Game Thread: Tennessee (17-11, 10-6 SEC) 5 Seed vs Kentucky (12-19, 4-12 SEC) 12 Seed --- 3/7/24 approx 2:15 pm ET (SEC Network)

When's the last time the men's basketball team has made it to the Sweet 16 consistently or even an elite 8? So you thinking Barnes should go to?
Don’t think you can compare Kellie to Barnes by any means he’s a very good coach, can recruit, beat rank teams beat teams wasn’t suppose to win , has won everywhere he’s been. Big difference between those two

The hate for Kellie is overwhelming on this board!
It’s not hate, it’s her coaching and recruiting. She is a mid major coach, look at when she was at Missouri State average at best. She only got this job because she is a former lady vol. Phill was forced to hire her

It’s not hate, it’s her coaching and recruiting. She is a mid major coach, look at when she was at Missouri State average at best. She only got this job because she is a former lady vol. Phill was forced to hire her
What she did at Missouri State was not average. She was winning big up there and went to the sweet sixteen with that team almost the elite 8 lost to Stanford in the last couple minutes of the game. She won that conference tourney a few times. Western Carolina made the NCAA won that league championship and finished second one other year. Her mid major record is elite. Her power five was poor at NC St and at least average at Tennessee. She has finished in the top four in the league five straight seasons and made the NCAA all five seasons.

On the negative like you say recruiting has been the major failure.

What she did at Missouri State was not average. She was winning big up there and went to the sweet sixteen with that team almost the elite 8 lost to Stanford in the last couple minutes of the game. She won that conference tourney a few times. Western Carolina made the NCAA won that league championship and finished second one other year. Her mid major record is elite. Her power five was poor at NC St and at least average at Tennessee. She has finished in the top four in the league five straight seasons and made the NCAA all five seasons.

On the negative like you say recruiting has been the major failure.
Actually, we finished in the top 3 the first 4 years.

Also, in the 2020-21 year, 5 games were cancelled.

2019–20Tennessee21–1010–6T–3rdPostseason not held due to COVID-19
2020–21Tennessee17–89–43rdNCAA Second Round
2021–22Tennessee25–911–53rdNCAA Sweet Sixteen
2022–23Tennessee25–1213–33rdNCAA Sweet Sixteen
2023–24Tennessee18–1111–6T–4th
Tennessee:106–50 (.679)55–24 (.696)
Total:391–258 (.602)

Last edited:
This looks to me like playing for a seven seed in the NCAA. The winner is a 7 and the loser an 8.

I’d prefer a 7 or 10. The most recent bracketology has us as an 8 seed set to play 1 Stanford in the second round. The remaining 1 seeds are USC, OHIO ST and UCLA.

The projected 2 seeds are Southern Cal, Iowa, LSU & Texas.

I could see us beating any of those teams on a good day, with the most realistic shot at Texas or Southern Cal.

We really need to win today.

I’d prefer a 7 or 10. The most recent bracketology has us as an 8 seed set to play 1 Stanford in the second round. The remaining 1 seeds are USC, OHIO ST and UCLA.

The projected 2 seeds are Southern Cal, Iowa, LSU & Texas.

I could see us beating any of those teams on a good day, with the most realistic shot at Texas or Southern Cal.

We really need to win today.
Don’t think they’d put us with SC or LSU again, surely not. UCLA has Betts and Rice, USC has Watts, Iowa has Clark, so that leaves Stanford, OH ST, and Texas, which would be fine with me. Kellie has beaten Vic before, and we played OH ST this year without Rickea, so wouldn’t mind some revenge there, but really, just want to beat AL today, for some payback. One game at a time.

Don’t think they’d put us with SC or LSU again, surely not. UCLA has Betts and Rice, USC has Watts, Iowa has Clark, so that leaves Stanford, OH ST, and Texas, which would be fine with me. Kellie has beaten Vic before, and we played OH ST this year without Rickea, so wouldn’t mind some revenge there, but really, just want to beat AL today, for some payback. One game at a time.
I’d rather Ohio State and Texas as well. UCLA and Stanford I would like to stay away from.

The committee definitely avoids 1st or 2nd round matchups with conference opponents, and says they try to avoid non-conference rematches, but I'm a little skeptical of that.

The committee definitely avoids 1st or 2nd round matchups with conference opponents, and says they try to avoid non-conference rematches, but I'm a little skeptical of that.

If two teams in the same conference are placed in the same bracket, they won’t see each other until the E8 if they advance.

At least that’s how brackets have been organized in the past.

You failed to answer the question.
Let’s answer it for him. This is Rick Barnes’ 9th year at Tennessee, looks like we have a great team this year, who hopefully will do very well in the NCAA Tournament. In his previous 8 years, there were 7 possible years to play in the NCAA Tournament. We went to no tournament in his first 2 years. Since then, the highest our team has gone is the Sweet Sixteen, and that has happened twice (in 7 years).

Kellie has had 3 years to take our team to the NCAA Tournament, we will also go this year. The first year we made it to the second round. In the last 2 years, we have gone to the Sweet Sixteen.

So, Rick took our Tennessee team to the Sweet 16 twice in 7 years, while Kellie took our team to the Sweet 16 twice in 3 years.

There you go. 🙂

I put a lot of stock in Herhoops analysis, and I'm putting their Top 25 below. It looks like we should want to draw a match up with UCLA, Ohio State, or USC. Although I would really like to see us go up against Clark and Iowa. But I also think it would be better for us not to have to travel three time zones to the West Coast so Columbus and Ohio State may be where we want to be.

1709916600891.png

Attachments

• 1709916036117.png
    1709916036117.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 1
Let’s answer it for him. This is Rick Barnes’ 9th year at Tennessee, looks like we have a great team this year, who hopefully will do very well in the NCAA Tournament. In his previous 8 years, there were 7 possible years to play in the NCAA Tournament. We went to no tournament in his first 2 years. Since then, the highest our team has gone is the Sweet Sixteen, and that has happened twice (in 7 years).

Kellie has had 3 years to take our team to the NCAA Tournament, we will also go this year. The first year we made it to the second round. In the last 2 years, we have gone to the Sweet Sixteen.

So, Rick took our Tennessee team to the Sweet 16 twice in 7 years, while Kellie took our team to the Sweet 16 twice in 3 years.

There you go. 🙂
Apples to Oranges comparison.

The two should never be compared.

Anyone see the tweet by Kea’s mom this morning? Seems like she wanted Kellie to “trust” Kea yesterday while in foul trouble. I look at it as it allowed others to step up and Kea getting some rest for today’s game.
I can totally understand her Mom feeling that way, and agree under normal circumstances, but we were able to pull out the win, and now, hopefully, Rickea will be super charged to play today, and the next, and the next.

VN Store

Back