Fulmer's Choices

Fulmer doesn't have a good track record for hiring coaches. We always bargain hunt for coaches and this wouldn't be any different.

I don't think Fulmer will give Warlick an extension and next year she will have to win a league championship or the SEC women's tournament in order to get an extension.

It really is not surprising. Pat was not a very good offensive coach at all, except the Al Brown years. The women's game is trending towards greater offensive production. That would mean her proteges' weakness is magnified.

I really don't agree with this at all. I still think 1989 was her best team. That was well before Al Brown was on the staff (I think he was with Wade Houston at the time - winning about 12 games per season). They didn't play a close game in the NCAA Tournament. Their scores were:

Tennessee 91 LaSalle 61
Tennessee 80 Virginia 47
Tennessee 94 Long Beach St 80
Tennessee 77 Maryland 65
Tennessee 76 Auburn 60

For the season they averaged 81.1 points per game while shooting over 50%. They were athletic, physical, tall and had incredible depth. Gordon, Frost, Charles, Edwards, Head, McCray, McGhee... Fwiw, UConn lost to LaSalle in the first round or we would have destroyed them.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes, he is not going to be destabilize a program, that while underachieving, still wins 25 games and has an excellent recruiting class coming. The people who will determine Fulmer's fate care about the grid iron not LVs basketball.

But, if the LVs have another disappointing season next year, I could see a change being made.

They can have five disappointing seasons, and it won't matter. Football is the cash cow, and the donors are not worried about the LVs, neither from an emotional nor a financial standpoint. As long as they don't have to spend any more money or attention to it, all they want is for Title IX to be satisfied. As long as Holly has alumni players support, that is fine with the donors. A few might have taken a passing interest while Pat was at the top of her game, but now that she is gone? The LV basketball program is about as much concern to them as rowing or tennis.

I think it is time for a change too. But what I think and $1.80 will get you a cup of coffee at waffle house. For the donors, they don't want to throw any more money on it than they have to. And they don't want any bad publicity that might come with firing her.

Fulmer doesn't have a good track record for hiring coaches. We always bargain hunt for coaches and this wouldn't be any different.

“Track record”? He’s been on the job for parts of four months! He’s hired TWO coaches who have yet to coach a game! You French?
1b8qe3.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
IMO, Phil should consult with former players to make a decision. They have a lot invested in the program and can seemingly make a better decision than any of us b/c they know what it's like from the inside out. I don't think this will be a fast process as players are already signed and teams are still playing out this season. I would look to April/May for a decision.

At the very least, someone in authority should tell her that she is not permitted to do any press conferences, or to be interviewed until she is able to do it in a manner that represents her players and the University with professionalism and dignity. Furthermore, they need to let her know that her courtside demeanor must be addressed. It should not include foot-stomping. Players do not need to see their coach sunken in defeat with her head in her hands, either. Pat Summitt was the definition of authority standing in front of her bench. She commanded her players' respect and trust, especially in adverse conditions. She did not like losing, but she was always gracious in defeat, and she knew how to use failure as a catalyst to motivate her players to improve. She held her players accountable for their performance, but she stood up and took responsibility as the Head Coach. I expect someone who played for her and coached with her for all these years to respect and reflect her character above all else. Coach Warlick does not even come close.

Reactions: 6 people
I would choose to let her play with the present contract giving her a one month extension into April. The goals I would set is top three SEC and no less than an elite 8 in the NCAA tourney. Make at least the semi-finals in the SEC tourney. These are low goals we will be a young team next season. Still we have the talent to do this well at least. If she can't make it happen ( and it is obvious she can't ) then we owe her nothing can hire a new coach to take over immediately come April 2019.

The first choice of course is to fire now but the 3 year things is a crying disaster.

You are so funny to think these are low goals. And while we may be spoiled at TN because of our history, WBB is no longer a cake walk into the Sweet 16. Ask Ohio State or any number of schools that didn't make it.

And why do folks think it's somehow an additional indictment of poor performance if you have top recruits? Good recruiting is a step in the right direction, but it doesn't guarantee success. Baylor won 1 championship with what should've been the best women's player ever to suit up and a supporting cast of AA's. Great teams under-perform their "talent" all the time.

Reactions: 4 people
You are so funny to think these are low goals. And while we may be spoiled at TN because of our history, WBB is no longer a cake walk into the Sweet 16. Ask Ohio State or any number of schools that didn't make it.

And why do folks think it's somehow an additional indictment of poor performance if you have top recruits? Good recruiting is a step in the right direction, but it doesn't guarantee success. Baylor won 1 championship with what should've been the best women's player ever to suit up and a supporting cast of AA's. Great teams under-perform their "talent" all the time.

If you can't take 6 to 10 McDonald's All Americans to the elite 8 you are a terrible coach and have not turned these players into the team they should be. Expectations at Tennessee should be high elite 8 should definitely be the low bar. Holly's teams always underperform their talent every season. UConn has no more All Americans than we do yet they never miss the final four the difference would be coaching.

Reactions: 6 people
KL is a fine women's bb commentator & LV alumnus, but she's never coached! Can we be sure she would succeed as a HC? :unsure:

Am I sure? Of course not. But, I am POSITIVE the current coach is not succeeding. It is impossible to improve without change.

When Pat Head (Summitt) was hired, she was a part time graduate assistant for part of a season. How did that work out?

UConn has no more All Americans than we do yet they never miss the final four the difference would be coaching.

Yes, beginning with the part of coaching that concerns getting players with both talent and, even more importantly, the desire to be coached to the max. Further, the recruits must buy in to the concept of team before individual stats. If they pass these tests, they get a UConn offer. Then comes boot camp. Some wash out. The ones who stay get very limited minutes freshman year, while they learn that team ball means something strenuously different from five talented individuals taking shots.

Proof case? Crystal Dangerfield.

Auriemma benched his superstar, Breanna Stewart, I believe her junior or senior year, for not following coaching staff instructions. That helped the team and Stewart.

Go get Kara Lawson. Make it happen, Phil.
Why? She isn't a coach. She makes plenty and doesn't spend long periods away from home. Seriously, ignorant suggestions like this, are going to be the reason we drop off. A player would be nuts to want to come play for such unrealistic, and assine fans.

Reactions: 3 people
Well, to good ole ignorant me, Kara hits the nail on the head about what the problems have been. She says it nicely, but you know what she is saying. I don't know for sure if she could fix it, but she would never sit in a meeting and saying, "I don't know."

Reactions: 2 people
If you can't take 6 to 10 McDonald's All Americans to the elite 8 you are a terrible coach and have not turned these players into the team they should be. Expectations at Tennessee should be high elite 8 should definitely be the low bar. Holly's teams always underperform their talent every season. UConn has no more All Americans than we do yet they never miss the final four the difference would be coaching.

You can’t win a debate with holly’s Friends. Don’t waste your time trying. She is golden to them.

At the very least, someone in authority should tell her that she is not permitted to do any press conferences, or to be interviewed until she is able to do it in a manner that represents her players and the University with professionalism and dignity. Furthermore, they need to let her know that her courtside demeanor must be addressed. It should not include foot-stomping. Players do not need to see their coach sunken in defeat with her head in her hands, either. Pat Summitt was the definition of authority standing in front of her bench. She commanded her players' respect and trust, especially in adverse conditions. She did not like losing, but she was always gracious in defeat, and she knew how to use failure as a catalyst to motivate her players to improve. She held her players accountable for their performance, but she stood up and took responsibility as the Head Coach. I expect someone who played for her and coached with her for all these years to respect and reflect her character above all else. Coach Warlick does not even come close.

Excellent post.

What is most surprising is that despite Pat's success she really doesn't have an impressive coaching tree. There isn't someone in her lineage that is a no brainer hire.

I thought Nikki Caldwell would develop into one, but she’s been mediocre at LSU, considering they’re only 10 years removed from a run of 5 straight Final Fours. Never been past the Sweet 16 and just failed to win a tournament game for the 4th straight year.

There's so much to discuss here, but I'm just going to point out one.

UConn has had nearly every #1 recruit for the past decade. They don't try nor do they want the top class. They just want the best of the best. And with questionable recruiting, they most always get what they want.

Then they sit them on the bench for 2 years training the best ones and weeding out the lesser ones.

It's a great machine, but can you really judge other programs against it? As a goal, sure, but to the point of firing a 25-win coach...to hire...whom?

Pump the breaks.

Yes, beginning with the part of coaching that concerns getting players with both talent and, even more importantly, the desire to be coached to the max. Further, the recruits must buy in to the concept of team before individual stats. If they pass these tests, they get a UConn offer. Then comes boot camp. Some wash out. The ones who stay get very limited minutes freshman year, while they learn that team ball means something strenuously different from five talented individuals taking shots.

Proof case? Crystal Dangerfield.

Auriemma benched his superstar, Breanna Stewart, I believe her junior or senior year, for not following coaching staff instructions. That helped the team and Stewart.

Just read this. Posted nearly the same thing a few minutes ago. Well-said.

You can’t win a debate with holly’s Friends. Don’t waste your time trying. She is golden to them.

Not one of her "friends" thinks Holly's perfect. But they think she deserves better treatment than to have her passion, loyalty, hard work, and success be evil spoken of and judged unfairly against Pat's ghost.

Excellent post.

Definitely bask in the praises of someone that's been on this forum for 4 years and has managed 8 comments per year, mostly negative.

I won't even mention the comments filled with fangurling of other teams' coaches or drooling over all things UConn. I guess LVBB has truly fallen low when folks that do this can pass for LV fans.

Last edited:
Not one of her "friends" thinks Holly's perfect. But they think she deserves better treatment than to have her passion, loyalty, hard work, and success be evil spoken of and judged unfairly against Pat's ghost.

What are you, 13.....CHW signed up for the "evil" speak when she deposited her first check as HC.....put your big Girl Panties on.....

Serious question Chatt......how many years more should CHW be given to return the LV to the program that they SHOULD be? (and don't come back with the "25 wins" BS).....

VN Store

Back