Give the Ladies Credit Because It Is Due

MR is averaging 16.5 ppg, 9.19 rpg, 57% from the floor, and 68% from the line. And that's while sharing top billing with prolific scorers like Diamond and Jaime.

None of the low posts since I've been watching them play...Izzy Harrison, Bashaara Graves, Glory Johnson, Vicki Baugh, Kelly Cain, Alex Fuller, Alyssa Brewer, Nicky Anosike, Tyesha Fluker, Ashley Robinson, Michelle Snow, Tiffany Johnson...have ever put up comparable numbers.

She's not Brittany Griner. To be honest, there haven't been many players like Griner, but she's a damn good player. She's about as good as it gets.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
You are forgetting, that by definition, M.R.'s improvement must be despite the coaching staff.

Remember, all things good about the LVs are the players overcoming the coaching staff's directives to only sit around and eat Krispy Kreme donuts.

But we were borderline BAD in the regular season last year with a talented group of players--and we've lost 7 games this year with a team that is top 5--nationally--in talent. We should have no more than 1, maybe two losses at most. We are certainly starting to play to our talent level, which is the fundamental job of a coach.

MR is averaging 16.5 ppg, 9.19 rpg, 57% from the floor, and 68% from the line. And that's while sharing top billing with prolific scorers like Diamond and Jaime.

None of the low posts since I've been watching them play...Izzy Harrison, Bashaara Graves, Glory Johnson, Vicki Baugh, Kelly Cain, Alex Fuller, Alyssa Brewer, Nicky Anosike, Tyesha Fluker, Ashley Robinson, Michelle Snow, Tiffany Johnson...have ever put up comparable numbers.

She's not Brittany Griner. To be honest, there haven't been many players like Griner, but she's a damn good player. She's about as good as it gets.

The people who do not see the extreme growth in Mercedes, are the people that don't want to see growth in Mercedes. True, she needs honing, but she has grown by leaps and bounds.

She is not going to be a Bashaara and I am fine with that.

As a coach, if I were to build a team and had to opt for MR or Basha... I go with MR every time. I can build me a power-player easier than I can find me an above average post.

Reactions: 1 person
I had similar expectations but I realize now that Russell is a finesse post. She doesn't like contact.

I disagree. I am unsure how you define "finesse", but she doesn't shy away from contact at all. Any problems she has comes from a lack of agility/mobility. She isn't "nimble" and doesn't move as well as, say, a Parker or a Harrison. As others have noted, her grip strength (and that of the whole team for that matter) could use some improving also.

I disagree. I am unsure how you define "finesse", but she doesn't shy away from contact at all. Any problems she has comes from a lack of agility/mobility. She isn't "nimble" and doesn't move as well as, say, a Parker or a Harrison. As others have noted, her grip strength (and that of the whole team for that matter) could use some improving also.

She confuses me. She doesn't seem to move very fast, seems almost awkward, is smaller (as far as body mass, not height), seems out of position. Then all at once she's there getting the rebound or putting up a shot. I sit there and wonder "how did she do that?". All the while she is taking a beating from the other team yet commits very few fouls. She is in double figures scoring and almost double in rebounds. Is not bad to turn over the ball and can make good passes. Yet she does all this without flash or seeming fluidity. She must be one of those odd ducks out of Oregon, and I'm darned glad she's playing for the LVs.

Reactions: 5 people
Russell is a very good player,don't have any doubt about that,I do wonder why she is out of position at times ? I can understand her going out for the occasional screen ,but she needs to be under the bucket more and do a better job of blocking out or take the 3 pt shot :)

The people who do not see the extreme growth in Mercedes, are the people that don't want to see growth in Mercedes. True, she needs honing, but she has grown by leaps and bounds.

She is not going to be a Bashaara and I am fine with that.

As a coach, if I were to build a team and had to opt for MR or Basha... I go with MR every time. I can build me a power-player easier than I can find me an above average post.

I agree Coach that Russell has improved especially on offense. She needs to add some more aggression to her game. I would like for someone to build her into a power player. I have seen her play with power on defense but not consistently. Sometimes she seems to take plays off while on the floor. However, I think she has a lot to work with. With the talent we have coming in, if Russell improves as much on defense as she has on offense this year, I think we will be a serious contender for a NCAA championship. That is also taking into consideration that Cooper turns into a very good point guard, Green is the All American she was in JC, Nard continues to improve, and we find a consistent 3 shooter. Added to all of that, we develope a few of the freshman to contribute off the bench and maybe one starting as a shooting guard. If Diamond comes back, and continues to play as she has the last two games we will be capable of beating anyone. I am very excited about next year and the team's potential.

She confuses me. She doesn't seem to move very fast, seems almost awkward, is smaller (as far as body mass, not height), seems out of position. Then all at once she's there getting the rebound or putting up a shot. I sit there and wonder "how did she do that?". All the while she is taking a beating from the other team yet commits very few fouls. She is in double figures scoring and almost double in rebounds. Is not bad to turn over the ball and can make good passes. Yet she does all this without flash or seeming fluidity. She must be one of those odd ducks out of Oregon, and I'm darned glad she's playing for the LVs.

Exactly. She has flashes of athleticism that are surprising.

If we break down her game, she has good foot work in the post, nice touch on her shot, and passes well. On the skill side, Mercedes is way above the norm for post players, particularly of the 6-6 variety.

She is no Meighan Simmons but she can get up and down the court pretty well for a player her size. But, I do think-- do the minutes she logs--she takes breathers and goes into a kind of mosey mode.

As I have noted before (apologies of the repetition), I don't think MR had to be very athletic in HS because her size advantages and skill set, let her dominant. Of course, she had the foot problems that also impeded her but again, those only became an issue when she had to match up against more athletic players.

I think she is discovering her latent athleticism and I think she has a major upside.

She generally does not jump 1 inch off the floor (which is why she has her shot blocked with a surprising frequency) but I have seen her (as in the South Carolina) all of the sudden make an explosive move to get a rebound and show a decent vertical leap. So, the capacity is there but it has not become an automatic aspect of her game.

I agree Coach that Russell has improved especially on offense. She needs to add some more aggression to her game. I would like for someone to build her into a power player. I have seen her play with power on defense but not consistently. Sometimes she seems to take plays off while on the floor. However, I think she has a lot to work with. With the talent we have coming in, if Russell improves as much on defense as she has on offense this year, I think we will be a serious contender for a NCAA championship. That is also taking into consideration that Cooper turns into a very good point guard, Green is the All American she was in JC, Nard continues to improve, and we find a consistent 3 shooter. Added to all of that, we develope a few of the freshman to contribute off the bench and maybe one starting as a shooting guard. If Diamond comes back, and continues to play as she has the last two games we will be capable of beating anyone. I am very excited about next year and the team's potential.

I'm thinking this year.

If you think about it, the door is at its widest right now.

Coates played the entire 2nd half and was matched up against MR. Russell scored 8 points and grabbed 9 rebounds against her in 20 minutes.

Not sure what more you expect her to do against a player that is projected to be the #1 WNBA pick in this class.
I expect consistent effort and not so much standing around watching players rebound. She got her shot blocked several times by much smaller players in the Auburn game and it is a fact that smaller players have blocked her shot numerous times this season. She has improved but not as much as Diamond and Nared and she doesn't bring the intensity that they are bringing. Maybe she will get there in intensity and effort right now she is a good player that could be a lot better and should dominate the dribble drivers on defense.

Reactions: 1 person
MR has improved, for sure, but she is shy of contact, and frequently holds her hands up like "I didn't foul." She also runs poorly (leads with her shoulders) and seems to tire easily--isn't even back to the free throw line frequently when the ball is being shot--never mind getting a rebound. But I am glad she is a LV; she is a good team member and when we play weaker teams they seem concerned about her height. She's getting better about hanging in there when up against strong posts, and I love it when she boxes out. I don't think she has any business setting screens; we need her near the basket!

VN Store

Back