Game Thread Lady Vols at Virginia Tech

I think your right Volfan

but they need to hit a lot more of the wide open shots too

can't win by missing the chip shots

I agree if we see Diamond and Mercedes shoot 7 of 28 or 25 percent we will lose. They need to make at least 12 or 13 out of 28 shots for us to be in the game.

Reactions: 2 people
I think Reynolds has to play the point most of the game. She is a little more steady than Middleton at that position. If she sets her mind to distribute the ball and rebound she plays a key role.

I agree. It's really sad. Tennessee puts fear in no teams anymore. I go in every game against a Power 5 team expecting to loose. A Sweet 16 this season will be great anything else will be surprising. When your Senior pg does not produce and play scared, we will not go very far. Then we really don't have a bench. I wish Dunbar will realize that there are other ways to score besides throwing up 3s. This could be a long season as Mississippi State looks real good also.

The shame of it all is we have the horses to beat unranked teams without question. We have 5 five stars we should never worry about beating the PSU's of WBB. PSU was beaten by Georgetown, I believe by 10 points. The coaching staff had better figure this thing out or they are looking at severe butt beatings by top quality teams.

Reynolds averages very few turnovers. That's her main attribute.

She keeps her TO's down by taking very few chances. She seldom penetrates the lane, seldom makes a skip pass, seldom makes a long pass down court. I guess she's what you might call the "safe" option.

I prefer an aggressive yet disciplined point guard. Middleton, Jackson, and Cooper are all aggressive. The discipline can be learned. I don't think Reynolds will ever be aggressive.

For this team to succeed someone has to take the reins of the PG position.

Reactions: 3 people
She keeps her TO's down by taking very few chances. She seldom penetrates the lane, seldom makes a skip pass, seldom makes a long pass down court. I guess she's what you might call the "safe" option.

I prefer an aggressive yet disciplined point guard. Middleton, Jackson, and Cooper are all aggressive. The discipline can be learned. I don't think Reynolds will ever be aggressive.

For this team to succeed someone has to take the reins of the PG position.

I agree with a lot of what you posted. Last year in the E8, if Reynolds plays, I think we win that game. The team seemed to get on a roll and then BAM! I have always wanted Alexa to play pg because she looks to get the ball inside but she hasn't done a lot with the minutes she's given. Maybe she just needs more time on the court to play through mistakes.

I agree with a lot of what you posted. Last year in the E8, if Reynolds plays, I think we win that game. The team seemed to get on a roll and then BAM! I have always wanted Alexa to play pg because she looks to get the ball inside but she hasn't done a lot with the minutes she's given. Maybe she just needs more time on the court to play through mistakes.

I don't think Reynolds would have changed the outcome. She's not a difference maker. Like Jeff said, she plays too safe and isn't a scoring threat. She's also not a great passer, so she wouldn't have created opportunities for the posts.

For the past two years, Reynolds has been a weak link for the team, and she has yet to prove that this is no longer the case. She is who she is, and she's a senior. Alexa should at least be given the chance to take the starting point over if Jordan doesn't get the job done, especially when the level of competition improves.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I agree if we see Diamond and Mercedes shoot 7 of 28 or 25 percent we will lose. They need to make at least 12 or 13 out of 28 shots for us to be in the game.

those 2 will be the key as to how the season goes,they gotta make those chip shots and some help from the 3 point range is needed on a constant basis

and some 3 point Defense is badly needed too and it kills me when i see Russell out past the foul line :)

those 2 will be the key as to how the season goes,they gotta make those chip shots and some help from the 3 point range is needed on a constant basis

and some 3 point Defense is badly needed too and it kills me when i see Russell out past the foul line :)

One factor in the poor rebounding is the defensive switching, and how slowly they switch back. The defenders are frequently out of position.

Last edited:
One factor in the poor rebounding is the defensive switching, and how slowly they switch back. The defenders are frequently out of position.

This is bad coaching. You don't switch unless you have to--you work through picks. If you switch you create mismatches that put you a disadvantage. If a switch is made, the players should switch back as soon as they can. We switch too much, which is just laziness, and then we don't switch back. This is BAD coaching--there is no reason for this.

And, yes, when are our coaches going to get it in their thick skulls that Russell should not be following her mark out to the top of the key? What the hell is she doing, besides getting way out of position and leaving the paint with no defensive presence. Her mark isn't going to be shooting from the top of the key. The usual stupid basketball. Why do reporters never ask Warlick these things. The Knoxville New Sentinel reporter bends over backwards not to ask any negative questions about out dumb coaching.

As for Reynolds, she has a big body but she doesn't use it. It all comes down to coaching, people--for everything.

The shame of it all is we have the horses to beat unranked teams without question. We have 5 five stars we should never worry about beating the PSU's of WBB. PSU was beaten by Georgetown, I believe by 10 points. The coaching staff had better figure this thing out or they are looking at severe butt beatings by top quality teams.

Lady Vol coaches figure this thing out?

Reynolds could be the X-factor but for some reason I don' t think she has the confidence she should.....She is a big guard and if she looks to just score more it makes us a better team.

Her goal every game should be to set out to get 10-12 points (anything above that is a bonus) and once teams have to account for her ability to score (by attacking the basket and taking the short jumpers) it opens up everything for everybody else.

Teams know that she doesn't attempt to score so it makes it easy to send an extra defender to Diamond or Nared (when they have the ball) and they can triple the post. We have to change that!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I think we'd do better with Reynolds coming off the bench. She could be a very stabilizing influence when we get discombobulated. Other than that, she hasn't brought much to the last several games.

Virginia Tech will be raining 3's all day long, Hill, Cook and Panousis (who hit 5 out of 8) in their win last yr. at TN. We must guard the perimeter and not give these guards wide open looks. HOLLY, please don't have Russell switching out on those guards, because you are inviting a disaster to happen, this will leave their post players (Cook and Magarity) wide open for easy put backs, from missed 3s and mismatches with smaller guards on them. Middleton, Reynolds, Jackson, Nared and Diamond must play tough man to man defense on those guards ( Don't let them take you off the dribble for the penetration and kick to the open man for uncontested 3's). Defense will win this game, are you listening to the game plan HOLLY!!! They are going to play zone, penetrate the creases of the zone and kick and reverse the ball to a wide open player. if you throw it into Mercedes, make sure you have your weak side wings cutting to the basket for easy layups or shots because Mercedes will be triple teamed!! Are you listening HOLLY, lol!!

Last edited:
With the Lady Vols shooting percentage is everything. We usually force as many turnovers as we commit. We usually get as many free throws as the opponent. We usually rebound even or a little better than the other team. If we can't force a lot more possessions through turnovers or rebounds then shooting percentage tells the entire story of the game. I think we need 45 percent today we'll see if we can shoot that well.

82 degrees outside so of course the Wifey asks me at 1pm to bring all the Xmas decoration boxes(humongous collection of crap) from the outside shop/garage. She goes crazy on decorating the house and bushes..... :(

is it gametime yet? :)

82 degrees outside so of course the Wifey asks me at 1pm to bring all the Xmas decoration boxes(humongous collection of crap) from the outside shop/garage. She goes crazy on decorating the house and bushes..... :(

is it gametime yet? :)

Been there
Done that
And got the T-shirt!

Almost game time.
Internet viewing....No TV for Uverse that I can find

VN Store

Back