Game Thread Lady Vols at Virginia Tech

All 4 of them should start next year with Green or Te'a as the 5th starter

I believe that you are correct with your projection of starters. I just do not see very much from this group. They just seem to lack lack the desire. That little 5' 7" guard made us look like fools and the one big made Russell look like a freshman in the first half. Diamond is not the same Diamond we saw at North Carolina. The rest of the crew just seem inept. Russell just does not rule in the paint except every once and a while. Top post players will make her look like a three star high school post player. Some of the things going on is lack of effort while a lot of things have to be placed upon coaching.

Well..next game they better get it together

They will... it's the game after that you have to worry about. The weird thing about this team is that it's very Jekyll & Hyde and it can be so not just from game to game but even from quarter to quarter. I have never seen anything like it.

They are not consistently good or consistently bad which is what makes it so frustrating. They can win 3 games convincingly and then lose or play so poorly you can't even understand how they won any. I cannot imagine what watching film is like for the staff because it's like certain things are just not retained from possession to possession. I for 1 was waiting for a box an 1 on Hicks but maybe they have never practiced that so I don't know.

What are you to do when you don't practice anything other than 1 game plan and that doesn't work? It just seems like they don't make necessary adjustments.

Reactions: 1 person
We only have 8 players so there isn't much to choose from when the players on the floor are missing layups, missing fts, turning over the ball, getting beat on the dribble. Our players aren't very good.

No, we've only got six players. Today’s game made it obvious to me than Nunn is not up to playing at this mid-tier level, and definitely not for the OOC opponents coming up and most of the SEC, except to give Mercedes a breather. Harris apparently isn’t capable either. And Dunbar’s injury, slowness, and defensive liabilities mean she’s only a role player. That leaves us with 6 players, and simple math dictates they're each going to get ~30 mins/game. It doesn't do any good to say Holly needs to bench So-and-so because it just can't happen.

The weird thing about this team is that it's very Jekyll & Hyde and it can be so not just from game to game but even from quarter to quarter. They are not consistently good or consistently bad which is what makes it so frustrating. They can win 3 games convincingly and then lose or play so poorly you can't even understand how they won any. I cannot imagine what watching film is like for the staff because it's like certain things are just not retained from possession to possession. I for 1 was waiting for a box an 1 on Hicks but maybe they have never practiced that so I don't know.

But there are some things that they are consistently bad at...
---standing around on offense
---failure to box out on rebounds
---missing layups

If Holly could fix those 3 things, the team would be 50% better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
They will... it's the game after that you have to worry about. The weird thing about this team is that it's very Jekyll & Hyde and it can be so not just from game to game but even from quarter to quarter. I have never seen anything like it.

They are not consistently good or consistently bad which is what makes it so frustrating. They can win 3 games convincingly and then lose or play so poorly you can't even understand how they won any. I cannot imagine what watching film is like for the staff because it's like certain things are just not retained from possession to possession. I for 1 was waiting for a box an 1 on Hicks but maybe they have never practiced that so I don't know.

What are you to do when you don't practice anything other than 1 game plan and that doesn't work? It just seems like they don't make necessary adjustments.

These girls have been playing all their life (most of them) so stuff you should be able to pick up on the fly, I am sure they played a box and 1 at some level before

We consistently underachieve. We have a problem coach and a problem player.

The Baylor game has the potential to be really, really ugly...especially since they have 4 space eaters that will all but neutralize Russell along with some big guards of their own to take away the guard post up strategy they've been doing against smaller teams.

From listening to the first part of the interview of Holly, it seems she agrees with me: They HAVE to play tough on the little chip shots. They should not be afraid of getting touched, and if they are touched, hard, they need to grit their teeth and put the ball in the hoop. We have big, sturdy girls, not 5'5" 115 lbs!

I just wonder: Many of our girls were the high school stars, and, as such, were likely accorded some deference by other players and the refs in high school. No Coach K rules! That is long past--they must stand their ground, must follow through!

If they are "trying to stay unhurt for pro ball", there needs to be a reality check--NONE of them look like prospects right now. We might as well not pretend. No matter how"skilled," who would take a player with TEN turn overs? Or a center who holds up her hands in a "oops, I did not mean to touch her" stance when she thinks she might be called for a foul? I'm not being mean, just realistic.

They've got to start playing full contact practice, so they can get used to the treatment other teams are giving them. It is long past time for that!

From listening to the first part of the interview of Holly, it seems she agrees with me: They HAVE to play tough on the little chip shots. They should not be afraid of getting touched, and if they are touched, hard, they need to grit their teeth and put the ball in the hoop. We have big, sturdy girls, not 5'5" 115 lbs!

I just wonder: Many of our girls were the high school stars, and, as such, were likely accorded some deference by other players and the refs in high school. No Coach K rules! That is long past--they must stand their ground, must follow through!

If they are "trying to stay unhurt for pro ball", there needs to be a reality check--NONE of them look like prospects right now. We might as well not pretend. No matter how"skilled," who would take a player with TEN turn overs? Or a center who holds up her hands in a "oops, I did not mean to touch her" stance when she thinks she might be called for a foul? I'm not being mean, just realistic.

They've got to start playing full contact practice, so they can get used to the treatment other teams are giving them. It is long past time for that!

Most of the players for the UConns, NDs and Baylors of the world were also HS stars probably used to being the center of their universe, but they play tough. Probably because their coaches toughen them up for playing in the more physical college game. That's not on the players; it's on the coaches.

And yes, it drives me crazy when Mercedes makes that pose. Block the damn shot and if you have a foul to give, send her to the floor. The worst is when she half attempts to block the shot, they make the shot through contact, she does that pose, and picks up the foul anyway while they shoot the FT.

Russell is soooo weak but if she keeps it up she will be embarrassed by Baylor, Texas and South Carolina. Also we should probably just play 2-3 zone the whole year bc we cant guard anyone.

Was at the game, thankfully avoided all of the stopped traffic on I81 to get there. Things I noticed and I hate to call out the players, but they need to own this too.

1- Middleton - I think she made one shot, looks slow on defense. I said she can go help BuTch with his bricks. :birgits_giggle:
2- DeShields - selfish and presses, but I think that's competitiveness. I'm thinking she regrets her transfer.
3- Russell - has to be the weakest center I've ever seen, and slow.
4- Nared - looked like she was playing volleyball rather than grabbing the rebounds
5- Reynolds - not sure what her deal is, now she's injured.
6- Jackson - has she been told not to shoot? I think her main job was the swing pass to someone else. Let her play.:clapping:
7- Offense is too stagnant - they stood around for 5-10secs each time down the floor and when they passed the ball it was on one side of the the lane among three players while the other two watched - there's little motion in the offense, no cutters to the basket or across the lane. Short passes back and forth will not get you open and led to the Hokies jumping the passes and getting easy steals.
8- Holly, Holly, Holly - stomping, whistling and running your hands through your hair doesn't help, nor does wearing a jacket only to take it off 3 minutes in - save on the dry cleaning bill hon and just wear the shirts and pants.

Maybe it will get better, but I'm not feeling optimistic. :mf_surrender:

Reactions: 3 people
Was at the game, thankfully avoided all of the stopped traffic on I81 to get there. Things I noticed and I hate to call out the players, but they need to own this too.

1- Middleton - I think she made one shot, looks slow on defense. I said she can go help BuTch with his bricks. :birgits_giggle:
2- DeShields - selfish and presses, but I think that's competitiveness. I'm thinking she regrets her transfer.
4- Nared - looked like she was playing volleyball rather than grabbing the rebounds
6- Jackson - has she been told not to shoot? I think her main job was the swing pass to someone else. Let her play.:clapping:
7- Offense is too stagnant - they stood around for 5-10secs each time down the floor and when they passed the ball it was on one side of the the lane among three players while the other two watched - there's little motion in the offense, no cutters to the basket or across the lane. Short passes back and forth will not get you open and led to the Hokies jumping the passes and getting easy steals.
8- Holly, Holly, Holly - stomping, whistling and running your hands through your hair doesn't help, nor does wearing a jacket only to take it off 3 minutes in - save on the dry cleaning bill hon and just wear the shirts and pants.

could not agree more:eek:lol:

It appears that is the extent of her coaching. And guess what? It ain't working.

There's enough stench aboard this sinking ship to blame everyone, including the trainers and strength coach. It's time to lay it on the line, Holly. Quit trying to be everyone's best friend. Rattle some cages, sit some butts, teach some fundamentals ... and if you don't have the guts or know-how to do so, please retire.

Enough is enough.

Don't make me have to hold my nose watching a game one more time this year, please. I hope you have some fighters in this next class who were taught the fundamentals (especially how to pass the basketball), Holly, because if not you have one more year as head coach after this one. Your legacy has gotten messy ... quickly.

They will get it together sooner or later. I know patience is not a virtue on this board but they deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point.

They will get it together sooner or later. I know patience is not a virtue on this board but they deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point.

It's not like they have a lot of new players they have to blend in with the existing team. Most of these players have been playing together for years. Last year we finished with 14 losses despite having as talented a team as anyone (except maybe 1) in the country. This year we have less talent because of graduation, injury and lack of talented incoming recruits.
I'm willing to listen but why, outside of blind faith or wishful thinking, would this season will be any better than last year's ?
I want to believe, just give me some facts or a logical premise to hold on to.

It's not like they have a lot of new players they have to blend in with the existing team. Most of these players have been playing together for years. Last year we finished with 14 losses despite having as talented a team as anyone (except maybe 1) in the country. This year we have less talent because of graduation, injury and lack of talented incoming recruits.
I'm willing to listen but why, outside of blind faith or wishful thinking, would this season will be any better than last year's ?
I want to believe, just give me some facts or a logical premise to hold on to.

While the sky might fall later, I just think it is premature to throw in the towel at this point. Same players but a different year. Give them time to figure it out.

Also let`s all remember Holly failing to sign one to 25 -30 recruit to help this team has come back to haunt her. I know some will say but we have the #1 class in 2017 and yes we do but right now is where help was needed. I still think Kyra Elzy would have been a better coach just my opinion.

Also let`s all remember Holly failing to sign one to 25 -30 recruit to help this team has come back to haunt her. I know some will say but we have the #1 class in 2017 and yes we do but right now is where help was needed. I still think Kyra Elzy would have been a better coach just my opinion.

Last year getting on recruits is killing us right now. No bench right now and this is all of HW. It can and will get worse as the year goes on.
I think Kyra would:mf_surrender: be a better coach than HW but she was sent back to Ky. She may have a chance when HW goes home but by then she will have her own program I would think. We can blame Kyra for the lack of recruits last year but HW tells her who to go after and how hard.

VN Store

Back