Game Thread Lady Vols Softball Week 12

Tennessee at Miss St.
Texas A&M at Alabama.

We could use some help from Bama hopefully we win and get into fourth somehow.

Reactions: 2 people
Caylan again threw a great game. Grant Williams must have caused Seggern to go in a pretty bad slump. She basically did nothing this series. Leach was in a funk which is so unusual however the freshmen stood out. I don't think the pitchers gave up a HR after the derby Friday. MS state will be hard to sweep but we sure need it. Ark is knocking on the door in the standings as well.

Caylan again threw a great game. Grant Williams must have caused Seggern to go in a pretty bad slump. She basically did nothing this series. Leach was in a funk which is so unusual however the freshmen stood out. I don't think the pitchers gave up a HR after the derby Friday. MS state will be hard to sweep but we sure need it. Ark is knocking on the door in the standings as well.

What does Grant Williams have to do with anything?

Higher ranking than rpi can't get out of the nine spot in the rpi. We need a sweep anything less probably dooms us to playing on the road even if we win the regional. I know still a lot to play really can't afford to lose to Miss St and it is going to be hard down there they have an excellent team.
We need a sweep there and a couple wins in the SEC Tourney. Maybe if we then play great in a regional we will get to play at home. Going to be fun to see what happens this team has inconsistent pitching and hitting don't know from game to game what will show up.
Regardless has been a great season already 42 and 10 and a winning record vs ranked teams including 3 and 0 vs the Pac 12

All but one of our losses are to Top 20 RPI teams and seven are to Top 15 RPI teams. That's a better record than some teams above us in RPI rankings, so I think we can get the 7 or 8 seed. Miss St is #24 RPI, so a loss there would hurt us. We need to sweep to control our own destiny.

We don't control our destiny in the SEC. Even if we sweep Miss St, we'll need aTm to drop a game to Bama to get the 4 seed in the SECT. With our lack of pitching depth, we need the bye more than other teams. Miss St has two really good pitchers. Gonna be tough to sweep OTR, but good teams find a way when the stakes are high.

Ralph said we're a two-pitcher team and we'll ride them as far as we can. Guess that means we won't see Sprang any more this season. Hope Arnold and Moss can stay healthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
All but one of our losses are to Top 20 RPI teams and seven are to Top 15 RPI teams. That's a better record than some teams above us in RPI rankings, so I think we can get the 7 or 8 seed. Miss St is #24 RPI, so a loss there would hurt us. We need to sweep to control our own destiny.

We don't control our destiny in the SEC. Even if we sweep Miss St, we'll need aTm to drop a game to Bama to get the 4 seed in the SECT. With our lack of pitching depth, we need the bye more than other teams. Miss St has two really good pitchers. Gonna be tough to sweep OTR, but good teams find a way when the stakes are high.

Ralph said we're a two-pitcher team and we'll ride them as far as we can. Guess that means we won't see Sprang any more this season. Hope Arnold and Moss can stay healthy.

WE have been a 2 pitcher team for the last 8 years or so. They just cannot or do not get a quality pitcher who actually can pitch every. I wonder how much that has to do with getting commitments from very young pitchers and for that matter players as a whole?:thud:

Hopefully next season we will finally get help and depth on this pitching staff. Ashley Rogers has been tremendous in High School she has great control. Of course she hasn't been with Marty yet. Sprang could rebound next season all she needs to do is get some control of her pitches you have to throw strikes in the SEC batters are patient.
Moss will be a senior she needs to work on getting some movement on some of her pitches good velocity but her fast ball is to straight probably needs to work on a slider that she can control.
Arnold should be even better next season. She has been great and then also terrible. Our team ERA is 2.29 needs to be about a run lower.
This season odds are not good that we advance to the World Series unless we manage home field advantage. At home we can handle almost anybody and I look for us to be going up against an SEC team whether were home or away.

I know we've been more or less a two-pitcher staff for years, but I found it interesting that Ralph was so blunt last week, pretty much shutting the door on Sprang's chances for the rest of the season. I think we're the only SEC team not pitching a FR down the stretch-- and we had the top FR pitcher coming into the season. Both Sprang and Moss have regressed this year. Arnold has been very inconsistent, but her ERA has been improving the past month, and we'll need that to continue if we're to get to the Supers.

There are some really good FR pitchers in the SEC. Most of us thought Sprang would be one of them. Moss, Arnold and Sprang seemed like a solid pitching staff that would take us to the WS. Not sure what happened, but depth is once again a big issue for the postseason. If Sprang can get her ball control back and Rogers can make the transition, we should be in good shape next year. No Gregg, though...

Arnold is one strong productive off season from being the super alpha on this pitching staff. Its pretty clear to me shes the better of the two by a long shot.

Hopefully next season we will finally get help and depth on this pitching staff. Ashley Rogers has been tremendous in High School she has great control. Of course she hasn't been with Marty yet. Sprang could rebound next season all she needs to do is get some control of her pitches you have to throw strikes in the SEC batters are patient.
Moss will be a senior she needs to work on getting some movement on some of her pitches good velocity but her fast ball is to straight probably needs to work on a slider that she can control.
Arnold should be even better next season. She has been great and then also terrible. Our team ERA is 2.29 needs to be about a run lower.
This season odds are not good that we advance to the World Series unless we manage home field advantage. At home we can handle almost anybody and I look for us to be going up against an SEC team whether were home or away.

Cant really disagree with anything you said. I am just bewildered that Gabby has done this badly this whole year. I do not see in any way the #3 ranked player could have been this bad. Someone, and i do not know who that is, has screwed with her mind, and tried to change her motion. If i am her parents i would want a full explanation of the whole reasoning behind it. They very well may and we don't know about it. Just no sense at all. If she is shut down for the year that is another troubling sign, even if it is a medical issue. Morgan never was expected to have to pitch so she gets a pass from me. We need Seggern to suck it up and start hitting again. I think Holcomb needs be somewhere in the lineup and quit stepping across the line most of the time when slapping. For that matter McClain needs to step up and do the same, she is a senior. SM has really helped these last few weeks and we will need her bat. Leach will get back in the groove. One thing we have GOT to clean up is our shotty defense. Of course MG will be fine. :crazy:

I don't get the Sprang regression, either. It's perplexing. She looked strong in her first game against ASU, and they're a Top 10 team. She outpitched Arnold, and both Weeklys commented on how good she looked and how we had three solid pitchers they could count on this season.

I'm guessing Arnold will open and close the Miss St series, with Moss pitching game 2. After giving up six HRs at SPL, wonder how her confidence will be OTR in a hostile venue? I think she'll bounce back and pitch a good game. So I'm optimistic.

I don't get the Sprang regression, either. It's perplexing. She looked strong in her first game against ASU, and they're a Top 10 team. She outpitched Arnold, and both Weeklys commented on how good she looked and how we had three solid pitchers they could count on this season.

I'm guessing Arnold will open and close the Miss St series, with Moss pitching game 2. After giving up six HRs at SPL, wonder how her confidence will be OTR in a hostile venue? I think she'll bounce back and pitch a good game. So I'm optimistic.

I am thinking Arnold as well. I think Matty will have a good series after that funk against ky jelly. They have a better hitting team than MS i think. I watched and watched the replay and that darn ump not one time game Matty the corner however he started to give the other pitcher about the 3rd inning. He got tighter for us and looser for them. I usually don't bit** much about umps but he was blind, and then overruled the HR that clearly was foul to the 3rd base ump and 99% of the fans. That doomed us in the end because we would have won without the extra innings. I also think Karen may could have called more changes but who knows. Matty went through this at TAM last year and recovered. I did not check but i think she is still behind last years HR pace. JHHO!:clapping:

Reactions: 3 people
Caylan had a great weekend

don't know what is up with Matty,sick,injured or just a bad game ?

the Lady Vols need to play great this coming weekend

for those complaining about Ralph's game calling,just check out his overall record :)

I have no idea who it was, but I remember someone here or on another site saying they weren't that impressed with Sprang in hs, that she was overrated. IIRC they said she faced mostly weaker competition and didn't impress against the better comp. Anybody else remember this?

I have no idea who it was, but I remember someone here or on another site saying they weren't that impressed with Sprang in hs, that she was overrated. IIRC they said she faced mostly weaker competition and didn't impress against the better comp. Anybody else remember this?

That may be true but i would think that she has played travel ball for many years and hs normally means very little to ranking. Or at least that is what i have experienced and believe. Regardless, Gabby is not the player we all expected for some unknown reason. I heard Ralph say that she WAS going to be a good pitcher but he just did not know when. :hi:

How do you get a ranking so wrong that a pitcher ranked number 3 can't even throw a strike consistently.
I also think she was better at the beginning of the season. She pitched some quality innings. Then suddenly she can't throw a strike in SEC play. I am sure it has something to do with the changes that were made. Hopefully in the long run they will be beneficial but right now I can see why she won't pitch anymore.

How do you get a ranking so wrong that a pitcher ranked number 3 can't even throw a strike consistently.
I also think she was better at the beginning of the season. She pitched some quality innings. Then suddenly she can't throw a strike in SEC play. I am sure it has something to do with the changes that were made. Hopefully in the long run they will be beneficial but right now I can see why she won't pitch anymore.

All in her head in games. Lights outs in practices and scrimmage situations.

All in her head in games. Lights outs in practices and scrimmage situations.

You might be correct, but I think every pitcher has regressed since they have started here. It's weird but that's what i see.

VN Store

Back