'18 GA LB JJ Peterson (Tennessee signee)

I am an optimist but I have given many reasons for it. And I acknowledge that he may not make it. But I don't think that is blind. I'm not just optimistic because I want it to be true. There are reasons. Is it blind pessimism for people to state he won't get in just because it hasn't happened yet even though the deadline is next week? Just because some arbitrary timeline from a high school coach keeps changing doesn't mean the deadline has passed. The deadline has always been next Friday so the propst timeline changes have not affected my very realistic view of the actual deadline. It just means it didn't happen when some expected it to.
The deadline has always been the deadline, but the chances of him making it decrease with every week that passes. If you put a linear regression of chances of meeting the deadline from June to now, we would be looking at about an 8% chance of him making it and that decreases daily. Yes, it’s blind optimism to believe in success at that percentage, but hey, people buy lottery tickets every day with a far lesser chance of success. It is what it is at this point.

Note: I desperately hope he makes it too, but I just don’t like our odds right now.

Serious question because I don’t know... has any Tennessee player flunked out and couldn’t play ball because of grades?
I don't know. I see players being ruled ineligible all the time for academic reasons. Not sure about players at UT though.

Serious question because I don’t know... has any Tennessee player flunked out and couldn’t play ball because of grades?

I can’t think of an instance of a player that was being counted on to come back not playing because of grades. However, it was widely reported that CP did not have a choice on whether to come back or go pro because he would not have been eligible the next year. Actually if I remember correctly there were numerous players on that team that hubbs said would not have been eligible for a bowl game had we become eligible

I can’t think of an instance of a player that was being counted on to come back not playing because of grades. However, it was widely reported that CP did not have a choice on whether to come back or go pro because he would not have been eligible the next year. Actually if I remember correctly there were numerous players on that team that hubbs said would not have been eligible for a bowl game had we become eligible

Gotcha 👍🏻 Thanks. I remember CP, doubt he ever stepped foot in a class

Gotcha 👍🏻 Thanks. I remember CP, doubt he ever stepped foot in a class

I had a class with Darick and another player (can't remember who it was)... I think it was Geography... I skipped my fair share of class in my day, but those guys were MIA 90% of the time.

Ran into CP at the bar frequently... The old Hannah's... Bray would frequent the bar called the Hill but he was special and had his own roped off section.

Last edited:
Hopefully he signed a financial aid agreement and not an NLI
Still counted in the 25

13.9.2.3 Limitation on Number of National Letter of Intent/Offer of Financial Aid Signings—Bowl Subdivision Football. [FBS] In bowl subdivision football, there shall be an annual limit of 25 on the number of prospective student-athletes who may sign a National Letter of Intent or an institutional offer of financial aid and student-athletes who may sign a financial aid agreement for the first time.

The deadline has always been the deadline, but the chances of him making it decrease with every week that passes. If you put a linear regression of chances of meeting the deadline from June to now, we would be looking at about an 8% chance of him making it and that decreases daily. Yes, it’s blind optimism to believe in success at that percentage, but hey, people buy lottery tickets every day with a far lesser chance of success. It is what it is at this point.

Note: I desperately hope he makes it too, but I just don’t like our odds right now.
This isn't really a linear problem though. There are many steps to it. And many factors we don't know. So you somewhat arbitrarily put a linear regression on the odds. This is all very pointless though. He has a week to get in, is listed on the official roster, hasn't enrolled in juco yet and has a backup option to still enroll at lower standards this fall due to the new academic redshirt rule. So there are reasons for optimism despite some choosing to be blind to them. Of course it being this late means there are reasons for pessimism too. Making statements that he won't get in seem like either fear of unmet expectations or just feeling the need to make a prediction to feel better about being right to offset the disappointment of him not making it.

Either way. The real answer is after next Friday he will either be enrolled or not. If he is, I will be happy. If he is not, then I will be sad for him that he missed the opportunity, but it will not affect my outlook on the team in any way. He is just one player for us. This was a huge opportunity for him and his family and kids.

Reactions: OrangenSC

giphy.gif

True. I hope I am wrong but at this point I just dont see him ever playing here. It really sucks too because I really thought our LBs with JJ would be much better.
I do not understand that thought..If he is as good as we think he is, then why would he NEVER play here? If he has to go JUCO, do you think that Pruitt is just going to forget him?

Reactions: OrangenSC
I had a class with Darick and another player (can't remember who it was)... I think it was Geography... I skipped my fair share of class in my day, but those guys were MIA 90% of the time.

Ran into CP at the bar frequently... The old Hannah's... Bray would frequent the bar called the Hill but he was special and had his own roped off section.
Hanna’s on the strip is terrible now

Hanna’s on the strip is terrible now
the strip is terrible now. can you even really call it the strip anymore? just looks like any other street in America lined with chain restaurants and shopping centers.

Or you could use the available evidence to make an informed guess and skip the positive vs. negative philosophical BS.

Evidence does suggest he won't make it. That is a realistic statement and such statements don't bother me in the slightest. The incessant hyperbole from people who bathe and delight in negativity is what bothers me, and even more so since it is clear that some are not actual fans. If me calling that out bothers you, I'm sure Frank's fabulous new forum has options that will help.

Evidence does suggest he won't make it. That is a realistic statement and such statements don't bother me in the slightest. The incessant hyperbole from people who bathe and delight in negativity is what bothers me, and even more so since it is clear that some are not actual fans. If me calling that out bothers you, I'm sure Frank's fabulous new forum has options that will help.

It doesn’t bother me, just bores me.

Doesn’t affect the 25 man number.

My point, or question was, that this year we rejected the one linebacker due to a lack of spot, because JJ has it, putting us at the 85 cap. Next cycle I have heard we might not be taking a full 25 due to roster space, so, if JJ doesn't make it in this year and chooses to go elsewhere, that should give us the room to get to 25 or closer.

VN Store

Back