass from any angle...Can initiate contact on his drives (and looks forward to it). And can handle two basketballs quite with ease. The kid's got a great work ethic. And when we scrimmage against gym-rats at open gyms, he uses what he was taught as soon as he gets the chance. His dream is to play for UK.

Next year's even better. I have a corporate sponsor paying expenses for an AAU team.

It's on!
:hi:

Why did you note that he's Caucasian?

VN Store

Back