Game Thread: Tennessee (17-10, 10-5 SEC) @ #1/#1 South Carolina (24-0, 14-0 SEC) 3/3/24 12:00 pm EST ESPN

My understanding of that was Plowman and Boyd asked the Board of Trustees for permission to set up a fund thru which athlete salaries would be paid in the future. Other SEC schools looking into it too, but no one has actually done it bc it's not yet legal for schools to directly pay.. It's preperation for what the schools anticipate to be coming next now that NCAA is all but dead. They think it's going to end up with schools paying set salaries, with players still free to pursue their own actual NIL deals thru collectives.

Interestingly, almost all involved openly admit that will end many athletic departments at smaller schools. C'est le vie. Also widely assumed the biggest and richest and football lovingest schools will go out into their own super conference of nfl development.
Thanks. I must have misunderstood the 11 of 14 other schools having it implemented. Need to re-read the article. Was it 11 of the 14 have explored the idea? I was thinking Tennessee was way behind if other schools had done this and we are just now considering it. Then I thought State law may have played a role. We know other states implemented NIL before Tennessee, i.e., Louisiana and California.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Thanks. I must have misunderstood the 11 of 14 other schools having it implemented. Need to re-read the article. Was it 11 of the 14 have explored the idea? I was thinking Tennessee was way behind if other schools had done this and we are just now considering it. Then I thought State law may have played a role. We know other states implemented NIL before Tennessee, i.e., Louisiana and California.
I'll try to find and reread, but I thought UT was one of the first to ask it's board. The article was praising Plowman for once again being in front of everything. But then it went on to say all the big schools are doing this, just getting the legalities out of the way so they can jump start if it becomes necessary. They all anticipate direct pymt from schools to athletes as a way of controlling the madness.

Unless I'm missing something this would be the best news possible for the LVs. Title IX surely means they'll have to share equally w the ladies.

Apparently. Unless someone just wants to come out of the warmth of their heart. That explains why we make the finals for so many but don't end up getting them.

We are able to scrape together enough to get and keep the occassional elite out of the portal. Our donors are more likely to pony up for a proven commodity.

Someone is breaking their fingers right now typing that all of that is just the latest excuse. But it's one side of it, as told by those who ought to know.
Collective are allowed to deal with high school athletes person to person and my understanding is that the coach can now sit in. So if the school could find a lot of money to give to the collective from someone that has it Haslem etc then we could get the dealing going in about three four weeks when we'll know the players that are entering. Collectives could not do that last year so if someone can bust open a piggy bank we might be able to get at least a couple of the players we need.

Reactions: krichunaka
Collective are allowed to deal with high school athletes person to person and my understanding is that the coach can now sit in. So if the school could find a lot of money to give to the collective from someone that has it Haslem etc then we could get the dealing going in about three four weeks when we'll know the players that are entering. Collectives could not do that last year so if someone can bust open a piggy bank we might be able to get at least a couple of the players we need.
Tennessee brand is fans of millions and has Alums of hundreds of thousands. It’s not a population issue it’s a connection issue.

Don.t think schools can provide funds directly yet.
Clark in Iowa -Nike, Buick, HR Block, Hy-Vee, Topps, State Farm. All earned after NIL….talent took over. Doesn’t matter what the city, LA, Baton Rouge, Storrs or Iowa City. If you can play, the brands will call.
Will call for maybe the top 5 players. Not the rest.
Shows you not to listen to the early season hype as they were saying that about a team with no post presence and an average point guard at best. The two main positions you need to win big. Same thing happened with the softball team preseason number two without much pitching depth and the hitting has been suspect.
You add no Tamari of what was hoped and Rickea out for 8 games which we didn't win many. I couldn't believe we were ranked that high no way it was possible with the roster we had. I could believe more like lower part of top 25 if everything went perfectly.
I think most thought Jewel, Jill and Destinee would be bigger factors
20 win season in sight 😎
One of the reasons I don’t hate the extra game

That’s why I think we will get at least 1 elite to take Rickea‘s spot.
There is no requirement what a player gets this year they get next year. Tough decisions are required if you can’t raise funds like we are led to believe.

I think most thought Jewel, Jill and Destinee would be bigger factors

One of the reasons I don’t hate the extra game
Should've been bigger factors, still if no better than a third place maybe second place roster in the SEC. Turns out we beat the Big 12 Champions, Lost to the Big ten Champion, choked away a game to Notre Dame. No Rickea in that one or the poorly played Indiana game. I'm not blaming it all on the players coaches have plenty of blame as well. Could've beat Florida State if we could've made a couple of the 8 free throws we missed. Norte Dame was a win if Rickea wasn't out. Those two move you up a long way from where we are. Then poor showing at A&M and Alabama is totally on Harper and the coaches. No reason to not win those games. So those four give us 21 wins and 7 losses. That is a ranked team.

We were fighting a thin edge to success. Needed a little more offense, a lot more defense. They were in the portal we didn't get them. If they are there this time it is a must to get them.

That is what I'm thinking as well even though we really need at least three.

It's not hard to get transfers, but getting elite transfers is pretty
rare and any team would be lucky to get one. There aren't that many out there--and there's always lots of competition for the top
transfers. I'm sure we'll set our sights high, as we should, but I wouldn't count on getting three elite players from the portal.

There is no requirement what a player gets this year they get next year. Tough decisions are required if you can’t raise funds like we are led to believe.
I personally think it is hard to raise funds when you don't know what the funds are going for. Are we buying rowboats for the rowing team? Does golf get the same as basketball? We need a collective for basketball and transparency of what is being collected and a goal for how much we need. 9000 went to games this season on average so we know we have that many fans to collect some money. We all know if we can't get booster support for women's basketball were probably doomed. Us nickel and dime people can't get the amount that is probably going to be needed. We can help maybe enough to get one player or two. To get a lot of them we need booster support.

It's not hard to get transfers, but getting elite transfers is pretty
rare and any team would be lucky to get one. There aren't that many out there--and there's always lots of competition for the top
transfers. I'm sure we'll set our sights high, as we should, but I wouldn't count on getting three elite players from the portal.
It is hard with the current NIL bidding. Some schools have a lot more booster support for women's basketball than we do. I suspect there will be about 30 to 40 elite type players and about 100 schools trying to get them. If you can get two there and maybe a Mid-major star you can improve your team quite a bit. Need a lot better program for player development as well. We have some players talented enough to get a lot better and some are as good as they are going to get.

Reactions: brittannica
It is hard with the current NIL bidding. Some schools have a lot more booster support for women's basketball than we do. I suspect there will be about 30 to 40 elite type players and about 100 schools trying to get them. If you can get two there and maybe a Mid-major star you can improve your team quite a bit. Need a lot better program for player development as well. We have some players talented enough to get a lot better and some are as good as they are going to get.
There's 2 guards in the Ivy League that will be in the portal. Ivy league doesn't allow extra years.

I personally think it is hard to raise funds when you don't know what the funds are going for. Are we buying rowboats for the rowing team? Does golf get the same as basketball? We need a collective for basketball and transparency of what is being collected and a goal for how much we need. 9000 went to games this season on average so we know we have that many fans to collect some money. We all know if we can't get booster support for women's basketball were probably doomed. Us nickel and dime people can't get the amount that is probably going to be needed. We can help maybe enough to get one player or two. To get a lot of them we need booster support.
To get the Elite players we'll need the Big Booster to anti-up. It's no different than Football or Men's bball. Donations are great , but to compete with the Elite it'll take Big $$$ donors.

30-40 Elite players in the portal ?
Would you count Spear or Powell as elite ?

VN Store

Back