Fulmer to be named AD soon

There's nothing embarrassing about Fulmer getting hired as AD. However, I really don't like him over Blackburn because even if Phil does a great job, he won't be there but for 5 or 6 years in my opinion. Blackburn has more experience and is younger so the chances of having to do another AD search in near near future goes down.

Reactions: 1 person
I like Phil, but this is a terrible hire and there's absolutely no other way to spin it.

He has ZERO administrative experience. It would be a different story if he had found a job in an AD over the last eight years but he has not.

This stinks of micromanagement. The BOT wants a puppet.

Side Note: Coaches have hated working for Barry Alverez at Wisconsin since he became AD. I wonder what it'll be like working for Phil...

Reactions: 2 people
Guys Barry Alverez is doing a great job at Wisconsin....how much AD experience did he have before leaving coaching? The same could be said about Ray Tanner at South Carolina and John Cohen at Miss State....Geez give Phil a chance is all I'm saying....we know a lot of money will be raised and can't wait to see what other projects he will get done being AD

Reactions: 8 people
If Phil truly loves his university he would set his ego aside and say "I appreciate being considered but I am not qualified for the job as the UT AD. I would love to help out in other ways but not as the AD."

I don't think that highly of Phil but him taking this job would make me think even less of him.

You say this as though he probably hasn't spent the last several months twisting arms trying to get it.

Reactions: 4 people
We hired a 65 year old with zero administrative experience in an athletics program that doesn't involve football whose two best qualifications are 1) Loves Tennessee and 2) Won a national title twenty years ago.

What else do you call that?

He is 66. will be 67 in September

Guys Barry Alverez is doing a great job at Wisconsin....how much AD experience did he have before leaving coaching? The same could be said about Ray Tanner at South Carolina and John Cohen at Miss State....Geez give Phil a chance is all I'm saying....we know a lot of money will be raised and can't wait to see what other projects he will get done being AD

Bielma and his successor hated working for the guy

I don't think they'd discriminate against him on the basis of age because that would be ageism and it's illegal.

No and if Tennessee needed a two year guy who had experience I'd be perfectly okay with that but we need a 10-15 year guy in right now and stop playing musical chairs.

All these threads about fulmer and no one has given a reason he should be the guy other than he loves ut (but make no mistake he loves himself more). Has to be another reason right?

Reactions: 4 people
i'm not sure what football you've been watching but here are few if any oldschool power i running football teams anymore. every school and nfl team runs spread concepts and power concepts. that brand of "real football" is gone so its gonna be a long wait for you.

Spread concepts were used by Fulmer too. Running an NFL style offense really just means you're not running a primarily zone read/option offense.

There are NFL teams that run heavy spread(Packers, Pats, Cards), there are NFL teams that are run heavy/heavy personnel(Titans, Cowboys), there are teams that mix it up(Steelers), etc.

I don't know why it's fallen out of favor so much in the college ranks. I suppose just taking advantage of all the athletes we have now'adays. But you still have highly successful programs like Stanford, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa(eh, their success comes and goes, but whatever), Michigan State, Bama isn't too far removed from winning championships with pro style offense, Mark Richt has incorporated more spread in to his offense in recent years, but he had a lot of success out of pro style, etc.

I'm fine with either offense personally, both can win championships.

Let's not even forget the fact we just hired somebody who is turning 67. He's got what, maybe five years max as AD? Why hire somebody in his 60's?

That's basically what Alabama has done the last 2 times they've hired an AD. In the end it's all a matter of who can get the donors going in the same direction. I don't get this either, but maybe it'll turn out better than I think it will.:dunno:

What do you think he will do with the Holly situation??? Does he have what it takes to fire her if she doesn't turn things around??????

Alvarez hasn't been able to keep a football coach.

There are enough coaches that can run the style.
name me teams that run a strict power running game? alabama? they just got beat by a clemson team that ran hybrid zone/spread/power system. wisconsin? everybody on volnation would loose their sh*t if we hired a wisconsin oc. stanford? they still run spread and zone concepts. there's not 1 pro team that runs the power system you speak of.

Read the 247 article. We haven't yet. Sounds like a power struggle.

Also, boosters say things.

My guess would be some of the boosters want more direct say again.
Fulmer could end up in more of a figurehead and ambassador role than dictating the day-to-day business.

VN Store

Back